Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another coilover question thread, threaded collars for Koni / Bilstein, same size?
PlaysWithCars
post Jan 23 2011, 05:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,323
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sorry if this has been covered already, but all of the searching and reading I've done has only led to confusion.

I bought a set of new threaded collars as part of a package with new Koni sport shocks. The collars didn't fit as tight as I would have expected so I pulled out a spare set of Bilstein shocks to see it they fit them any better (I recalled reading that Koni and Bilstein required different sized collars and thought I may have gotten the wrong ones). Anyway, they fit the Bilsteins about the same. So, out came the calipers and the shock bodies are essentially the same diameter: Bilstein - 1.973" / Koni - 1.978". I also measured two other shock sets and got the same results. So, I'm concluding the shock bodies are essentially the same. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I found this post in the forum (http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=coilover) that talked about using an adapter from Coleman Racing and this one from JP where he used a plastic "shim" to get his fitting correctly (http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=coilover). Is this just nature of the beast that they don't fit tightly and need to have a adapter or shim installed? Is it the same story regardless of shock manufacturer?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jan 23 2011, 06:06 PM
Post #2

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

[[b]quote name='plays with cars' date='Jan 23 2011, 03:17 PM' post='1421596']
I found this post in the forum (http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=coilover) that talked about using an adapter from Coleman Racing and this one from JP where he used a plastic "shim" to get his fitting correctly (http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=coilover). Is this just nature of the beast that they don't fit tightly and need to have a adapter or shim installed? Is it the same story regardless of shock manufacturer?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
[/quote]

I don't know if the shim is *needed*, but I don't like stuff rattling around.....thus the shim stock. Without the shim, the collar can get offset to the spring clip keeper on the shock bottom & start pounding the collar out of shape. I can say that as installed it's held up well with no problems.....for 6-7 years of rough AX venues.

Here's what I mean by rough.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Jan 26 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,323
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

WOW! Simply wow. Was that at PIR?

Back to the coil over question, where did you get the plastic material you used?
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jan 27 2011, 07:07 AM
Post #4

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(plays with cars @ Jan 26 2011, 08:15 PM) *

WOW! Simply wow. Was that at PIR?

Back to the coil over question, where did you get the plastic material you used?

I got the shim stock at a tool supply outfit up the street. It is commonly used in machine shops & comes in varoius thickness .002 to .05 or so. Cambell Hardware would probably a good spot in the Seattle area....if it still exists. That was 35 years back.

Yes, PIR. An unforunate job of cone setting in the South Pits.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 29 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #5

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I had the same concern with the collars fitting a bit loosely, although I chose to not do anything about it (yet). Has not been a problem in practical usage thus far. Although I drive on relatively smooth tracks with no JUMPS like above!
+Quote Post
speed metal army
post Jan 30 2011, 02:03 PM
Post #6

Waiting for the rain to stop...

Member No.: 12,137
Region Association: Canada

I want brakes in the front like the vette has!lol (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jan 30 2011, 06:43 PM
Post #7

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(speed metal army @ Jan 30 2011, 12:03 PM) *

I want brakes in the front like the vette has!lol (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I tried out the brakes in this 944 .....ayup, pretty good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 09:43 AM