Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A few more update pix, indulge me, I need all the encouragement I can get
phillstek
post Feb 10 2011, 03:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,741
Region Association: None

Progress is slow and the task is huge and I admit to feeling overwhelmed by it all. I hope I can see this through to completion.

You guys that live in the U.S. don't realize how good you have it when to comes owning these cars. Talk about the tyranny of distance. Waiting for parts, having no-one around to help out or go visit with, swap meets, early morning runs with friends etc etc. I just want go for a drive in it.

I've got most of the panels back on without any real drama. Doors need further alignment, hoods are good to go, got the dash back in but glass isn't.

Still so much more to do though...electrical, sideshift conversion, new exhuast, fuel system overhaul, pull the fan housing and check for dead rodents, get engine going after not having run for 11 years etc etc.

I'm going to be asking lots of questions here in the next few months, some of them dumb/obvious but keep in mind my situation.

So thanks to those that have helped me with parts and advise so far.

Some more pix attached of the work to date.

Phil

phil

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
raw1298
post Feb 10 2011, 06:35 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,148
Region Association: Northern California

looks great! I know what you mean, I am anxious to drive mine too.
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Feb 10 2011, 06:36 AM
Post #3

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

Looks beautiful!

Now you are over the hard part and the fun can start.

Putting pieces back onto a painted car is really satisfying.

John
+Quote Post
mrdkrantz
post Feb 10 2011, 06:46 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,532
Region Association: North East States

Looks awesome. keep your head up... Your almost there

+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Feb 10 2011, 07:17 AM
Post #5

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84

Looking great and you should have great pride in the project when completed. It shows what can be done with patience, gathering information, and thinking through various aspects of the project.

A job well done!!! You are to be congratulated!!!

One thing: "you have the steering column on the wrong side!!!!! lol, lol
+Quote Post
Rod
post Feb 10 2011, 07:24 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,526
Region Association: England

Looks fabulous!

Keep going, I'm emigrating to Aus in 3 years and I'll bring my 914 with me, but finish yours in the meantime and I'll meet up and we'll go for a blast.

So how many 914's in Australia then?? - Do I need to find another and import it when I move over for my 916 Project or are they plentiful!! (I doubt it!!)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 10 2011, 07:26 AM
Post #7

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

That right hand drive is cool!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 10 2011, 07:57 AM
Post #8

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

It may be taking some time but it looks like you are doing a terrific job. The car looks very nice. Keep up the good work.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 10 2011, 08:09 AM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

You installed the steering wheel on the wrong side. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pinch.gif)

But seriously, it's looking great! I love watching a 914 come together. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. MORE PICS! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Feb 10 2011, 08:26 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I think you need to ship the car up to me and let me assemble it for you. I mostly guarantee that you would be able to drive it almost every time you visited the US! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

That is going to be one beautiful 914! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
veltror
post Feb 10 2011, 08:31 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,978

Fantastic work, finally a car with the steering wheel on the correct side, and yes the rest of the world does drive on the wrong side.

What is really spooky is that my car, if it ever gets finished, is going to be yellow with flares and black bumpers basically like yours but I did not bother changing the steering over as I am going to be doing lots of euro travel like I did before it came off the road.

Is it l13K yellow or is it a custom colour, if you have any pictures of it outside then I would love to see one.

Whereabouts in Aus are you...

Roman
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 10 2011, 08:50 AM
Post #12

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

This car looks great!

Do you have an overall build thread? I'd love to see the work then went into conversion to wrong side drive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Zach
+Quote Post
flipb
post Feb 10 2011, 09:05 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 10,752
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Wait, something's not right...

Attached Image

There, that's better.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
veltror
post Feb 10 2011, 09:45 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 8,978

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 10 2011, 02:50 PM) *

This car looks great!

Do you have an overall build thread? I'd love to see the work then went into conversion to wrong side drive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Zach

Right side drive...
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Feb 10 2011, 03:06 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 11,663

It doesn't look right because it is not on jackstands. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
phillstek
post Feb 10 2011, 08:51 PM
Post #16

You guys are too kind and too funny.

I know of two 914's here in Sydney, Downundermans beautiful original -6 and mine. Over the 20+years of owning mine I've seen maybe 10 in total, some of them goers and some not.

We did the rhd conversion in 1988 (pre digital cameras) and didn't do any pictures. The beauty of the 914/early 911's is the central steering pinion which makes the conversion a cinch. Here's how we did it.

1. Pull the dash out.
2. Cut the bracket that holds the steering hub and lift it over to the right and weld it back up again.
3. Move the pedal assembly and brake master cylinder over after modifiying the right side of the firewall to accomadate them.
4. Cut a section from the fuel tank to allow it to drop into the smaller space for it because of the firewall changes (You lose about a gallon of tank capacity as a result).
5. Disassemble the dash, cut the dash up carefully into six sections, align the instrument binnacle and switch panels correctly in relation to the steering hub, weld it back up and have it recovered.
6. Re-fit the dash and you're now driving on the correct side of the road. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I would love to see more Aussie 914's so ship as many as you like when you come over, Rod.

Colour is one I matched as close as I could to what was in the hell hole, it's not a custom colour but I don't know the name of it. I suppose I should find out.

Thanks again to all for the positive comments, they're very helpful and keep me inspired to move forward with the project.

Phil
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 10 2011, 10:29 PM
Post #17

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

There, that's better.

No... now his ignition switch is in the wrong place! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Fear not, we're going to put a work party together and fly out there. It's the middle of summer there now isn't it? I can get a whole group of guys from Minnesota to Maine to fly out there and help you put that puppy together.

Alright... who's in?

(that yellow appears to be Canary if you matched what you had)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 10 2011, 10:49 PM
Post #18

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 10 2011, 10:29 PM) *

There, that's better.

No... now his ignition switch is in the wrong place! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Fear not, we're going to put a work party together and fly out there. It's the middle of summer there now isn't it? I can get a whole group of guys from Minnesota to Maine to fly out there and help you put that puppy together.

Alright... who's in?

(that yellow appears to be Canary if you matched what you had)

MN checkin in! Now there's a road trip! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Feb 10 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #19

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(phillstek @ Feb 10 2011, 06:51 PM) *

You guys are too kind and too funny.

I know of two 914's here in Sydney, Downundermans beautiful original -6 and mine. Over the 20+years of owning mine I've seen maybe 10 in total, some of them goers and some not.

We did the rhd conversion in 1988 (pre digital cameras) and didn't do any pictures. The beauty of the 914/early 911's is the central steering pinion which makes the conversion a cinch. Here's how we did it.

1. Pull the dash out.
2. Cut the bracket that holds the steering hub and lift it over to the right and weld it back up again.
3. Move the pedal assembly and brake master cylinder over after modifiying the right side of the firewall to accomadate them.
4. Cut a section from the fuel tank to allow it to drop into the smaller space for it because of the firewall changes (You lose about a gallon of tank capacity as a result).
5. Disassemble the dash, cut the dash up carefully into six sections, align the instrument binnacle and switch panels correctly in relation to the steering hub, weld it back up and have it recovered.
6. Re-fit the dash and you're now driving on the correct side of the road. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I would love to see more Aussie 914's so ship as many as you like when you come over, Rod.

Colour is one I matched as close as I could to what was in the hell hole, it's not a custom colour but I don't know the name of it. I suppose I should find out.

Thanks again to all for the positive comments, they're very helpful and keep me inspired to move forward with the project.

Phil

Do you have your passenger engage the emergency brake, or do you get out of the car, walk around, open the door and do it yourself? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
phillstek
post Feb 10 2011, 11:16 PM
Post #20

It certainly is summer here, last week we had a couple of +40 Celsius days so not much work was happening then.

If any of you want to come over and help you're more than welcome. I ain't joking.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the handbrake...Notched the rightside inner long and mirrrored it.

Phil
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 07:35 PM