Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Floor Pans- Rust prevention and Tunnel treatement, advice needed
IronHillRestorations
post Mar 3 2011, 01:25 PM
Post #21

I. I. R. C.

Group: Members
Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

The water stops the acid. If you are going over it with another coating, you want to stop the acid, maaan.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post May 12 2011, 07:29 AM
Post #22

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

rust thread bump...

...and zinc rich weld thru primer on panels that overlap that get welded together

this thread should be flagged as teh rust treatment classic thread
+Quote Post
Gudhjem
post May 12 2011, 11:46 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 7,629
Region Association: Northern California

Great info in this thread. I am staring to close up my longs, firewall bulkhead and some other cavities, so was reviewing all this info.

The rinse-with-water-and-let-dry part of the process scares me. I wouldn't have considered it, except that at least three guys in this thread with 100x more experience than me are doing it. Running a water hose through my longs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif). Guess I'll be doing that as well.

For Scotty B., I thought I read that in your opinion rust encapsulators (not converters) are snakeoil, don't bother, but here you say that's how you finish off the process. Is that true just for cavities, where other options are limited? Or maybe what you are saying is that they are okay if you get rid off all the rust first, just don't use them to actually encapsulate rust?
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post May 12 2011, 01:21 PM
Post #24

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

I like to use a MAPP torch to carefully heat all the nooks, crannies, and especially seams after applying paint prep, metal ready, and water to dry these areas out. Leaving water sitting in your seams for a few days will ensure they will rust.

John
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post May 12 2011, 02:05 PM
Post #25

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(FourBlades @ May 12 2011, 12:21 PM) *

heat all the nooks, crannies, and especially seams after applying paint prep, metal ready, and water to dry these areas out.

YUP
I have used a paint stripping heat gun to dry out the acid rinse water, to soften and remove the tar on the floorboards, and to help remove gunk and seam sealer from all nooks and crannies. Focused heat is your friend when drying out the prep liquids!

I have been doing the interior rustoration piece-meal, but this Sunday I am planning a full-on attack with Wurth Metal Ready. It was not cheap, but has both the acid and zinc in it. Then, Wurth self-etch primer, then paint (then seam sealer?).
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post May 13 2011, 07:45 AM
Post #26

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

A little flash oxidation will help some of the coatings adhere. I use the wands to blow the cavities dry with compressed air.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 03:13 AM