Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Difference between a 2.0L out of a bus or 914
Dr Evil
post Feb 11 2011, 10:27 AM
Post #21

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

"Do you guys just sit around making this shit up?"

No.

The 914 2.0 is made of a hypereutectic, higher midi-chlorian alloy which gives it better stability, lightness, and strength (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Feb 11 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 11 2011, 08:27 AM) *

"Do you guys just sit around making this shit up?"

No.

The 914 2.0 is made of a hypereutectic, higher midi-chlorian alloy which gives it better stability, lightness, and strength (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Huh? You mean rust? Naw, they both rust equally. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Feb 11 2011, 12:37 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Feb 11 2011, 05:53 AM) *

Another difference, the bus cases for the carb'd engines have a bronze sleeve that goes 'through' one of the oil galley holes by the flywheel end, for the mechanical fuel pump pushrod. When you plug those holes in the case, you have to leave that one alone as going through it will screw up your oil pressure.

Besides blocking up the pulley end flange for the oil fill, you have to block the flange for the fuel pump also.

The finish on a bus case isn't as nice, also, like more casting marks, burrs, not as shiny.

Some bus cases don't have the slots to put in a windage tray, even, but some do.

The hardest part I would think would be making the hole for the tube to check the oil level, as bus cases don't have that steel tube coming out the top.

All the 2.0 bus engines I've seen were injected, mine didn't have the fp mount. Capn would know for sure.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 11 2011, 12:39 PM
Post #24

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I had one come loose and slide into the crank which didn't have the stop pressed in so the pilot shaft flopped around tossing tranny fluid out the seal.
Make it up? Why would I do that as enough weird shit has happened to me over the years....since 1969 on aircooleds.
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Feb 11 2011, 02:03 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 11,782
Region Association: None

QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 11 2011, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Feb 11 2011, 05:53 AM) *

Another difference, the bus cases for the carb'd engines have a bronze sleeve that goes 'through' one of the oil galley holes by the flywheel end, for the mechanical fuel pump pushrod. When you plug those holes in the case, you have to leave that one alone as going through it will screw up your oil pressure.

Besides blocking up the pulley end flange for the oil fill, you have to block the flange for the fuel pump also.

The finish on a bus case isn't as nice, also, like more casting marks, burrs, not as shiny.

Some bus cases don't have the slots to put in a windage tray, even, but some do.

The hardest part I would think would be making the hole for the tube to check the oil level, as bus cases don't have that steel tube coming out the top.

All the 2.0 bus engines I've seen were injected, mine didn't have the fp mount. Capn would know for sure.

Ah yeah, I was explaining the difference between ALL bus engines. The 2.0 busses were all fuel injected so they would have had electric fuel pumps and that flange not broached.

Something else not mentioned previous, but bus 2.0 cases lost the oil control valve (I think it's called that - the one below #1 cylinder) on account of the hydraulic lifters. I think 914 cases all had it as they all used mechanical lifters.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 11 2011, 05:32 PM
Post #26

Aircooled Baby!

GC cases don't have it.
+Quote Post
patssle
post Feb 11 2011, 06:04 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 10,741

I have a 2.0 bus in my 914. Engine code says it produces a whoppin' 67 horsepower. Supposedly it has Porsche heads on it - says the PO. Also has carbs. Has nice torque in 1st/2nd, but beyond that - it's a wheezer.

That's why I'm putting in a /6 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Feb 11 2011, 08:55 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 11,782

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 11 2011, 03:32 PM) *

GC cases don't have it.
I never knew that. I wonder why?

Something else, I have never seen discussed in any forum, the differences in specifications listed in the 914 Technical Specifications book and the ones in the Bentley Transporter Manual. If they're right and we're putting the same main seals in, it's no wonder I can't keep my flywheel and clutch from getting oil on it in the 914 case. (my bus case leaks there, too actually). And then main bearings...5mm is a big difference....it seems like one of the books is wrong? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 12 2011, 02:47 AM
Post #29

Aircooled Baby!

QUOTE(patssle @ Feb 11 2011, 09:04 PM) *

I have a 2.0 bus in my 914. Engine code says it produces a whoppin' 67 horsepower. Supposedly it has Porsche heads on it - says the PO. Also has carbs. Has nice torque in 1st/2nd, but beyond that - it's a wheezer.

That's why I'm putting in a /6 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

look to see if the heads have 3 intake studs then you'll know if it has Porsche heads (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I think the red colored rear main seal is better than the black seal which leaks...Also check to see if your flywheels have a groove in em where the oil seals rubs which yes, causes leaks.
+Quote Post
914Mike
post Mar 29 2011, 04:55 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 198

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 11 2011, 08:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Feb 10 2011, 05:47 PM) *

In addition to the big dish in the piston ( lower compression) the connecting rods are more robust at the large end and weigh much more than a 914.

That's just not true. They're EXACTLY THE SAME.

The Cap'n

My Triple Beam disagrees. I _had_ a set of 914 2.0 rods that weighed about 770-780 grams, very thin on the small end. The ones I got back from the shop weighed about 810 grams, much thicker at the small end. (Not going to take any re-work back there! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)) Later production perhaps? If you have the good ones, make sure to get the same ones back, is all I'm saying.

Anyways, the top end just seemed diminished, compared to what I remember of the tired 2.0...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 02:23 PM