Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine Installation, Question
Randal
post Feb 26 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 750

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 26 2011, 07:18 AM) *

My outside thermometer says 16F this morning........

Richard came over this morning and we went outside, it was about 38 degrees, and worked on the car. With the breeze it was cold for us wimpy California boys.

We figured out the wiring and traced a few unknown wires back to the ECU, so will be able to tell what they're for shortly.

Also got the oil system completely hooked up, same with the throttle assembly and most of the clutch stuff.

We also bolted in the TWM throttle bodes along with all the brackets and special little bits that Paul built to hold the air meter, etc.

Got the hood hold downs all tidied up, but still need to buy another Morosa set as they shorted me a critical piece.

Now for a bunch of brackets to hold the tachometer and the three gauges in place that I'll be running.

Off to Bontempi's House on Monday morning for the remaining clutch stuff.

Progress is good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DrifterJay
post Feb 26 2011, 06:34 PM
Post #22

I break stuff...

Member No.: 737
Region Association: None

I always found it extremely easy to just remove the rear wheels and use a large jack on each side of the car to raise it up. I would then have my engine on a heavy duty and flat furniture dolly (rectangle with for casters). With carbs removed I would just lower the car over the drivetrain. No pain...super easy. Would bolt the engine bar to the chassis, then use a pump jack to get the transmission situated and bolted in. Pull out dolly and jack and I am done, 30 minutes top.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Feb 27 2011, 09:53 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE(DrifterJay @ Feb 26 2011, 04:34 PM) *

I always found it extremely easy to just remove the rear wheels and use a large jack on each side of the car to raise it up. I would then have my engine on a heavy duty and flat furniture dolly (rectangle with for casters). With carbs removed I would just lower the car over the drivetrain. No pain...super easy. Would bolt the engine bar to the chassis, then use a pump jack to get the transmission situated and bolted in. Pull out dolly and jack and I am done, 30 minutes top.

No question removing the TB's or carburetors make a big difference in the installation.

Taking the engine out of The Beast could be done easily in less than an hour. Same with reinstalling. Of course The Beast had no sheet metal!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 28 2011, 03:20 PM
Post #24

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

What linkage are you using with your TWMs?
+Quote Post
Randal
post Feb 28 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 28 2011, 01:20 PM) *

What linkage are you using with your TWMs?

I think it was CB performance, but will have to check my records and let you know.

+Quote Post
McMark
post Mar 1 2011, 01:00 AM
Post #26

914 Freak!

I only ask because I've had poor experiences with the cross-bar linkages and have started using the CSP bellcrank linkage and have liked it much better. Easier to sync and more precise.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-419-1293649853.jpg)
+Quote Post
orchid914
post Mar 1 2011, 01:35 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 4,974

Randal,

I put the front and back of the 914 on Jackstands with the nose of the car an inch from a wall. I then use a floor jack on each side of the rear with a block of wood to raise the car high enough to get the motor under the car. My 4 cyl. has a 911 cooling fan with FAT shroud so I have to raise it quite a lot. The best thing is that I use Chris Foley's jack lift plate that balances the engine and tranny so it is no problem to manuever it. If you need help let me know. (you should have put this thread on AXPADDOCK.COM)

John

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 2 2011, 11:05 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 28 2011, 11:00 PM) *

I only ask because I've had poor experiences with the cross-bar linkages and have started using the CSP bellcrank linkage and have liked it much better. Easier to sync and more precise.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-419-1293649853.jpg)

That looks like a nice setup Mark. What do they cost?
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 2 2011, 11:07 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE(orchid914 @ Mar 1 2011, 11:35 AM) *

Randal,

I put the front and back of the 914 on Jackstands with the nose of the car an inch from a wall. I then use a floor jack on each side of the rear with a block of wood to raise the car high enough to get the motor under the car. My 4 cyl. has a 911 cooling fan with FAT shroud so I have to raise it quite a lot. The best thing is that I use Chris Foley's jack lift plate that balances the engine and tranny so it is no problem to manuever it. If you need help let me know. (you should have put this thread on AXPADDOCK.COM)

John

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I am going to buy one of Chris's balance plates. It would make everything so much easier.

+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 2 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 26 2011, 03:08 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 26 2011, 07:18 AM) *

My outside thermometer says 16F this morning........

Richard came over this morning and we went outside, it was about 38 degrees, and worked on the car. With the breeze it was cold for us wimpy California boys.

We figured out the wiring and traced a few unknown wires back to the ECU, so will be able to tell what they're for shortly.

Also got the oil system completely hooked up, same with the throttle assembly and most of the clutch stuff.

We also bolted in the TWM throttle bodes along with all the brackets and special little bits that Paul built to hold the air meter, etc.

Got the hood hold downs all tidied up, but still need to buy another Morosa set as they shorted me a critical piece.

Now for a bunch of brackets to hold the tachometer and the three gauges in place that I'll be running.

Off to Bontempi's House on Monday morning for the remaining clutch stuff.

Progress is good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Update: Well thanks to Scott I now have all the (latest) electrical figured out and ready to install. It is really amazing how your forget what you did two years ago. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Found a nice way to mount my electronics box in the front off the roll bar and will be mounting my 3 gage cluster below (and attached) to that.

I don't think I'm going to show any pictures. The competition on this site, for clean work, has gotten pretty intense, especially for us hackers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 2 2011, 04:18 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

OK, I'll show one as the installation of the electronic box and the guage cluster came out OK. No holes were drilled in the bottom of the electronic box. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 20 2011, 11:03 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

I have a Tilton starter in "222" which is the high torque variety.

Learned an expensive lesson when, after checking all the wiring, I went to start the engine. Nothing. Finally figured out that the starter had gone bad.

I typically power wash my engine and transmission after every few events. If you don't cover the starter you can count on it getting water in it and it'll be a candidate for a rebuild.

Live and learn. I thought all starters were sealed given that they are exposed to water any time you drive in the rain. But guess the seals aren't designed for use with a pressure washer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I blame Mark as it was him that cut all the metal out of the trunk... Yea, that will be my story!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
McMark
post Mar 21 2011, 05:54 PM
Post #33

914 Freak!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Maybe we need to make you a fiberglass pan to put in there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Or your starter needs a shower cap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 23 2011, 12:17 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 21 2011, 04:54 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Maybe we need to make you a fiberglass pan to put in there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Yup all of the above.

Tig welding all the seams that attach the transmission bar to the car will be a good event.

+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 26 2011, 10:44 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 23 2011, 11:17 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 21 2011, 04:54 PM) *

Yup all of the above.

Tig welding all the seams that attach the transmission bar to the car will be a good event.

Actually today Mark we all need a shower cap.

The rain doesn't want to let up, but I'm out in the garage anyway getting all the recently acquired parts back on.

Cold and wet. Looking forward until tomorrow, supposed to be better or at least some breaks from constant rain. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 30 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

I'm ready to fire her up now.

Looking forward to hearing the engine running again.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Mar 30 2011, 10:43 PM
Post #37

914 Freak!

Video... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Apr 1 2011, 10:36 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

I'm going to borrow Bill's pre-oiler next week. After that is done it will be time to fire her up.

+Quote Post
Randal
post Apr 15 2011, 10:46 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 1 2011, 09:36 PM) *

I'm going to borrow Bill's pre-oiler next week. After that is done it will be time to fire her up.

I've had a bunch of issues getting the car to run properly. Mostly making sure all the electrical connections are seated (Link controller), injectors seated in the fuel rail and in the manifold, various wiring issues and just basic troubleshooting what might be wrong.

So I've cleaned out the fuel tank, fuel filters, taken the manifold off to be sure all the injectors are in correctly and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I think all of the issues come about because the car has been in various garages in the last two years and like it or not things get abused.

My fault, but I'll sort through it.

Oh, right now she is running great, but it still feels to me like it's loading up a bit.

(Note: This ended up being a balance issue between the throttle bodies. Just like carburetors, they need to be balanced so that the begin pulling at the same time. Very delicate throttle adjustment was needed).

Richard is coming down today and we are going to download the current fuel map into my spare Link controller so that we have a backup. We will also try the spare controller to see if that gets rid of the loading up.

I also think Link has some diagnostics that we might check.
+Quote Post
jjackson
post Apr 16 2011, 08:11 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 12,246

How is it going? Are you ready to run it?JJackson (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 10:29 AM