Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Plug Wires?, Who makes a good set????
crash914
post Apr 30 2004, 05:40 PM
Post #1

its a mystery to me

Group: Members
Member No.: 434
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Ok, got my mallory distributer...Now need to get a good set of wires..

Who has any recommendations? This is on a mallory dist..so the cap is larger...

I can't hear the radio, so noise is not a problem...this is on my track car...thanks herb.....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Apr 30 2004, 06:01 PM
Post #2

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

i've suspected this for days, now it is official - people are not even LOOKING in the archives before asking the same questions...

the information in this thread is still operative ...

[rant on] this is not a mail list where stuff hangs around for a day and then it's a hard thing to go find some archives somewhere. EVERY message EVER posted is in the message base, all couple-hundred-thousand of them. in the 18 months the BBS has been in operation, virtually every 'normal' question has been discussed, multiple times. PLEASE do a basic search on your question before asking for something AGAIN...

if you REALLY have something novel, post away, we can all learn something...

[/rant]
+Quote Post
crash914
post Apr 30 2004, 06:07 PM
Post #3

its a mystery to me

yea, you got me..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

although I don't remember seeing a wire thread in the last 6 months or so.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I do actually read just about every post....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

peace.....
+Quote Post
anthony
post Apr 30 2004, 06:17 PM
Post #4

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Damn Rich, next you're going be telling everybody to cut out all the off topic crap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Slowpoke
post Apr 30 2004, 06:40 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 768

Yeah, damn right! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) Let's not waste time answering a question about a 914, when we can be dicussing the best flavor ice cream, or some other novel idea. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Apr 30 2004, 06:46 PM
Post #6

rich herzog

QUOTE(Slowpoke @ Apr 30 2004, 04:40 PM)
...Let's not waste time answering a question about a 914, when we can be dicussing the best flavor ice cream, or some other novel idea.

but do we really need twelve threads in which the same question is asked and answered ?

you expect the ebb and flow on an email-based forum because there is no convenient history. here - it's already all here...

i don't mind the OT stuff when it's appropriately labelled. sometimes i'm in the mood for that, sometimes not.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Apr 30 2004, 08:12 PM
Post #7

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

But nearly everybody opens it if there is "boobs", "Jugs","tits" in the subject line.

Does somebody need a hug (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)
+Quote Post
crash914
post May 1 2004, 06:51 AM
Post #8

its a mystery to me

Hey!....I am still looking for a recommendation on plug wires......??

I know about stock. Bosch and Breu...I am more interested in Magnecore or other wires that people are using for a high performance motor...

Are there any alternatives for the long connector? Does a msd kill the center core?

What is the latest technology used? Do killer wires help or......is yellow faster?

so many questions....so little time...
+Quote Post
machina
post May 1 2004, 07:08 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Apr 30 2004, 08:01 PM)
i've suspected this for days, now it is official - people are not even LOOKING in the archives before asking the same questions...

I'm sorry but that thread is not the be all end all of plug wire knowledge. If people want to ask a question I say go for it, even if they haven't checked the archives.

Many of these topics get answered by just a few members and then they die. If a topic is started fresh, there may be new voices chiming in.

I always like to hear what brad, chris, mark, jake, etc have to say on subjects like this because their experience is based on dozens or even hundreds of trials.

Back to the topic. I have it on high to use Aurora 8mm red. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

dr
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post May 1 2004, 07:10 AM
Post #10

rich herzog

QUOTE(crash914 @ May 1 2004, 04:51 AM)
I am still looking for a recommendation on plug wires...

...I am more interested in Magnecore or other wires that people are using for a high performance motor...

Are there any alternatives for the long connector? Does a msd kill the center core?

What is the latest technology used? Do killer wires help or....

Magnecore. never look back. i've heard Clewitt has them for /4's at good prices. 85's is all you'll need. i'm using them in my car with a Crane HI-6 that's deliverying at least as much (more, i think) energy as a racing MSD.

evidently most retailers think all /4 plug wires fit all /4's - not true - the 2,0's are different but i couldn't tell yo what that means for compatibility -- other than i'd go to someone who knows these cars when buying ...

yes, there are other products, but if you want a recommendation, that's still mine. (just like it was originally...)

for your other questions: performance of the engine doesn't matter, it's the energy delivered through the ignition system that affects plug wires.

i can't help you with the connector question, it's not a factor in my application. high energy ignitions require plug wires that are up to the current-carrying demands but most won't work for a variety of reasons with pure solid-core.

the best available technology will be found on the engines of the cars at the front of the grid. go with a good name and let them handle the engineering. unless you're going into the plug wire business, you should be caring about results, not technology...

killer wires help if you've got so much spark energy that it can't stay in your existing wires. it goes deeper - good quality parts (a la Magnecore) have boots and plug connectors that actually fit. they have aiar seals that actually seal, and they're made of high-quality silicone that won't turn brittle and break in a year's exposure to UV, ozone, and substantial amounts of heat.

if you're using a stock ignition system they won't hurt anything but your wallet, but there is no HP to be gaind by using them. they do seal good (a critical point on an aircooled engine...) and of course they look nice...
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 1 2004, 07:18 AM
Post #11

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Your going to use megasquirt right?

Magnacore is the best
MSD superconductor and NGK are OK plus
Bosch is OK
Accel 8.8 yellow is OK, but I'd take the bosch over them.

Totally stay away from Nology, Mallory and Taylor wires, as they cause a lot of problems with aftermarket EFI.
Also never use solid core wires.
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post May 1 2004, 07:59 AM
Post #12

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I usually do a search before asking a question. Most of the time it comes back with nothing so I try again with one or two words... nothing most of the time or I get a bunch of non related stuff that I try to sift thru and sometimes what I am looking for is there. I have better luck (I prolly shouldn't say this but...) with the Bird board search. Don't know if I'm using this boards search properly tho. Seems pretty straight forward... I dunno.

.....b
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 1 2004, 08:15 AM
Post #13

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

well put bruce. a search for "spark plug wires" turns up 14 threads. some repair related. what might be redundant questions are many times "want the info now" and then evolves into coils and other items. often a person can get the whole picture.

kevin
+Quote Post
seanery
post May 1 2004, 08:30 AM
Post #14

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

magnecore
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 1 2004, 09:16 AM
Post #15

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ May 1 2004, 05:59 AM)
I usually do a search before asking a question. Most of the time it comes back with nothing so I try again with one or two words... nothing most of the time or I get a bunch of non related stuff that I try to sift thru and sometimes what I am looking for is there. I have better luck (I prolly shouldn't say this but...) with the Bird board search. Don't know if I'm using this boards search properly tho.  Seems pretty straight forward... I dunno.

.....b

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Sometimes it takes 2-4 word combo's till I find what I want, sometimes no luck, even when I'm looking up my own posts!

There is no reason to get pissy when someone asks about old news. Ignore it, post the link and/or answer the question and be done with it. IMHO.
+Quote Post
maf914
post May 1 2004, 10:00 AM
Post #16

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

You could always do a CYA by opening your post with "I've done a search but I need some more info...". That might save you from getting an ass chewing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Mike
+Quote Post
kevinseven
post May 1 2004, 10:12 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 493

I just installed Magnacore on my 1.8L and they appear very nice.

I was however not thrilled with the plug side of each wire. Particularly the longer connectors like on #2. The connectors are not hard plastic shells but soft rubber tubes. On a plug like the #2 that is way down deep in the tin, I found it hard to tell if I had gotten it to seat well on the plug. The inner diameter is small enough that it really grabs the side of the plug but it's so soft that you just can't get enough leverage on it to push it far enough to hear that reassuring click.

I probably wouldn't have paid it much mind but the day I put the wires on I had also installed a Pertronix. When the car failed to run I kept yanking on the wires wondering if they were actually firing the plugs. Turned out I had FUBARed my Pertronix and the wires were fine.
+Quote Post
crash914
post May 1 2004, 11:57 AM
Post #18

its a mystery to me

I will try to remember the search function....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

But...this is the discussion that I was looking for....How well the seal to the plug is made...I have had the end of the plug unscrew many times...even after cinching it down...

I am also interested in the quality of the crimp to the conductors...how well the electrical connection is made...

I think that we are getting there...thanks!!

Now, shut up and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif) ducking for cover...herb
+Quote Post
Caveman
post May 1 2004, 01:18 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,913

Hey Mark, whats wrong with Nology wires? Friends of mine use them and swear by them. Never seen them on anything aircooled (at least running). Anybody else out there ever use Nology Hot Wires? What about there silver spark plugs?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 1 2004, 01:37 PM
Post #20

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Caveman @ May 1 2004, 11:18 AM)
Hey Mark, whats wrong with Nology wires?  Friends of mine use them and swear by them.  Never seen them on anything aircooled (at least running).  Anybody else out there ever use Nology Hot Wires?  What about there silver spark plugs?

They totally screw up (EMP?) aftermarket EFI, as their shielding sucks, wouldn't be a factor on a carb car. I've also been told they don't last very long.

Herb is running MS EFI on his teener.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 03:45 AM