Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> rustoration classes, gauging interest
scotty b
post Jan 23 2011, 09:42 AM
Post #1

rust free you say ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

I'm thinking about offering rust repair and possibly body and paint classes at my shop. The idea is that for a fee, you bring your car to my shop. I provide the tools, space and guide you through doing a repair yourself. You would need to plan ahead as to what area you want to focus on repeairing, have the new panels in hand upon arrival. No interior, no engine or transmission, that way we can put the car on a rotisserie to gain complete access to the problem areas. If the owner wanted to bring a complete car down and do a whole disassembly to learn how the car is put together, we could do that as well.

My intent is for these to be one on one classes as I don't have the room to have 2-3 additional cars at the shop. What I would be willing to do, is have one car that is being worked on by the owner, and for a very minimal fee, others could attend to observe and ask questions.

For the one on one class, the attendee would learn to weld ( MIG ), use basic air tools, lay out cuts for patch panels, make cuts, prepare surrounding metal prior to welding in the new panel. Fitting and cutting of the new panel, how to correct mistakes in fitment, controlling heat warp when welding. Hearing, eye, and hand protection would be provided, as well as an auto darkening helmet.

Cost would be around 400.00 per 8 hour day + materials, I would cover lunch and drinks. Additional attendees at 50.00 each, and I would still cover lunch for all.

Also possible would be a " tech " session where a group could come in for a day, ask questions, I could have a customers car on standbay to flip around and use as a visual presentation. This would be more of a Q&A type session not an actual hands on working class. Again 50.00 each, and all the b.s.-ing we can handle afterwards :beer2:Maybe even go for a spirited drive during the day

If there is interest I might entertain someone leaving their car at the shop if they wanted to do multiple sessions over a period of time for a full restoration.

One thing to keep in mind is a hell hole repair or complete floor pan replacement is close to a full weeks work, so do not expect a one day class to net you a brand new hell hole (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Whatchu think ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
AndyB
post Jan 23 2011, 09:50 AM
Post #2

The Governor is watching me

Member No.: 11,595
Region Association: North East States

Sounds like a really great idea. Too bad your 10 hours away (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Haudiosolutions
post Jan 23 2011, 09:53 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,284
Region Association: South East States

I wish I lived closer to Richmond VA. Sounds fun.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 23 2011, 09:53 AM
Post #4

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I'd love it. Now just move your shop about 2200 miles to the west. Shaun was going to do something like this but I think his shop relocation took precedent. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jan 23 2011, 09:55 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

I wish your shop was in beautiful, sunny, warm, Southern California!! There has been talks about getting one of the shops in So. Cal. to do the same thing including a welding class, but so far nothing has come together yet...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 23 2011, 10:29 AM
Post #6

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

In 8 hours you could have the work done that would take 6 months for the average hobbiest going it alone and teaching himself along the way. If you are on the east coast and have a car that needs the work, rent a trailer for the weekend, load up your car and drive to Richmond.

If you spent $1000 doing this for a weekend, chances are you would actually come out ahead in cost when everything is tallied out.

Zach
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 23 2011, 10:47 AM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 23 2011, 11:29 AM) *

In 8 hours you could have the work done that would take 6 months for the average hobbiest going it alone and teaching himself along the way. If you are on the east coast and have a car that needs the work, rent a trailer for the weekend, load up your car and drive to Richmond.

If you spent $1000 doing this for a weekend, chances are you would actually come out ahead in cost when everything is tallied out.

Zach

I agree! It's so easy to spend a lot of time and money going in the wrong direction.
+Quote Post
914itis
post Jan 23 2011, 10:48 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States

Why didnt you start this a few months ago?

Great Idea, I may not ned the whole 8 hrs but I may need a retouch session. If you are gonna be at the Hershey meet, you may give me an idea of how many hours I may need. just litle things here and there...
It definitely sounds great!!!!
+Quote Post
Ericv1
post Jan 23 2011, 10:52 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,518
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've need to replace an outer suspension console. Is that something that could be completed in a day?
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Jan 23 2011, 10:54 AM
Post #10

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

I still realy like the idea and want to do it out here in San Diego but as 76-914 said, the shop move put it on the back burner. my new shop is a way bigger better location for the class. Scotty's format sounds a little different. I dont think you can fix any rust repair in a day due to chemical reaction times and drying times. the part that takes time and knowledge of proper technique is all in teh prep work that Scotty talked about above.

the PCA performance driving school is in March so after that

Scotty, when would you do your class? summer I presume. maybe we could do a web cam simulcast. I could put you up on teh big wall with the projector. we could have two instructors on two coasts. I already have a rough draft of my lesson plan. rust, rust, rust
+Quote Post
d914
post Jan 23 2011, 11:06 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904

great idea,,,,, you would have to be one great teacher,,cause I really suck at this body work stuff!!! and like the others a bit far,, but great idea.. There is nothing like getting pointed in the right direction and learning to do these things yourself!!
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Jan 23 2011, 11:09 AM
Post #12

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

bodywork takes talent...or being ScottyB
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jan 23 2011, 12:03 PM
Post #13

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Great idea. If a web cast can be done we might find a place here in North Texas to
simulcast. People here might put in $20 ? To cover local costs and send $5? to Scotty to cover broadband camera costs. If East and West get this organized and costs figured Ill be Texas point on getting this set up here.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jan 23 2011, 12:08 PM
Post #14

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

PS. Since Buttercup was filmed and Dr Evil is experienced in group sessions. You might pick their brains. Hope something can be worked out. Scotty B. It's a good thing you're offering.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 23 2011, 05:24 PM
Post #15

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Ericv1 @ Jan 23 2011, 08:52 AM) *

I've need to replace an outer suspension console. Is that something that could be completed in a day?

In a word....no. I am assuming your console needs replacing due to rust ? If so then you WILL have hell hole/long issues as well.

After giving this some more thought What I can also do, is offer a price break for anyone that wants to do multiple days, since most of these repairs take 2-5 days for me to do myself without giving instruction, with the hell hole/long being the worst. I'm thinking 400 for one day, 350 for the second and 300 for any after that, with a week long session being a set 1250.00.

There is also a possibility of having 2 students with 2 cars at a time. If 2 of you want to get together and do this I could give an even better price break. I can not do more than 2 at a time due to limited space, and I need to make certain my time isn't spread too thin, any more than 2 students and I don't think I could give each an appropriate amount of attention.

Keep in mind you are not only getting your car structurally repaired, you are also going to be learning proper welding techniques, proper fitting techniques, proper finishing techniques. This alone will save you a LARGE amount of time and headache over figuring it out on your own. My only warning is you will go away wanting to buy some tools, and when you go to do your next car, you will already know how to proceed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Sean, I'm not doing this as a one time event. I am offering this as ongoing one on one classes that can take place any time someone wants to, so I don't think the teleconference thing could really apply. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I'm open to your ideas and suggestions as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

BandJoey this actually came about from a conversation Evil and I had last night (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) There is also a tranny clinic possibility at my shop this year, so anyone interested in making that trek speak up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
strawman
post Jan 23 2011, 07:01 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

Damn, too far away! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Jan 23 2011, 07:14 PM
Post #17

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414

What a great idea. I think it took me four weekends to figure out how to put on
one patch when I started. This would be such a help to anyone wanting to learn
this. I wish I lived closer so I could learn from Scotty. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

John

+Quote Post
plas76targa
post Jan 23 2011, 07:34 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 1,700

Great idea Scotty. i'll have to send Katherine over to Williamsburg for the day (or two)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 23 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #19

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

Finally home, and the compressor is in the garage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Scotty and I talked about this today while I was hanging out with him at his shop. For those of you wishing he was closer, it would make sense to fly into Richmond and take classes on repair techniques. Scotty was mentioning that he could also teach people how to weld, specifics on repairs on the cars at the shop, and other lessons and examples. Maybe at a discounted price since your car will not be getting worked on and you will just be learning the skills to take back with you and repair yours at your location.

Basically, Scotty has the skills and ability to teach you how to do quality repairs. You can pick his brain, practice your skills at the shop until you get it under his supervision, see how it is done on other cars at the shop if you dont have your own. This makes flying in for some quality time very worth while.

If any of you have ideas how this could be made better and more appetizing, post them up. Take advantage of Scotty's abilities, I have and am completely spoiled now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

PS - I am receiving no compensation for my endorsement (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 24 2011, 12:21 PM
Post #20

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) for Monday

Who wants to learn to weld and do body and paint???
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 03:40 AM