Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT Carwash damage
GWN7
post May 2 2004, 02:33 PM
Post #1

King of Road Trips

Group: Members
Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

So my last stop when I head South is to top the tank off and get the truck washed (Customs likes nice clean trucks). The Petro-Canada station where I stop has a brushless automatic car wash, you know the kind that has the mop of 3" wide material that wiggles all over you car.

Well yesterday on the last pass over the truck the material mass gets jammed in the drivers side wiper blade and starts to pull the wiper forward at a 45 degree angle. Then it starts to pull the truck forward (3,500 lbs.), till the material tears off and the wiper snaps back against the windshield. Now the wiper arm is stuck in the middle of the windshield. I pull out of the carwash and get out to look at the damage. I figure the wiper is just out of cycle and I hit the wiper switch to bump it (hopefully) back in place and the rubber part of the wiper slides off and I now have bare metal which make nice scrapes in the windshield pillar post and the wiper arm comes past the pillar post and smacks me in the face as I'm standing beside the truck.

Now I'm seeing stars and I notice one of them isn't moving. Right where the metal part of the wiper arm hit the windshield when it snapped back there is a star shaped crack in the windshield.

I go in to the gas bar part of the building and report to the girl working there that the carwash damaged my truck. She says what happened? I tell her. Her answer is "that's not our fault, your suppost to take those off before you enter the carwash"

WTF .....I don't think so....who is the manager? So she gives me his first name & a phone number. The phone number is to another gas bar that he isn't at either. He will be here tomorrow, I'm told.

I still have to go South so I head off. 10 min later I get pulled over by the RCMP. He says "I couldn't help noticing your wiper, does it work?" I explained what happened and even showed him the piece of material from the carwash that was stuck in the wiper arm. And the red mark on my face where the wiper smacked me. I get off with a warning "Get it fixed as soon as possible" .....Could have been a faulty equipment ticket.

So today I call the the number for the manager again. He's not in...again. Call him tomorrow, I'm told again. Screw that, I'm calling my insurance company.

New wiper, wiper arm, opperating mech, windshield and paint pillarpost. Truck rental while mines down for repair.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
GWN7   OT Carwash damage   May 2 2004, 02:33 PM
GWN7   GM wipers are on a spline so they can only be put ...   May 2 2004, 02:36 PM
GWN7   and the star crack   May 2 2004, 02:37 PM
seanery   dude that sucks   May 2 2004, 02:45 PM
GWN7   $900.00 damage. New windshield, wiper transmi...   May 4 2004, 09:49 AM
boxstr   The drive-thru car washes down here, have signs al...   May 4 2004, 09:58 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 06:57 AM