Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Torsion bars
Trekkor
post May 3 2004, 07:57 AM
Post #21

I do things...

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I'm in the same spot. Not happy with stock.
( Or blown shocks )
Brad is setting the package for my car that should get me my *fix*. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

f/r Koni yellows ( rears on last night )
150-175# springs
23mm torsion bars
31mm Smart Camber front sway
stock rear sway

Very expensive. What can one do?

I'm thinking about starting a " my evolving suspension " thread.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pcar_914_6
post May 3 2004, 04:20 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,999

My compromise car has been streetable for lot's of years and I like it with the following setup.

Weight: 2250# with me in it. Fuel load and oil cooler are between and slightly in front of, the front tires in the bottom of the front compartment. Battery and fire bottle in the old fuel compartment

Front:
23mm torsions
22mm anti-sway (adjustable)
Bilstien 911 struts and rotors
1.8 dgr neg. camber
225/50-16 tires

Rear:
200# adjustable-height coils
no anti-sway bar
Koni gas-adjustables
1.8 dgr neg. camber
245/45-16 tires

I have to work to get it to turn quickly at an AX but letting out the front anti-sway bar does wonders for the turn-in rate. Obviously I'm not an AX'r by anyone's measure but it's a blast to run them.

Slight understeer with throttled oversteer when needed. The ride-stiffness is acceptable to me but Dave Darling rode quite a few miles in it last Fall and will be more objective than I on passenger comfort. I don't notice it 'cause I'm deaf and numb!

Ron
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post May 3 2004, 05:22 PM
Post #23

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(4WheelDrifter @ May 3 2004, 09:33 AM)
Chris,

I figured a sway bar was the best way to go but not doing that now. I'll wait until the get the car torn down for the resto and have it done then. Thanks for the input. I'll just let it all hang out for now.

The easy solution in your case is to change the rear springs to 100lb. That would get rid of the oversteer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Then you could make all the upgrades when the car was apart for restoration.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post May 3 2004, 05:47 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have koni sports all around, rear adjustable perches with 150lb springs, just installed 22mm front torsion bars and NO swaybar(s).

I haven't driven it much, but I can get oversteer in a slow corner by stomping on the gas around a corner, and understeer while off the gas - sorta neutral. My guess is you will be fine.

I was thinking I would need dental work upgrading from stock to 22mm torsion bars, but that is not the case at all. Maybe with a sway bar one wheel dips might be a little harsher, I dunno.
+Quote Post
F4i
post May 20 2004, 06:47 PM
Post #25

914 DOG!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,460

Just want to say thanks to JP. Awesome! Got the bars. Like new and packaged better than some of the parts houses I order from. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post May 20 2004, 07:27 PM
Post #26

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

I shipped a guy a crank & rods .....24./2.7L...never shoulda solt em'.
Anyhew, I attached instructions to the box I built bout the proper method for opening it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

When he got the stuff, the guy wrote back raving about the box.....casually mentioned that the stuff inside was nice too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
F4i
post May 20 2004, 08:44 PM
Post #27

914 DOG!

Maybe e-bay and high volume parts houses are to blame. Stuff gets shipped very poorly sometimes. Its nice to see someone care about my new part as much as I do. They are going in tonight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
F4i
post May 20 2004, 08:49 PM
Post #28

914 DOG!

This is OT but it remindes me of a funny story. A friend of mine works rock concerts. Setup, teardown, lights, etc. If the last guys did a really crappy job of packing up my frien and crew pack everything very nicely and send it back after the concert. However they screw the boxes shut with robertson screws. Apparently this little invention has not quite caught on in the US. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) They do send a bit "enclosed in box" though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 02:09 AM