Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine Installation, Question
Randal
post Apr 16 2011, 10:35 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 750

QUOTE(jjackson @ Apr 16 2011, 07:11 PM) *

How is it going? Are you ready to run it?JJackson (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

It's running and running good now. The final issue was balance between the TB's which my engine builder fixed. Very suttle adjustment.

What happened was I took the TB's off to make the engine installation easier, but then lost the finite adjustment on the linkage. Hard to believe but just taking it apart and putting it back together was enough to change the balance.

Next week Paul is bringing down the syncro device so we can get it even closer.

Nice to hear it rev.

I couldn't believe how much fuel we used up (at $15.00 a gallon) just doing the tuning. She is a thirsty lady.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jjackson
post Apr 19 2011, 07:24 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 12,246
Region Association: None

Congrats on getting her up and running.Hp really likes fuel-We got a local dirt tracker that sells us 110 renegade for $6.25 a gallon this year.He went up from $6.00 last year and actually apologized for the increase when we went and picked up first batch this year-Great guy.
The faster the car has gotten-the more critical every little detail becomes.JJackson (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 16 2011, 11:35 PM) *

QUOTE(jjackson @ Apr 16 2011, 07:11 PM) *

How is it going? Are you ready to run it?JJackson (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

It's running and running good now. The final issue was balance between the TB's which my engine builder fixed. Very suttle adjustment.

What happened was I took the TB's off to make the engine installation easier, but then lost the finite adjustment on the linkage. Hard to believe but just taking it apart and putting it back together was enough to change the balance.

Next week Paul is bringing down the syncro device so we can get it even closer.

Nice to hear it rev.

I couldn't believe how much fuel we used up (at $15.00 a gallon) just doing the tuning. She is a thirsty lady.

+Quote Post
Randal
post Apr 20 2011, 08:55 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

$6.25 is a great deal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Out here in Greenie California VP Racing CT 12 is $15.00 a gallon and you have to sign a release form to get it. Might as well be buying gas in France.

It's pretty interesting how every detail of a car has to be right to go fast. You end up learning a bunch about things you never thought you'd have to understand, but that is the nature of doing it yourself.
+Quote Post
Randal
post May 11 2011, 09:37 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Taking the car to the dyno on Thursday to confirm the fuel map beyond 6100.

Don't have a clue where the motor will roll over, so just have to run it and see.

On pins and needles!
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post May 12 2011, 03:29 PM
Post #45

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(Randal @ May 11 2011, 08:37 AM) *

Taking the car to the dyno on Thursday to confirm the fuel map beyond 6100.

Don't have a clue where the motor will roll over, so just have to run it and see.

On pins and needles!

How did it go? Is it running better now? Dyno graphs? Thats my favorite running T4 motor.
+Quote Post
Randal
post May 12 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Ended up with 174 hp at the rear wheels and the same amount of torque at 6100.

Spent a bunch of time getting the A/R ratio closer to 12 everywhere.

The motor spins easily to 7K now. That will be nice in spots where you need a few more rpm to make it to the corner.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post May 12 2011, 10:26 PM
Post #47

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(Randal @ May 12 2011, 09:03 PM) *

Ended up with 174 hp at the rear wheels and the same amount of torque at 6100.

Spent a bunch of time getting the A/R ratio closer to 12 everywhere.

The motor spins easily to 7K now. That will be nice in spots where you need a few more rpm to make it to the corner.

Not bad for 40 year old engine technology! What dyno type and is that corrected number? Did you have much variation between runs? I haven't seen honest assessment on big bore type 4 ever. Would be cool to see the real scoop with dyno type and correction factor.

Makes you realize how far engine technology has come when street motors of similar displacement make 20 to 30 more WHP. But I think t4 still makes more torque from 2500 to 4500 than anything new.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post May 13 2011, 07:11 AM
Post #48

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 12 2011, 09:26 PM) *

[Not bad for 40 year old engine technology! What dyno type and is that corrected number? Did you have much variation between runs? I haven't seen honest assessment on big bore type 4 ever. Would be cool to see the real scoop with dyno type and correction factor.
from

I can agree with that. I've never seen an independently verified 200hp (at the crank) T-4 dyno chart. Pretty damn good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 13 2011, 09:37 AM
Post #49

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Can't wait to see this car run (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) This is the car you are bringing to the WCR right?
+Quote Post
Randal
post May 13 2011, 09:54 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ May 13 2011, 08:37 AM) *

Can't wait to see this car run (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) This is the car you are bringing to the WCR right?

Right, 222 is the car I am bringing to Medford.

Get ready for Britain to set the standard when he runs. When he ran the SB there last year it was a one of the nicest driven runs I've ever seen. And now he has 140 more RWHP than 222, but maybe he'll set up a tight course?

I am really looking forward to just learning the course and seeing if I can give JP, my co-driver a go. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
HAM Inc
post May 14 2011, 09:21 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 6,499

Randall I'm so glad to hear that it is performing well now. And 174 @ the wheels at 6100RPM's! WOW! Sounds like you guys did a great job of tuning that baby!

Making that kind of hp at that low a RPM means that thing is loaded with torque! That was the idea all along; gobs of mid-range torque.
Looking forward to hearing what it's like to drive! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
+Quote Post
jjackson
post May 14 2011, 12:35 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 12,246

QUOTE(HAM Inc @ May 14 2011, 10:21 AM) *

Randall I'm so glad to hear that it is performing well now. And 174 @ the wheels at 6100RPM's! WOW!

Making that kind of hp at that low a RPM means that thing is loaded with torque!

Congrats-those are fantastic #s out of type iv.Let us know how the next event goes-I know you'll get out shakin!Good luck! JJackson
+Quote Post
Randal
post May 14 2011, 10:21 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE(jjackson @ May 14 2011, 11:35 AM) *

QUOTE(HAM Inc @ May 14 2011, 10:21 AM) *

Randall I'm so glad to hear that it is performing well now. And 174 @ the wheels at 6100RPM's! WOW!

Making that kind of hp at that low a RPM means that thing is loaded with torque!

Congrats-those are fantastic #s out of type iv.Let us know how the next event goes-I know you'll get out shakin!Good luck! JJackson

Well we get a short (3 lap) trial tomorrow morning at "Duel at DeAnza.

Just looking forward to seeing how the car works with all the changes.

Next weekend is an American AutoX Series event at the Marina. They run wide open courses, for muscle cars, so will be a great practice session for the hill climb.

Got to make sure I know what this car does at higher speed, i.e., top of 3rd gear and maybe 4th.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 05:43 PM