Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> side-shift conversion question, bracket Q
tat2dphreak
post Apr 27 2004, 08:43 PM
Post #1

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

basically I want to know this:
can #13 be used in place of 2 #14s?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Apr 27 2004, 08:47 PM
Post #2

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Group: Members
Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Tat I have two of the #13's and I will look again for the #19's now that I have a better idea and pic of what you want.
CCLINCAMP914
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Apr 28 2004, 07:31 AM
Post #3

stoya, stoya, stoya

I have 2 #13s... I just wanted to make sure I could use that instead of #14s... which I don't have...

I have the 2 #19s coming...a friend is shipping them overnite... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) project still on schedule... my goal is to see it move 1" or more under it's own power by saturday!

wish me luck!
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 28 2004, 11:11 AM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I don't believe that you can use the early brackets on the late mount. I think they either don't fit correctly, or they put the motor in the wrong location or some such.

I have always recommended that people use all the mounting bracketry and hardware from the later car.

You are using the solid outboard mounts, right??

--DD
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Apr 28 2004, 08:06 PM
Post #5

stoya, stoya, stoya

yes, I have the solid mounts on their way (#19 in the diagram) they will be here tommorrow.

I put the early bracket on the bar and engine today, seems to work fine... they mount in the same place, I don't know why there would be a difference...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) but I'll keep a close watch when I put the engine into the car, make sure everything looks good...
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Apr 29 2004, 05:05 PM
Post #6

stoya, stoya, stoya

ok, I stand corrected... plus tax!

I had the bar on with the early bracket, but, what I didn't notice until first thing this morning, the rubber-butted bolts on the bar... were being swayed in a bit for that to work... the bracket could be used if you open up the holes a little bit, but I didn't want to do that...

Luckily, Wes had the RIGHT brackets... I used them, and actually got the 2056, side-shift tranny INTO the car today!!!

god I am so relieved right now to just get THAT far... tommorrow I will hear the engine RUN!!!

things done/hurdles jumped so far:
1) replaced the fuel lines (soft ones) and relocated the fuel pump to under the gas tank

2) had to replace an altenator... luckily a FLAPS had one less than 1 day away, so I only lost 1/2 of a day on that...

3) cleaned/ straightened the sheet metal and got it mounted on the new engine

4) mounted new (rebuilt) halfshafts and stub axles to the car... and today got those onto the tranny too...

5) pulled the POS (1.8 Bus ngine, that appears to have been spraying oil at an alarming rate...) out... the entire car at the back had a light coat of oil over the tailshifter tranny and rear trunk... and cleaned that up pretty well

6) got the late-style engine bar mounts into the car... (obviously,since I got the engine in)

still to do...
wire up the electrical stuff... to start the engine...
put the carbs on and get them synced up
time the engine
put the shift linkage in...
put oil in the engine/tranny

and a few other chores dealing with the interior and brakes

but for tonight: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 29 2004, 06:37 PM
Post #7

914 Idiot

Oh, I just remembered something!!! One reason you don't want to use the early bracket is because of the shape of the holes through the bracket. They're square. There's a square section on the top part of the rubber mount which keys to this square hole and keeps the mount from turning when you tighten down the retaining nut. The top nut of the mount is such a PITA to get to that you really don't want to make it any more work than it has to be...

--DD
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Apr 29 2004, 07:07 PM
Post #8

stoya, stoya, stoya

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 29 2004, 06:37 PM)
Oh, I just remembered something!!! One reason you don't want to use the early bracket is because of the shape of the holes through the bracket. They're square. There's a square section on the top part of the rubber mount which keys to this square hole and keeps the mount from turning when you tighten down the retaining nut. The top nut of the mount is such a PITA to get to that you really don't want to make it any more work than it has to be...

--DD

yea,
I noticed that too... it kinda pissed me off (at myself) that I didn't not pay attention to that yesterday and had to pull the front shroud off again today to undo that bracket and get the late brackets... it actually turned out to be a good thing that I ran into a road block needing an altenator yesterday... because it made me take a second look today and see what was going to be wrong... mysterious ways indeed...

thanks, as always, Dave!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 30 2004, 11:19 AM
Post #9

914 Idiot

I was yakkin with "Kap'n Krusty" from the 914 Rennlist and he had a few more things to say on the subject.

...  Different height
relative to the centerline, different size and spacing of the holes, and
nuts welded in (10mm)  for the crossmember bolts on the early one piece
bracket. You cannot use the early bracket for the late crossbar, at least
not w/o a LOT of modifications involving cutting and welding.

I figured this could add to the info pool for those doing the swap, and he gave me permission to post it up on the board.

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 02:52 AM