Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for a CA tour guide....
ottox914
post Feb 1 2011, 09:18 PM
Post #1

The glory that once was.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Looks like I'll be in CA from 2-12 thru 2-25, staying in Westlake Village for some training. My dad may be joining me for the weekend, as he has an old navy buddy in Lompoc he wants to visit, but Dad is 83 or so, and doesn't travel well, and would want me around.

On the off chance that he decides NOT to make the trip, anyone up to being my tour guide for some or all of saturday or sunday? If there is any autocross action, it'd be fun to see some 914's in the cones. If not, I'd be willing to provide lunch if we can find: 1) a running 914 to travel in, 2) a nice ride up along the coast or along some twisties, <hopefully both...> and 3) a place that sells a good burrito.

Any takers? Any suggestions for some car fun in this area for that weekend if I end up picking up a mental rental? Any good guitar shops in that area?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 1 2011, 09:25 PM
Post #2

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

You "need" to check in with Kundensport (Aaron is a 914 guy). They have two factory GT's in the shop right now. One is quite remarkable in history etc.

They are just up the road from Westlake in Camarillo.
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post Feb 1 2011, 09:29 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

Your just down the coast from Santa Barbara, and if you go any direction on the coast that is the way to go, if you make it to Lompoc, you wil pass Santa Barbara and Ventura both of which are worth doing.. You do not want to go South unless you have a specific destination just LA/OC and alot of freeway traffic.

Any burrito in Ca is better than the upper mid-west. I worked in Montana 6 months, nasty mexican food reditions, awesome flavorfull beef though, I lived on Steaks and Buffalo!
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Feb 1 2011, 11:21 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 1 2011, 07:25 PM) *

You "need" to check in with Kundensport (Aaron is a 914 guy). They have two factory GT's in the shop right now. One is quite remarkable in history etc.

They are just up the road from Westlake in Camarillo.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) that is what I was just thinking Eric...very cool people and nice shop.
+Quote Post
markb
post Feb 1 2011, 11:25 PM
Post #5

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

If you come up a bit farther, to Santa Maria, you can stop by & see Jonathan at GPR, and Cap'n Crusty at West Coast Garage. Lightning Joe's Guitar Heaven is in Arroyo Grande, and if you're a true guitar fan, you can't not go by & drool.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 2 2011, 12:15 AM
Post #6

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Dave,
Me and the family will be down that direction after the 20th... Doing family stuff mostly... Got a housesitter to handle my elderly dog... She is pretty arthritic these days.
+Quote Post
sww914
post Feb 2 2011, 03:40 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

Obviously it's 1/2 way up the state but Yosemite is unlike anywhere else.
+Quote Post
socalstuttgart
post Feb 2 2011, 10:19 AM
Post #8

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 8,067

I am willing to meet with you if you want to go for a road trip in my 914-6 on a Saturday or Sunday. I'm currently doing the tour guide thing in a 914 LE for someone from Kansas. We're having a blast. Feel free to email me: clarkd22@hotmail.com

I often go to cars and coffee which is a great Porsche and other awesome car experience.

+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 2 2011, 10:47 AM
Post #9

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246

I'm usually available for guests. However, I go to LA every other weekend and may not be around on one of the 2 you're here. I'm in Santa Maria, where we have our own particular BBQ style, and we're right in the middle of the Santa Barbara County wine country. There are 4 or 5 local craft breweries, too. PCA CCCR is having an event on the 13th, a brisk drive followed by a brunch. My Porsche is inop, but I may go anyway, if I'm in town.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 2 2011, 11:05 AM
Post #10

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Just got back from California. I'm ready to return now. It's colder than a brass nut cup here and I have the first cold I've had in years! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Dave, Do not sit in the hotel. Enjoy every minute of the warm sun. Get a rental car and battle the traffic and see some stuff.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 2 2011, 11:51 AM
Post #11

Cap'n Krusty

Thinking about stuff to do near where you're gonna be. Car stuff!: The Mullin Museum, Oxnard, and the Murphy Museum right across the street. Go online and check it out. The Petersen Museum in LA. The Nethercutt Museum in Sylmar (warning: dress code, no jeans!). The NHRA Museum in Pomona. The Saturday AM gathering at Autobooks/Aerobooks in Burbank. February 19th (9 to noon) is Alfa Romeo crazies day. Jay Leno is often present at these morning get togethers, and the cars are sure to be interesting.

The Cap'n

Edit! There's also the Justice Brothers Museum in Duarte, just off the 210 where it meets the 605. On your way to Pomona, site of the Wally Parks NHRA museum. Google it!
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Feb 2 2011, 07:28 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 2 2011, 09:51 AM) *

Thinking about stuff to do near where you're gonna be. Car stuff!: The Mullin Museum, Oxnard, and the Murphy Museum right across the street. Go online and check it out. The Petersen Museum in LA. The Nethercutt Museum in Sylmar (warning: dress code, no jeans!). The NHRA Museum in Pomona. The Saturday AM gathering at Autobooks/Aerobooks in Burbank. February 19th (9 to noon) is Alfa Romeo crazies day. Jay Leno is often present at these morning get togethers, and the cars are sure to be interesting.

The Cap'n

Edit! There's also the Justice Brothers Museum in Duarte, just off the 210 where it meets the 605. On your way to Pomona, site of the Wally Parks NHRA museum. Google it!

Cap'n I think I saw that book store close (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 2 2011, 08:08 PM
Post #13

Cap'n Krusty

Their website has scheduled events, and I've not read or heard about it closing.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Feb 2 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 11,663
Region Association: None

My buddy told me the store moved two blocks away...
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Feb 2 2011, 11:09 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(moparrob @ Feb 2 2011, 08:31 PM) *

could be....what's the web link?
+Quote Post
Bee Jay
post Feb 2 2011, 11:18 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 3,964

QUOTE(oldschool @ Feb 2 2011, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(moparrob @ Feb 2 2011, 08:31 PM) *

could be....what's the web link?

The Santa Barbara PCA is cruising down to the Peterson Museum on the 26th, a day too late. I'm in Lompoc. Come help me finish this 914-6 conversion.
Bee Jay
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Feb 4 2011, 09:28 PM
Post #17

The glory that once was.

Talked to dad and he's thinking this trip is a bad idea right now for him, so.....

ITS ON!!!!!!

I'll have a look at locations over the weekend and get back to a few of you about connecting for some 914 fun.

Any new ideas of things to do, or offers, keep'em coming!
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Feb 9 2011, 05:25 PM
Post #18

The glory that once was.

Sent a note to socalstuttgart about transportation for saturday. we'll have to see how much time he has, and how much fun can be smashed into one day. That guitar shop looked goooooooood. BeeJay- whatcha got going sunday, and can you provide transportation from westlake to your place and back? I could bring some garage cloths...
+Quote Post
socalstuttgart
post Feb 10 2011, 12:44 PM
Post #19

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 8,067

QUOTE(ottox914 @ Feb 9 2011, 03:25 PM) *

Sent a note to socalstuttgart about transportation for saturday. we'll have to see how much time he has, and how much fun can be smashed into one day. That guitar shop looked goooooooood. BeeJay- whatcha got going sunday, and can you provide transportation from westlake to your place and back? I could bring some garage cloths...

I just got you message. Shoot! I'm booked up on Saturday. Sunday is an autocross at El Toro airfield I've never been there but I'm going to use my GPS from irvine, CA

I'll be available as a tour guide Monday if you'll still be around. I would love to do it. The LE is gone but I still have my 914-6 and my 930!!
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Feb 10 2011, 09:47 PM
Post #20

The glory that once was.

So the 19th and 20th are my days in town with some time on my hands. SocalStuttgart has offered up some time in his 914/930 (weather dependent) for saturday the 19th. Any autocross action in the area for the 20th? I'd love to bum a ride if I could, but would be willing to just hang out and help out with cars/car guys for the day if thats another option for the 20th.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 06:56 AM