Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A few more update pix, indulge me, I need all the encouragement I can get
Valy
post Feb 11 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(phillstek @ Feb 10 2011, 06:51 PM) *

You guys are too kind and too funny.

I know of two 914's here in Sydney, Downundermans beautiful original -6 and mine. Over the 20+years of owning mine I've seen maybe 10 in total, some of them goers and some not.

We did the rhd conversion in 1988 (pre digital cameras) and didn't do any pictures. The beauty of the 914/early 911's is the central steering pinion which makes the conversion a cinch. Here's how we did it.

1. Pull the dash out.
2. Cut the bracket that holds the steering hub and lift it over to the right and weld it back up again.
3. Move the pedal assembly and brake master cylinder over after modifiying the right side of the firewall to accomadate them.
4. Cut a section from the fuel tank to allow it to drop into the smaller space for it because of the firewall changes (You lose about a gallon of tank capacity as a result).
5. Disassemble the dash, cut the dash up carefully into six sections, align the instrument binnacle and switch panels correctly in relation to the steering hub, weld it back up and have it recovered.
6. Re-fit the dash and you're now driving on the correct side of the road. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I would love to see more Aussie 914's so ship as many as you like when you come over, Rod.

Colour is one I matched as close as I could to what was in the hell hole, it's not a custom colour but I don't know the name of it. I suppose I should find out.

Thanks again to all for the positive comments, they're very helpful and keep me inspired to move forward with the project.

Phil

Did you relocate the hell hole to the left side as well? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 11 2011, 10:00 AM
Post #22

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Is RSD a requirement to get the car titled in Aussieland? Or just something that you wanted to do to get the car you wanted?

Here stateside you almost never see right hand driver cars. The first time I drove the old CMP C15 I helped restore on the road here, it was intimidating as hell to be driving on the wrong side of the truck.

Zach
+Quote Post
phillstek
post Feb 11 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 11,741
Region Association: None

Back in the '80's if you wanted to register the car it had to be rhd, The law is different now however, you can get "club/historic " rego on pre '75 lhd cars. Club or historic rego is meant to limit vehicle use to club runs, test drives and trips for maintainence and not as a DD.

Phil

p.s. Hellhole was not converted (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Feb 11 2011, 12:55 PM
Post #24

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(phillstek @ Feb 11 2011, 01:49 PM) *

Back in the '80's if you wanted to register the car it had to be rhd, The law is different now however, you can get "club/historic " rego on pre '75 lhd cars. Club or historic rego is meant to limit vehicle use to club runs, test drives and trips for maintainence and not as a DD.

Phil

It should be converted...move the battery to the passenger side to distribute the weight better....just saying.

Rich
+Quote Post
phillstek
post Feb 11 2011, 02:58 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 12 2011, 05:55 AM) *

Phil

It should be converted...move the battery to the passenger side to distribute the weight better....just saying.

Rich

No worries Rich, I didn't move it over because of all the relays and the harness on the left side of the hellhole. I am going to install the battery in the rear trunk as part of the electrical upgrades (the next stage of the rebuild).

Phil
+Quote Post
sclarke7171
post Apr 11 2011, 05:07 AM
Post #26

Owning a Porsche is a Sickness, So is a Volvo

Member No.: 12,908
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

QUOTE(phillstek @ Feb 12 2011, 06:58 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 12 2011, 05:55 AM) *

Phil

Rich

No worries Rich, I didn't move it over because of all the relays and the harness on the left side of the hellhole. I am going to install the battery in the rear trunk as part of the electrical upgrades (the next stage of the rebuild).

Phil

Nice work, makes my yellow, Grey, Gold 75 look like a junker..lol

+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Apr 11 2011, 05:23 AM
Post #27

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

Keep it up, looking good. Are you still going to try and make the Hershey swap meet in 2 weeks? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
dflesburg
post Apr 11 2011, 09:46 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 1,896

I thought everyone down under drove a blown AMX...
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Apr 11 2011, 01:59 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 6,794
Region Association: Southern California

Car looks great. keep sending updates.
+Quote Post
phillstek
post Apr 11 2011, 03:02 PM
Post #30

Progress has slowed considerably over the last six weeks or so as I've been very busy with work, which is irking me. Finally got the doors hung and aligned properly and installed the new wind shield. Picking up a whole bunch of parts when I'm in the U.S. next week and when I get back, it'll be on for young and old to finish it.

Keep it up, looking good. Are you still going to try and make the Hershey swap meet in 2 weeks?

Thanks shoe, no I won't be there this year, I enquired about the flights from LA to Hershey and they want over $1000 return which is crazy money. I'm coming from Australia to LA and return for not much more than that. Originally it was my intention to go as I was also negotiating to buy Van914's black 3.0, but I got gazumped on that when someone else bought it. Besides, I don't think I could handle another 5 hours each way for a one day event. I'll leave it till next time I'm there and incorporate Hershey into an east coast road trip. I am going to the Slits event in Riverside though.

Thanks for the words of encouragement to everyone and more pictures will be posted soon.

Phil
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 11 2011, 03:26 PM
Post #31

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Coming to Hershey?
+Quote Post
phillstek
post Apr 11 2011, 05:46 PM
Post #32

I enquired about the flights from LA to Hershey and they want over $1000 return which is crazy money. I'm coming from Australia to LA and return for not much more than that. Originally it was my intention to go as I was also negotiating to buy Van914's black 3.0, but I got gazumped on that when someone else bought it. Besides, I don't think I could handle another 5 hours each way for a one day event. I'll leave it till next time I'm there and incorporate Hershey into an east coast road trip. I am going to the Slits event in Riverside though.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to make it to Hershey this year.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 05:21 PM