Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel lines for a 3.2l with Motronic FI conversion, my "how to" from gas tank to engine
jim912928
post Mar 11 2011, 06:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I was fortunate enough that the fuel lines on my engine were fine…so I only had to worry about connections from the engine to supply and return lines. However, I didn’t want to use the old plastic lines and I needed larger diameters all the way from the tank. This sounds easy but it did take a lot of finesse. So, I decided that I would go AN from the tank to the engine (as best I could). I do want to identify several suppliers I used: 1) Pegasus for all the fuel lines, metric to AN adapters (engine return and inlet on the fuel filter) and AN fittings, Tangerine for the stainless tunnel lines with AN fittings on the engine side, JEGS for an AN fuel filter, banjo fitting for the 911 fuel pump (actually a honda part) and a brass reducer coupling I used for the return line up front and finally CB Performance for some really cool metric fuel tank (for VW's and 914's) to AN6 adapters.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Mar 11 2011, 06:47 PM
Post #2

First the Tank, here are the components I used: VW/914 adapters from CB Performance to AN6, AN6 Barbed adapters for the fuel lines, JEGS AN6 to AN10 fuel filter, AN10 Barbed fitting and the JEGS banjo fitting for the fuel pump to AN6. I retained the fuel tank sock and the little extensions for both the inlet and outlet by cutting off the exposed side. Assembly was pretty straight forward and the fuel pump/fuel filter package actually fits better than the original parts. I drastically reduced the size of the 10M hose by using the 180 degree AN fitting. I used FI hose clamps up front exclusively!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
jim912928
post Mar 11 2011, 06:49 PM
Post #3

Next I installed Tangerines stainless steel lines with AN6 fittings on the engine side. These are beautiful pieces and slid right in!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Mar 11 2011, 06:51 PM
Post #4

Finally, I routed AN6 braided fuel hose (from Pegasus in New Berlin, WI), to bulkhead adapters I put in the engine shelf. This will totally eliminate any issue with lines going through the engine shelf…and makes a nice disconnect if I have to drain the lines. Next I routed the topside lines to the filter (supply) and then to the engine (return line). I got a metric to AN adapter for the return from Pegasus and a metric to AN fitting for the fuel filter (you have to remove the fitting in there and replace it with the metric/an fitting (don’t forget a new crush washer!). I then mounted the fuel filter off of a side support using a mounting bracket used in for front mounted 914 fuel pumps.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Mar 11 2011, 06:51 PM
Post #5

And that’s it...it’s all plumbed up and doesn’t leak!
+Quote Post
brp986s
post Mar 11 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,167

Tidy little set up you got there. Don't you hate that gigantic fuel filter? Wait till you do a valve adjust. Also, somehow you managed to avoid a huge blob of motronic wiring in the same general area. Maybe cuz the engine isn't in yet. Where did you put the ecu?
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Mar 11 2011, 08:56 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

Nice job Jim, slick install! Congrats on getting the 3.2 started (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Mar 11 2011, 09:27 PM
Post #8

brp...the ecu is in the passenger compartment under the passenger seat. I just posted a thread on end-to-end wiring up a motronic setup...pics are here for the wiring thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=116617

Jim
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Mar 11 2011, 09:36 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,943
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jim912928 @ Mar 11 2011, 04:39 PM) *

...banjo fitting for the 911 fuel pump (actually a honda part)...

So which is it? A 911 pump, or a Honda pump?
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Mar 11 2011, 09:48 PM
Post #10

Dave...the fuel pump is a 911 fuel pump that came with the engine. There wasn't a "standard" banjo fitting with the right metric size to AN6 fitting. JEGS sold a metric banjo fitting that matches the Porsche Bosch fuel pump with the right AN6 fitting. The "banjo fitting" was produced for retro'ing AN6 fuel lines to a honda fuel pump. Fit perfect on the 911 bosch unit.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Mar 12 2011, 06:11 AM
Post #11

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

The last install we did with a pump like that, I found a standard banjo fitting but it needed an internal centering spacer so the crush washers would fit between the pump and banjo properly.
+Quote Post
kconway
post Apr 8 2011, 08:07 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 3,231
Region Association: Southern California

Jim,
Did you use the factory fiber washers at the tank between the modified nipple and the tank? Nice job!
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Apr 8 2011, 08:36 AM
Post #13

kconway...no I didn't. The AN adapters come with the washer shown which is some type of rubber compound made to handle fuel applications. The part from CB comes with the fitting and washer.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 10:02 PM