Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chassis Dyno opinions?
restore2seater
post Dec 24 2010, 09:27 AM
Post #21

Future 914 copilot.

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,037
Region Association: None

Something else to consider is factory support. Help with setting up or training of the software ....
If I remember correctly Jake had some issues with one of his engine dynos when he first set it up.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Dec 24 2010, 09:30 AM
Post #22

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I only do old VWs and both vintage and modern Porsches.. We generally don't rent out the dyno to locals, we have it for our own use primarily.

The pod style does have some benefit if you were going to make the unit portable, especially with weight, as my rollers weigh 5,000 pounds..

As far as liability goes, if I ever do dyno someone else's vehicle on my rollers I look them in the eye, shake their hand and tell them that failure is real. If their response to that isn't what I like to hear, the car is unstrapped and they go home...
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Dec 24 2010, 09:57 AM
Post #23

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305
Region Association: None

Wow!! Thats a lot of money!!

I know its not about cars, but a good friends motor cycle shop here in Japan closed down with this never ending recession and he sold the dyno they had there for like $4,000 dollars (used). I think it was like 10 times the price when they bought it new around 15 years ago or so. Basically what I am saying is that if you are serious you may want to start of with a used dyno that are available and learn with that...when you progress and feel you need to upgrade to a newer and more effiecent model than you should.

Also you could think about doing simple power checks for around the 30 - 40 dollar mark, just a simple check to find out how many HP are being made. I use to do that a lot with my older motorcycle a couple of years ago when I added new engine parts to check the acutal improvements

I think potential customers would be interested in a quick and cheap dyno run option or power check for a limited price, not sure of the price but if it was cheap enought you could make a semi decent business out of it.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 07:33 PM