Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SS HE's vs steel HE's, which tranfers/scavanges heat better
toon1
post Mar 1 2011, 01:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,022

A friend of mine asked me which set of HE's would transfer heat away from the engine better.

I would think it would be the SS HE's due to the fact there is less mass to retain the heat.

Since I don't know, and it seemed like an interesting question,I thought I would throw up the question to the world.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
URY914
post Mar 1 2011, 01:15 PM
Post #2

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

I don't think there is much difference between NEW steel and ss. The difference comes when the steel ones rust away.

And BTW the HE's don't "tranfer heat away from the engine". Air transfers the heat away from the engine.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Mar 1 2011, 02:07 PM
Post #3

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

he is asking - WICK - away.

i would bet one would wick away hat better than the other??

though the difference may be negligable??

because SS has wider ID than steel 1.7 and 1.8 type - i would assume SS would be better - thought steel 2.0 and SS 2.0 have about the same ID if i remember correctly.

sorry - what was the question (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 1 2011, 02:16 PM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Very little or no difference, unless rusted - which then breaks the air flow from the fan, through the heater boxes/HEs & either vented out the heater flapper boxes (cabin heat off mode) or into the cabin with the heat on - or a combination depending on the setting of the floor lever between bottom/closed & top/open full position.

Of course that assumes the heating system is all hooked-up, complete & operable.

The major cooling on 914s, VWs, etc. is both Air & Oil cooled, so those systems are more important to be in place properly, complete & fully functional - including the engine tins to direct the impeller fans' airflow.

The primary reason to go to the SS HEs is no rust to speak of - at least not in our lifetimes! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

IIRC Porsche itself eventually switched to SS on the air/oil-cooled 911/930/993 HEs.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 05:07 PM