Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rennshift frustration
sleepdoc
post Apr 28 2004, 12:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 826

Hi All!

I installed my new Rennshift this weekend and cannot get it adjusted. I saw that the clutch cable tube interfered and convinced it to get down out of the way, thereby freeing the shifter to visit 4th. My problem is
1st, and 5th. With the stop backed all the way out of the shifter body and smacking the shift rod down towards the rear of the car I can just get into 3rd. However I just cannot get into 1st or 5th.

The car is a 74 with sidesift. It worked pretty well with the weltmeister short shift kit before. No real gnashing of teeth or difficulty getting into any gear. All of the bushings from the firewall back have been replaced, and the transmission and motor mounts are new.

The installation of the rennshift is straightforward. The shift lever clamp piece is fully ingaged onto the shift rod. It appears functionally that the the shift rod is too long to fully engage the 1,3,5 set of gears, or the shifter is mounted too far back. I realize the rennshift part is made correctly, and it fits the stock mounting holes, so what else can I do?

thanks Mark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 28 2004, 12:15 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

You need to over compensate the shift lever forward before tightening the clamp bolt. You are not getting enough throw for the *back* gears. Its sounds like your side to side setting is OK.

I slam them in pretty quick. I just make sure the tranny is in neutral.

With the back black cover off.. use one hand to hold the shift rod and the other hand to move the lever forward while you have the clamp bolt loose. Just make sure you are holding the shaft and it is NOT moving on you while you move the shift lever.

B
+Quote Post
sleepdoc
post Apr 28 2004, 12:27 AM
Post #3

Thanks Brad

I understand your suggestion perfectly. I agree with your assesment of the mechanical problem. Unfortunately the shift rod is as far forward onto the pinch clamp as it can go.

best Mark
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 28 2004, 12:36 AM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Then your main shift rod from the firewall to the tranny is bent. I had to replace one last week on a car that we installed a Rennshift into. I could not adjust the shifter properly. I quickly figured out the shift rod was bent.

B
+Quote Post
sleepdoc
post Apr 28 2004, 12:49 AM
Post #5

Thanks Brad
I will get under and check.

best Mark
+Quote Post
JWest
post Apr 28 2004, 06:23 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 97

Interesting. I have not heard of this problem, but Brad's suggestion seems the most likely. If someone got a jack onto the shift rod then it would straighten it out and lengthen it to cause your problem. Another potential cause would be if the spot welds in the shift rod ever broke and were rewelded in the wrong place.

I have not seen an installation near the end of it's travel on the clamp, there is usually a range of adjustment left to bias the pattern to the front or rear.

If all else fails (it's probably not so easy to get another shift rod in HI), how about trimming a little off the back of the clamp so it can slide further onto the rod?
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Apr 28 2004, 08:32 AM
Post #7

You bought another 914?

Member No.: 865

If it ends up being a bent shift rod I have an extra one. Send me a PM with your address and I will send it to you.

- Garold
+Quote Post
sleepdoc
post Apr 28 2004, 05:04 PM
Post #8

Great offer Garold.

I want to take a look underneath first. I am thinking if the rod is bent in a way that I cannot easily fix I might try shortening it at one of the ends. I suspect about one half inch would do it. Anyway before altering the piece I would like to be able to understand the problem. Between Brad's input and James' I have a clear idea what it should be like.

thanks Mark
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 05:25 AM