Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> switching to the dark side, ghia > 914 conversion
need4speed
post Apr 11 2003, 07:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 564

I've owned a 72 Ghia cabriolet for about 3 years now. I installed a 1600 cc 912 engine (w/Dellortos) in it, sway bars, and fuchs wheels. I had to remove the 912 engine though, because the rings are shot. While it had the 912 engine, she really moved. Now it has a stock 1600dp.

At first, I really got off on how much attention I got while driving the Ghia. But it just plain didn't offer the sporty performance I've been craving. I'd also like to explore the wonderful world of Fuel Injection. Ideally, I'd like to get an older 911, but they're a bit too expensive for me. So lately, I've been thinking of going the 914 route. The 914's looks never really appealed to me, but I hear a lot of good things about it's road handling characteristics. And they seem to be in my price range.

About all I know is that ideally, I want one that's a side-shifter transmission, and especially one that's grandfathered out of emissions regs in California (73, 74?). And one that has not been converted back to carbs.

Any other tips?
I'm getting ready to sell the Ghia. I'll probably put it's stock wheels back on, and set the fuchs aside for my eventual 914 purchase.
I probably also will want to sell my 912 engine and VW conversion parts (exhaust, engine tin, throttle linkage, clutch throwout arm, etc.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
need4speed   switching to the dark side   Apr 11 2003, 07:31 PM
Brad Roberts   I'm not sure where Arroyo Grande is, but I...   Apr 11 2003, 08:01 PM
Jeroen   Don't worry about the looks of the car When yo...   Apr 11 2003, 08:02 PM
SirAndy  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 05:41 AM