Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Difficult Corners, At the track
Randal
post Feb 15 2011, 02:21 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 750

The most challenging corners I've experienced are turn 1 at Thunderhill (counterclockwise) and turn 10 at Sears. I'd also say turn 9 at Thunderhill when running clockwise.

By challenging I mean corners that are tough to get right and take at maximum speed.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DanT
post Feb 15 2011, 03:39 PM
Post #2

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

If we are talking about TT/DE lines here goes.

Turn one TH CCW.
after the pit wall get as far right as possible for set up for entry. stay right during braking (don't cheat left). Smooth turn in (fairly high speed turn entry) and very late apex at the end of the inside berm. Then exit all the way right using the entire exit berm.

Turn 9 at TH CW.
Going uphill can not see the apex. Either get off the gas as you get near the top of the hill or completely crest the hill and do some pretty aggressive braking (yes there is enough room to wait to brake here). Get the car all the way to the right at the apex(end of berm). Exit all the way to the left.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Feb 15 2011, 04:38 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(DanT @ Feb 15 2011, 01:39 PM) *

If we are talking about TT/DE lines here goes.

Turn one TH CCW.
after the pit wall get as far right as possible for set up for entry. stay right during braking (don't cheat left). Smooth turn in (fairly high speed turn entry) and very late apex at the end of the inside berm. Then exit all the way right using the entire exit berm.

Turn 9 at TH CW.
Going uphill can not see the apex. Either get off the gas as you get near the top of the hill or completely crest the hill and do some pretty aggressive braking (yes there is enough room to wait to brake here). Get the car all the way to the right at the apex(end of berm). Exit all the way to the left.

T1 TH CCW - Yup that is the line, still challenging to do and not have to stop to change your shorts, if on the limit.

T9 TH CW Again, that is the line, but difficult to not leave time there. Likewise for the other direction where I've always felt I had to drive to the corner after braking. That is the perfect corner to practice for hill climbs, as the uphill part (CCW) commands you brake much later than normal. Just have to find the spots without going off.

Speaking about braking T2 at Laguna is kind of like that, but I think with a little practice the braking points there can be found.
+Quote Post
neilca
post Feb 15 2011, 06:58 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,474

Turn 12, Road Atlanta
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 15 2011, 11:36 PM
Post #5

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Turn 9 at Willow Springs should be on the list. Very late entry decreasing radius, at the end of a top speed (in many cars) long sweeper, and often nasty rain run-off ditches on one or both sides where you might go off. If you get it wrong, you'll get smoked on the front straight, assuming you aren't off-roading in the desert.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 16 2011, 05:44 PM
Post #6

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Turn 9 at TH CW.
Going uphill can not see the apex.

Do you stay all the way left going over the top? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I've only run it that direction once and had nobody with me to show me the lines ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
bam914
post Feb 16 2011, 07:17 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,378

QUOTE(neilca @ Feb 15 2011, 04:58 PM) *

Turn 12, Road Atlanta

12 is easy. You just keep your foot to the floor and don't look at the wall, or any of the walls around there.
+Quote Post
d914
post Feb 16 2011, 08:33 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904
Region Association: South East States

turn 1 at roebling road....Ive seen it taken wide, short and everything in between..

agree on turn 12 Road atlanta ,, late apex, foot down, upshift to 5th at start finish!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
wobbletop
post Feb 16 2011, 09:26 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 7,335
Region Association: Canada

Turn 2 at Mosport.

Blind corner, double apex, over a crest into a downhill with off camber.

Edit: For example, at about the 2:10 mark in this video.

Mosport
+Quote Post
DanT
post Feb 16 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #10

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 16 2011, 04:44 PM) *

Turn 9 at TH CW.

Do you stay all the way left going over the top? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I've only run it that direction once and had nobody with me to show me the lines ...

to be honest Andy, it has been quite a while since I have run it that direction....but IIRC nip the left side going up the hill, straight over the crest, then nip the late apex on the right.
+Quote Post
sww914
post Feb 17 2011, 02:30 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

Turn 4 at Willow Springs kicked my ass until a friend pointed out that it wasn't a very important corner at all in a TT. In between 2 slowish corners. After I stopped worrying about it (that corner) I actually went a little slower there but gained speed coming into 3 and leaving 5 so I got 1/2 a second off of my lap times by throwing away turn 4.
It's still a good place to pass or get passed in a race, but for TT it's not a big deal.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Feb 17 2011, 09:33 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 16 2011, 03:44 PM) *

Turn 9 at TH CW.

That was my question as well after reading Dan's first tutorial. Thanks for the clarification Dan.

Actually there is a lot going on at that corner. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Feb 23 2011, 01:26 PM
Post #13

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

I dont think T10 at Sears is especially difficult its just scary if you screw up.

This post has been edited by grantsfo: Feb 23 2011, 01:26 PM
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 23 2011, 03:29 PM
Post #14

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(bam914 @ Feb 16 2011, 08:17 PM) *

QUOTE(neilca @ Feb 15 2011, 04:58 PM) *

Turn 12, Road Atlanta

12 is easy. You just keep your foot to the floor and don't look at the wall, or any of the walls around there.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 23 2011, 03:31 PM
Post #15

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

Going into the Boot (Laces) @ Watkins Glen - It's downhill and I've always felt I was going to go into the tire wall
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Feb 24 2011, 10:57 AM
Post #16

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

The problem with corners is the black stuff don't go straight no more.....not that you can't. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Feb 24 2011, 01:12 PM
Post #17

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

For me T3 at Laguna is always tricky to execute well. Go in to slow and it always seems to induce understeer, go in too fast and oversteer is possible result with not much run off room. Its easy turn to do at moderate speeds but at the limit it always freaks me out. My one off is at that turn. I just drove spec miata style and kept my foot in it and drove along in the dirt until I got back on the track. ITend to go with safe very late apex scrub off speed and do a little toss of the car to get rotation and full power if I get the rotation. If no rotation then its painful rolling onto throttle which never seems to get speed I want down that short straight. The rest of the turns are pretty darn easy there.

I find Infineon to be much more challenging. T2 to T4 is difficult combo to execute well all the time at high speeds. Lots of strange loading and unloading to contend with there. From Exit of T7 to T9 is challenging too. Again there is a difference between moderate speeds and "balls to the wall" in these sections. It takes cool head to hit those sections fast and to keep the car collected and stable so you dont slow down or spin or end up in area of the track where you wont be setup for next turn.
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Feb 24 2011, 02:20 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 391

Most all tracks have a corner or two that are hard, I.E, turn 9 at Willow Springs is hard because the outside edge of the exit is not in sight due to the crown in the pavement.

NASCAR turn 1 at the CA Speedway is where your brain says lift a little just as you have gotten to full speed of 140 or so but then you remember that the NASCAR guys are doing over 200 when they get there!

NASCAR turns 3 and 4 at PIR for the same reason as above and then the turn 1 - 2 - 3 complex because the pit out wall makes it blind and there are about 75% of the drivers who tap the brakes as they start to turn off the main track but a few who do not and brake after the first turn in....
+Quote Post
neilca
post Feb 27 2011, 09:59 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 4,474

My issue with turn 12 at Road Atlanta begins with the exit of 10B. I am in second gear on exit as I approach the bridge I grab third. If you have never driven Road Atlanta, the bridge is a blind. I line up with the middle marker on the bridge and hope I am in the right spot for entering 12. Now before I reach twelve I have to grab fourth gear or I run out of revs in the middle of the corner, things just get busy. Not a complaint, but I am shifting with my left hand. This takes getting used to. A little more track time and perhaps my toughest corner will change.
+Quote Post
andys
post Feb 27 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

QUOTE(john rogers @ Feb 24 2011, 12:20 PM) *

Most all tracks have a corner or two that are hard, I.E, turn 8 at Willow Springs is hard because the outside edge of the exit is not in sight due to the crown in the pavement.

NASCAR turn 1 at the CA Speedway is where your brain says lift a little just as you have gotten to full speed of 140 or so but then you remember that the NASCAR guys are doing over 200 when they get there!

NASCAR turns 3 and 4 at PIR for the same reason as above and then the turn 1 - 2 - 3 complex because the pit out wall makes it blind and there are about 75% of the drivers who tap the brakes as they start to turn off the main track but a few who do not and brake after the first turn in....

John,

PIR = Phoenix or Portland? If it's Phoenix you speak of, then I'm on board with that T1-2-3 complex. That decreasing radius always had me thinking I could have gone faster, and never felt I got the most out of that part of the track. I thought it was a very tricky complex, but not scary fast like say T8 or T9 @ WSIR.

Andys
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:56 AM