Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for a CA tour guide....
ottox914
post Feb 19 2011, 05:58 PM
Post #21

The glory that once was.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 1 2011, 09:25 PM) *

You "need" to check in with Kundensport (Aaron is a 914 guy). They have two factory GT's in the shop right now. One is quite remarkable in history etc.

They are just up the road from Westlake in Camarillo.

OK, so sunny CA has not been so sunny for me. Its been overcast and raining since I've been here, today included. But there were a couple bright spots.

Dean (socalstuttgart) came by with his -6 conversion. Its a beast, but in a very good way. Still needs a little finishing, but its around 85% amazing, and when its done. it should be a serious contender for COM. We had to cut the day short from our planned route, but may try to connect again next wk one or 2 evenings.

KUNDENSPORT

OH MY GOD. This is why we had to cut our drive short, we spent way, WAY to much time hanging out with Aaron and Hans. Amazingly cool guys, and what a shop and stories to tell. I could hang out with Hans for days and just shoot the breeze. Some of the engine and machine work Aaron does will make you cry. In a good, uber-cool way. We had a great discussion on T-IV and turbos, and general engine theory.

I emailed ahead to be sure someone would be there, and it would be OK to stop by on a saturday. Hans sent me back a reply, asking that we confirm the trip. I called friday noon, leaving a msg that we would be there around 10am. Dean picked me up around 9:30, we got to the shop around 10. Aaron was there, and not aware of our visit, but gladly showed us the shop, what we could take photos of, and what not. There was some pretty cool stuff going on there. Hans showed up shortly, and the 4 of us, (interrupted now and then by real paying customers) shot the bull till 1:30. I kept trying to leave, explaining I didn't want to take up their whole morning, and each time they found another cool something or other in another corner of the shop or storage building to show us and talk about.

Call ahead. Visit these guys. Be respectful of their time. They need to earn a living too.

Bummer Dean and I only got as far as ventura, but I did get to see the pier, hwy 1, some ocean, and have a fish taco on the pier. Not the burrito I was looking for, but if we can get together, maybe for a mulholland run, perhaps we can find the elusive burrito.

Thanks Dean, Aaron, and Hans.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 19 2011, 06:32 PM
Post #22

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 20 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #23

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

It's sunny today! Just got off the phone with Dave and I will pick him up in a couple hours...
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Feb 20 2011, 01:17 PM
Post #24

The glory that once was.

No idea what we might be up to, but its gotta be better than studying, laundry, or looking out the window when you should be studying or doing laundry, seeing the sun (finally) and knowing you don't have a car.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 20 2011, 06:25 PM
Post #25

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I will pick him up in a couple hours...

Oh dear lord... poor Dave. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 20 2011, 11:27 PM
Post #26

Apex killer!

Shut up Eric!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

We had a nice chat in the lobby of his hotel... Yopu's appointment took too long for us to do any real damage. Too bad Dave didn't get to see the autocross at El Toro... That would have been FUN!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 20 2011, 11:40 PM
Post #27

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Dave, you should rent a car. Their pretty cheap for a day and some of the places will deliver and pickup.

Good thing you didn't have a whole day with Rob. He's a bad influance. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 21 2011, 10:23 AM
Post #28

Apex killer!

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 20 2011, 09:40 PM) *

Dave, you should rent a car. Their pretty cheap for a day and some of the places will deliver and pickup.

Good thing you didn't have a whole day with Rob. He's a bad influance. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

He's right Dave... Sandy spent the evening with Eric and me at RRC last year and in the morning she was awarded the 'That Guy' Award. Legendary behavior caught on film that will be used for bribe money should she ever run for office or win the lottery. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 21 2011, 10:41 AM
Post #29

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 21 2011, 10:23 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 20 2011, 09:40 PM) *

He's right Dave... Sandy spent the evening with Eric and me at RRC last year and in the morning she was awarded the 'That Guy' Award. Legendary behavior caught on film that will be used for bribe money should she ever run for office or win the lottery. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 21 2011, 11:02 AM
Post #30

Apex killer!

I got her mind off of school with Oly and Lena jokes then we added a little ETOH and the rest is the stuff of legends (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Poor Sandy... We probably killed enough brain cells that she should consider dropping her Masters program and go to secretarial school (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 21 2011, 11:06 AM
Post #31

Apex killer!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Sorry Sandy...
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 21 2011, 11:32 AM
Post #32

Apex killer!

OttoX914, Conedodger, Yopu...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Feb 21 2011, 06:49 PM
Post #33

The glory that once was.

Yea, the evening didn't shake out as I might have liked, but hey, bidness is bidness, and I was not going to trump the mighty yopu for who is most important that day... It was still fun to spend some time with Rob and catch up on a little club gossip, both 914world and MAC club from back home. Rob was a vital member of that club in MN before I discovered it, and apparently moved into a position similar to the one he held with the club before he abandoned ship for warmer climes.

With last weekend being the NBA all star game, ANY rental car was hard to get anywhere near LA. I made a few calls but didn't want to pay the prices they were asking. There is still hope, socalstuttgart (Dean) and I were going to try to connect for another ride in either his -6 or the 930. Hopefully tue or wed pm will work out, as I'll need to hold thru open to pack and study for my "final" on friday.

Odd thing about cars around here. Nancy has a Pacifica and a TT. I've seen one Pac, and no TT's at all. Dad drives a LeSabre, I've seen only one of those. Only 914's seen were Deans and those found at Kundensport. But more Mercedes, BMW, and Audi coupes and sedans than you can shake a torque wrench at. Not much for old American Muscle either. A few 911-ish Porsches, Lambos, Ferraris, and toss in a Bently here and there.

Still, better car watching than back home, where seeing anything with out rust or a plow on it this time of year is enough to get you excited.

That pic makes me cringe- I had a loose fitting short sleeve shirt on and put a tighter pullover on when the sun went down- makes me look like I'll never fit into a 914 again.
+Quote Post
socalstuttgart
post Feb 25 2011, 06:25 PM
Post #34

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 8,067
Region Association: Southern California

I want to thank Dave and Eric for introducing me to Hans and Aaron! I can learn so much from those guys! Plus thank you Dave for plotting out the best, most scenic, twisty drive I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy! Plus the company wasn't bad either! Dave and I had a great visit if not too brief. I wish I had a 914 buddy out here like him! Here are some photos and a video from our excursions:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i243.photobucket.com-8067-1298679926.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i243.photobucket.com-8067-1298679927.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i243.photobucket.com-8067-1298679927.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i243.photobucket.com-8067-1298679928.4.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i243.photobucket.com-8067-1298679928.5.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i243.photobucket.com-8067-1298679929.6.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i243.photobucket.com-8067-1298679929.7.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i243.photobucket.com-8067-1298679929.8.jpg)(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i243.photobucket.com-8067-1298679930.9.jpg)(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i243.photobucket.com-8067-1298679930.10.jpg)(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i243.photobucket.com-8067-1298679930.11.jpg)

Video
Thanks again Dave, it was fun!

+Quote Post
ottox914
post Feb 27 2011, 06:21 PM
Post #35

The glory that once was.

Dean and Rob- thanks for the visits while I was there. To bad time and weather worked against us at every turn. And speaking of turns, thanks Dean for a turn at the wheel of the 930 and the Zombie. That 3.6 and the fresh trans are an amazing combo. 2nd best shifting 914 I've ever had the pleasure to drive. I got home to -6 degrees. And I thought CA was a little cold...

The Zombie and a couple other mid engined cars from Kundensport.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Feb 27 2011, 06:23 PM
Post #36

The glory that once was.

...the 930. Grocery getter below 3k rpm, HOLD ON from 3500 till you lift or shift.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Feb 27 2011, 06:27 PM
Post #37

The glory that once was.

What I came home to...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 27 2011, 07:10 PM
Post #38

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Happy and sad at the same time.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 11:23 PM