Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> questions
pauldunn
post Feb 27 2011, 11:21 PM
Post #1

dudeface

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,687
Region Association: Southwest Region

As you can tell by my title "newbie", i and new to the world of 914s. I know this model was made from 70-76, and there are a few differant sized engine that were used. my car that i just aquired looks like it has been sitting for quite a while, and all the labels and stickers are long gone. There are quite a few problems to be worked out. Question 1, How do i know what size engine is in my car, assuming it is still stock which i think it is. Question 2 - with battery cables hooked to battery, the 2 red arched light in the fuel level guage blink just like the blinker would weather key is in on position or not. Brake reservoir is bone dry. would that cause the blinking? Ive read on here that there is a "reset" button on the master cylinder? is it an obvious button or will i have to look for it? THanks for the help.

Are these cars carburated or fuel injected? mine looks like it is carburated, but some listings i just found make me worried. If i read my schematic right the computer for the fuel injection plugs into the relay block in the engine compartment, am i correct? If they are fuel injected, and that is where the computer plugs into, i am screwed cause i cant find the computer and that plug is empty. where would the computer be?

- Paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 28 2011, 10:12 AM
Post #2

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The blinking red light is the brake failure warning light. Yes, its due to the res being dry. Fill it with Dot3 and start bleeding the brakes using either a pressure bleeder or the "long tubes" method. LOTS of threads about both here on the site. The reset button will only work once the brakes are full of fluid and the air is bled out.

Engine can be determined a few different ways. What year is your car? it should still have vin tags. Please consider entering your VIN info here:
http://www.914world.com/specs/chasnrs.php

Does the engine have carbs, or the fuel injection still on it? Posting a pic of the engine would lead many here to be able to tell what the engine is.

Zach
+Quote Post
luskesq
post Feb 28 2011, 02:09 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,303
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(pauldunn @ Feb 27 2011, 09:21 PM) *

As you can tell by my title "newbie", i and new to the world of 914s. I know this model was made from 70-76, and there are a few differant sized engine that were used. my car that i just aquired looks like it has been sitting for quite a while, and all the labels and stickers are long gone. There are quite a few problems to be worked out. Question 1, How do i know what size engine is in my car, assuming it is still stock which i think it is. Question 2 - with battery cables hooked to battery, the 2 red arched light in the fuel level guage blink just like the blinker would weather key is in on position or not. Brake reservoir is bone dry. would that cause the blinking? Ive read on here that there is a "reset" button on the master cylinder? is it an obvious button or will i have to look for it? THanks for the help.

Are these cars carburated or fuel injected? mine looks like it is carburated, but some listings i just found make me worried. If i read my schematic right the computer for the fuel injection plugs into the relay block in the engine compartment, am i correct? If they are fuel injected, and that is where the computer plugs into, i am screwed cause i cant find the computer and that plug is empty. where would the computer be?

- Paul

Assuming you have a four cylinder it came stock fuel injected. The computer would be mounted on the firewall in front of the battery. ECU's are available from a number of sources. If you don't know the year of your car it should be on the tag found on rear of driver's door opening.
+Quote Post
livinglobotomy
post Feb 28 2011, 02:29 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,612
Region Association: None

before you do anything.... take the parking brake off. your flashing will disappear as this is the parking brake warning signal and is working as designed.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 28 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

The blinking red light is the brake failure warning light

Or, the parking brake warning light. It's both. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

For the best information for you and fun for us, post some pictures of the car, trunks, interior, engine bay and we can tell you all sorts of things that we see. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Feb 28 2011, 05:46 PM
Post #6

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Some info on different bits about the 914. Both are a bit outdated now, but much of the info is still quite solid.

FAQ: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...Darling_FAQ.htm

Buyer's Guide: http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/How_to_buy_a_914.htm

No US-bound four-cylinder 914 ran carbs originally. Only the Sixes and the European-spec 1.8s did.

The blinking lights may be due to the brake warning system (either a loss of pressure or the handbrake being up will trigger it), but both should only come on when the key is on. You may have an ignition switch problem, or something shorting an "always hot" wire to a "switched power" wire.

--DD
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Feb 28 2011, 06:10 PM
Post #7

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
Post your location. I'll be there's someone close by that can help. Also, when you get more info on the motor - year - etc. post that for additional help.

Simple cars to work on. Best education is to start back about 20 pages and read all of the tech posts here and use the search button.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Feb 28 2011, 06:27 PM
Post #8

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Since the car has been sitting for some time, check the braking system thouroughly before driving it. The master cylinder and/or calipers and/or any of the hoses could be leaking (hence the empty reservoir).

The PO may have removed the ECU (computer), which you won't need when runing with carbs.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Pix of everything would help to identify what you have for a drive train.
+Quote Post
pauldunn
post Feb 28 2011, 08:13 PM
Post #9

dudeface

i have taken pictures of the car. let me know what else you wanna see.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
silver74insocal
post Feb 28 2011, 08:17 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 11,073

engine bay please (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) welcome to the madness
+Quote Post
pauldunn
post Feb 28 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #11

dudeface

engine compartment
Attached Image
+Quote Post
pauldunn
post Feb 28 2011, 08:23 PM
Post #12

dudeface

engine compartmentAttached Image
+Quote Post
pauldunn
post Feb 28 2011, 08:24 PM
Post #13

dudeface

Attached Image
+Quote Post
pauldunn
post Feb 28 2011, 08:25 PM
Post #14

dudeface

Attached Image
+Quote Post
pauldunn
post Feb 28 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #15

dudeface

Attached Image
+Quote Post
silver74insocal
post Feb 28 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #16

yep somebody put a carb on there for you so dont worry about the ecu. on your last picture showing the green carb return spring, just underneath where it is attached in the back you should see your engine code# stamped on the engine case. if you post the first 2 letters of the # we can tell you what engine you have, or record it and find it in the links previously provided (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Feb 28 2011, 08:35 PM
Post #17

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216
Region Association: Northern California

I'm sure more will chime in but, it's a carburated 1.7 or 1.8. I see an a/c compressor also.
+Quote Post
pauldunn
post Feb 28 2011, 08:42 PM
Post #18

dudeface

yes that it is. doubt it has any refridgerant in it though. cant get the engine running enough to tell. and as far as the engine code, where is it? i looked all over that engine bay and cant find anything. will it say in the vin?
+Quote Post
majkos
post Feb 28 2011, 08:49 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,729
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

if the bumpers are original
the motor a 1.7 with AC

Good god man I would drop the motor and give a good cleaning first
Get rid of the ac, pretty well assuming the refrig. is gone

You have the"Progressive carb" set-up on once was Fuel Injection

+Quote Post
silver74insocal
post Feb 28 2011, 09:35 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(pauldunn @ Feb 28 2011, 06:42 PM) *

and as far as the engine code, where is it? i looked all over that engine bay and cant find anything. will it say in the vin?

see my last post.
what is that original color? you can see it in the front trunk pic and in the engine bay pic. it looks yellow...but kinda not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:13 AM