Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Starter solenoid information, voltages with small wire
Tom
post Jan 27 2011, 05:09 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,626
Region Association: None

Been meaning to get this done. I have a spare starter solenoid and wanted to see what would happen if I introduced a voltage drop like one would see if there were bad/dirty/corroded connections in the start circuit. Using a voltmeter from the spade terminal of solenoid ( where the large yellow wire would hook up) to ground for voltage measurements. First used a large 12 ga ground wire to the negative side of the solenoid. Same point as where the starter motor wire would connect.
Then using a 12.2 volt car battery, hook up a small (22ga) wire to positive spade connector. Voltage = 7.0 and solenoid would not operate. Next used a 20 ga. wire , voltage = 8.4 and solenoid operated, but slowly. Next used 16 ga. wire, voltage = 9.6 and solenoid operated fast. Finally used an additional 16ga. wire to double current carrying capacity and voltage = 10.2 and solenoid operated very quick.
Trying to count all of the connections between the battery and solenoid spade, I have found that there are a lot, and all cars will not be the same. However, in order of the probability that they are bad, here they are.
1- the 4 lugs at the positive of the battery clamp. They are exposed and could be corroded inside the barrel of the connectors.
2 - Next bad place would be the spade connector at the starter solenoid with the yellow wire. Exposed to water/heat,etc.
3 - the relay board 14 and 12 pin connectors. Dirt, oil film, corrosion, and heat.
4 - the seat belt ( if your car has them) relay connectors or jumper wire.
5 - the key switch and/or connectors at the key switch.
Due to the possibility of corrosion inside the barrels of the crimp on connectors, I think it would be a good idea to lightly solder these connections also. Keeps dirt and corrosion out.
While I had this inside and testing, I hooked up a diode across the solenoid coil and it made a significant difference in the arc when I disconnected the battery during testing. There is still some, but much less. I will be soldering a diode across the solenoid coil of mine before I bring it out for spring. I think it can help and it certainly will not hurt.
Hope this will help some of you guys with this mean old starter circuit.
Tom
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 09:45 AM