Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Troublesome Pertronix Install, something to watch out for
Rand
post Jun 6 2011, 01:27 PM
Post #21

Cross Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

QUOTE(windforfun @ Jan 5 2011, 03:17 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 4 2011, 09:24 AM) *

WE thought that the pertronix and compufire units, when introduced for the type four distributor, were the be all end all, and in the beginning it was: Units that eliminated the messy points condenser, kept the dwell and timing steady, provided better fuel economy, easier cold starts, and smoother idle, AND would hide under the distributor cap.
What we have learned over the years is that it has a high failure rate due to the excessive heat of the air cooled engine, actually reduces the total horsepower of the engine, AND has clearance problems! I would NEVER drive my 914 on a long trip without carrying a set of points and a condenser with me.
Too bad we thought that we had a solution. I have one in my Dad's 64 Riviera and it has never failed, but of course that is a water cooled engine with a BIG distributor!

Do you still sell these?

Nah, he would never sell a product he didn't believe in. That's not his style...
http://www.autoatlanta.com/detail.php?Part...al_number=28882

Kidding aside, I like the Pertronix. Sure, I would always carry points in the onboard parts/toolkit just in case. But I never had trouble with them and appreciated the benefits. To each his own.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Als914
post Jun 6 2011, 02:00 PM
Post #22

Lighting my way

Member No.: 5,346
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 31 2010, 09:23 PM) *

I rebuilt a distributor today and installed a Pertronix unit, and ran into a problem that I never had/noticed before. This was a 039xxx205A distributor and the problem was that the little 'finger' in the bottom right was running into the Pertronix mounting plate. This interference was completely eliminating any vacuum advance.

5 minutes with a file and it was all fixed.

If you've got a Pertronix, this would be something to look for and should be visible simply by removing the cap and rotor and jumping in the engine bay with a flashlight.

Always learn something new. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Good job on notching the plate. When I installed mine some fifteen years ago the kit included the notched and non-notched plates.
+Quote Post
Crash207
post Jun 8 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 13,108
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I just bought and installed a "Hot Spark" unit in mine. similar to the pertronix. had exactly the same issue with the baseplate but 5 mins with the file and its fine. BTW the hot spark mod is working like a champ so far. best 10 mins and $50 i have spent on this project so far.
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Jun 8 2011, 11:08 PM
Post #24

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

Never heard of "Hot Spark" before - do you have a link? Can you leave your ignition on like a Pertronix2?
+Quote Post
Derek Seymour
post Jun 8 2011, 11:32 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 10,151

Personally IMHO if your engine is "close" to stock either run stock or this. http://www.hot-spark.com/Hot-Spark-SVDA034-3BOS4U1.htm

You need both vacuum and centrifugal advance for a Porsche Type IV or 1750 SC/912 engine.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 9 2011, 12:02 AM
Post #26

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Unless you use stock D-Jet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jun 9 2011, 07:17 AM
Post #27

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

Someday, everyone will realize that the vacuum advance is for emissions and gas mileage only. Think about it ... it will only function when there is vacuum available ... idle, part throttle cruise or de-acceleration. When accelerating, the advance is mechanical only.
+Quote Post
reharvey
post Jun 9 2011, 07:46 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 9,308
Region Association: North East States

I've installed Pertonix on four of my 914s and there was always some issue getting them to fit and work properly. Had a problem with all of the issues mentioned here. Once they're set up they seem to work very well. Rayjay
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 9 2011, 11:31 AM
Post #29

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(ThinAir @ Jun 9 2011, 01:08 AM) *

Never heard of "Hot Spark" before - do you have a link? Can you leave your ignition on like a Pertronix2?

recently put the hot spark unit with coil in after car had quit the week before(points went, bad coil too) so i thought i would give it a try- cranked right up- ran great for 3 days, then car started missing - its electrical, but have not been able to chase it down yet- not ready to say the unit went bad already, i will know tonight when i trouble shoot it and try a spare- i'll let you know(could be injector points)- but for the 3 days it was the best it has run or idled since ive had the car in 2 years.

pw

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Aug 1 2018, 11:26 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 15,057

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 9 2011, 10:31 AM) *

recently put the hot spark unit with coil in after car had quit the week before(points went, bad coil too) so i thought i would give it a try- cranked right up- ran great for 3 days, then car started missing - its electrical, but have not been able to chase it down yet- not ready to say the unit went bad already, i will know tonight when i trouble shoot it and try a spare- i'll let you know(could be injector points)- but for the 3 days it was the best it has run or idled since ive had the car in 2 years.

pw

Do you have djet? You may need to clean and lube your trigger points in the bottom of the distributor.
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Aug 1 2018, 11:37 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Had Pertronix in my 73 911 and never had a problem with it for over 15 years. Beats the heck out of points and a condenser. To me, that is just Neanderthal tech.
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Aug 2 2018, 02:39 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 17,338

QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Aug 1 2018, 10:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 9 2011, 10:31 AM) *

pw

Do you have djet? You may need to clean and lube your trigger points in the bottom of the distributor.

Well if he hasn't fixed it in the last 7 years, I doubt he's going to bother now!
+Quote Post
914werke
post Aug 2 2018, 08:04 AM
Post #33

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nah. sure it still on jack stands
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 2 2018, 09:29 AM
Post #34

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

blast from the past! - let me see if I can recall the issue- it was not the hotspark module, in fact I am still running that same module with out an issue at all. - I had and issue with the FI grounds shorting out on one bank , and I had a MPS take a crap as well. but if I remember correctly the issue back in 2011 was the fi grounds and some other short so I ended up buying a new harness from Jeff Bowlsby, got a different MPS which later both got rebuilt when the kits from Tangerine racing came out. at some point a few years ago I was getting a bucking issue that turned out to be the TPS circuit board, which was replaced by the new ones from davesprinkle.

Yes it is 2.0 D-jet on mine anyway, - oh and I have the new 123ignition distributor that will be going in soon.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 2 2018, 11:51 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Have had fitment issues,the Ignitor II kit I bought for my Bosch 6 dizzy wasn't ideal the base mounting plate didn't line up properly and needed correction.
Fair from perfect but not a huge deal.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 3 2018, 12:19 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 7 2011, 07:27 AM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Jan 5 2011, 03:17 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 4 2011, 09:24 AM) *

WE thought that the pertronix and compufire units, when introduced for the type four distributor, were the be all end all, and in the beginning it was: Units that eliminated the messy points condenser, kept the dwell and timing steady, provided better fuel economy, easier cold starts, and smoother idle, AND would hide under the distributor cap.
What we have learned over the years is that it has a high failure rate due to the excessive heat of the air cooled engine, actually reduces the total horsepower of the engine, AND has clearance problems! I would NEVER drive my 914 on a long trip without carrying a set of points and a condenser with me.
Too bad we thought that we had a solution. I have one in my Dad's 64 Riviera and it has never failed, but of course that is a water cooled engine with a BIG distributor!

Do you still sell these?

Nah, he would never sell a product he didn't believe in. That's not his style...
http://www.autoatlanta.com/detail.php?Part...al_number=28882

Kidding aside, I like the Pertronix. Sure, I would always carry points in the onboard parts/toolkit just in case. But I never had trouble with them and appreciated the benefits. To each his own.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) no issues what so ever with many units fitted ,having spare parts for these systems is like carrying a second spare tyre because you might get 2 flats in a drive.
Noticed on here some don't run the right coils with these units also,maybe reason for failures (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 10:51 AM