Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914/6 Race Car - Price Check, What's the market?
EdwardBlume
post Mar 21 2011, 07:35 AM
Post #1

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I have an oppt to buy a really nice street Porsche and am wondering what my race car would go for these days.

Its the former Grantsfo pirate ship... been sitting here unused for the last 2 years... and I've used it twice... Yeah, I know.

Here's a short list of things:
'74 low mile chassis
FG trunks, bumpers, and flares
5-6 year old 2.5 purpose built /6 motor, carb, twin plug
LSD transmission
5 lug / full suspension
Cage
Kirkley seat
2 sets of wheels

Known issues:
LSD slips
Engine smokes after sitting long periods
Carbs likely need cleaning

Package would include nice Carson steel open deck trailer.

What's it worth?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DanT
post Mar 21 2011, 10:04 AM
Post #2

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

Rob,
I know first hand that this is a well prepared car and needs only just a little attention to a couple of items to be a contender at AX and TT.

The market for racecars (seems even more so for 914s) is very soft right now.
There have been several very nice cars here that have gone wanting for several months or more. Like Elliott's car.
I won't put a price on it, since I know it might influence other's responses...

good luck with the sale.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 22 2011, 04:59 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

Hey Rob:

The market for race cars is somewhat soft, unless you happen to be selling something that meets the market's sweet spot.

If I had to do it all again I'd just do it on eBay and put a retainer figure that meets your minimum objective. eBay gets the word out - gives you EXPOSURE.

Also putting a longer buying period on it will attract more people.

I would also figure out how to link the sale to face book, another medium that will get you huge exposure.

And with your natural talent you should do a video on YouTube. Like the metamorphosis of a young married guy that has to give up his first beauty (race car) to retain his most important asset, i.e. Cheryl. It will probably go viral.

Be realistic, but put a price that will make you ok with the deal.

Otherwise, just keep it and run it.

+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 22 2011, 05:33 PM
Post #4

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

What I did when pricing mine.
I started at one end of the car with a pad & pencil and figured (as honestly as possible) what I could get by parting it out. I mentally prepared my self to do so if I could not near that number as a complete car. It was quite a revelation.
I was over 22K still hadn't included the chassis, spares, tools, truck, trailer, yada.
It was not something I was looking forward to but I was offered 20K & took it.

My car was in perfect running condition (and it wasn't built by Grant (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ). Yours is not and it is tough to figure what yours needs & how much that is gonna cost.
Parting it out is a viable option. Brit sold off most of the running gear (less the trans) & all the conversion parts...and the stuff went quick. The funds weren't quite what it took to do the change over to Subie power.....but the went a little Ga Ga on that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Mar 24 2011, 06:25 AM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Thanks guys! I appreciate the good advice!
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Mar 24 2011, 05:31 PM
Post #6

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

The reality check of selling your custom 914 is why so may of us keep them for so long (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
brilliantrot
post Mar 24 2011, 11:25 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 7,699

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Mar 24 2011, 04:31 PM) *

The reality check of selling your custom 914 is why so may of us keep them for so long

Truer words were never spoken.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Mar 25 2011, 06:54 AM
Post #8

914 Wizard

QUOTE(brilliantrot @ Mar 24 2011, 10:25 PM) *

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Mar 24 2011, 04:31 PM) *

The reality check of selling your custom 914 is why so may of us keep them for so long

Truer words were never spoken.

And the reality check of parting it out? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 25 2011, 08:06 AM
Post #9

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(RobW @ Mar 25 2011, 05:54 AM) *

And the reality check of parting it out? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

The reality check comes when you name your price and the lowballers come out from under their rocks, BTDT. The race car market is SOFT.

Quit screwing around & put it on evilbay. I doubt anyone here will name a price for you, but evilbay will. Use your purchase price as a reserve & see what happens.
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Mar 29 2011, 08:11 AM
Post #10

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

$13k
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Mar 30 2011, 05:14 PM
Post #11

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Sold my ...err your old Boxster race for $13K but I get added benefit of being able to drive the car still. Man I should have figured that one out a long time ago! I did get quite a bit for other parts that came with the car or that I removed.

Market is soft but you never know. I'd say put it out there for $15K and see what happens.

This is always a fun one to show people if they want to know if a little 2.5 is very fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSaL5XpVTt8

or for (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8xE1XNpoGE

Its probably one of the few unreinforced 914-6 race cars still out there however. It does have a clean chassis.

This post has been edited by grantsfo: Mar 30 2011, 05:15 PM
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Mar 30 2011, 06:04 PM
Post #12

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 22 2011, 03:33 PM) *

My car was in perfect running condition (and it wasn't built by Grant (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ). Yours is not and it is tough to figure what yours needs & how much that is gonna cost.
Parting it out is a viable option. Brit sold off most of the running gear (less the trans) & all the conversion parts...and the stuff went quick. The funds weren't quite what it took to do the change over to Subie power.....but the went a little Ga Ga on that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

JP you're really a class act! Robs car was built by both JD Racing and Rich Bontempi. Rob has also done work on the car since buying it from me. Very well respected names in the business. If you want to trash their reputations on line you go for it my friend. Or is your intent is to hurt Rob and his family financially by bashing his car? Ask numerous drivers of the car about how terrible it was. LOL!

...And your car was far from perfect and had plenty of issues. You forget Brit talks with Brad and I spent time with him in San Diego looking at all the repairs that hadnt been done. Remember all of his excuses at San Diego??? LOL! Guess its easy to forget all the issues when you are getting senile.

+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Mar 31 2011, 12:00 AM
Post #13

914 Wizard

Decided to keep it and run it this year...

FWIW - Grant built a great car... which he drove to the limit. I've yet to get close to what he could do with this thing.. I'm going to try and configure it for AX comp and run it... just need tires, springs, and ?

All the best!
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 31 2011, 09:26 AM
Post #14

Irrelevant old fart

duh
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Mar 31 2011, 11:03 AM
Post #15

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 31 2011, 08:26 AM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Mar 30 2011, 05:04 PM) *

[JP you're really a class act! Robs car was built by both JD Racing and Rich Bontempi. Rob has also done work on the car since buying it from me. Very well respected names in the business. If you want to trash their reputations on line you go for it my friend. Or is your intent is to hurt Rob and his family financially by bashing his car? Ask numerous drivers of the car about how terrible it was. LOL!

...And your car was far from perfect and had plenty of issues. You forget Brit talks with Brad and I spent time with him in San Diego looking at all the repairs that hadnt been done. Remember all of his excuses at San Diego??? LOL! Guess its easy to forget all the issues when you are getting senile.

It was in perfect condition when I sold it. I was not involved with the changes made to it prior to the SD event (I didn't think much trick clutch/flywheel idea...he got that from Brad). Typically, you don't know anywhere near what you think you do.....but that has never kept you from running your mouth.

You both do your fare share of running your mouth and bashing on each other. However, I find it in very poor taste to do it in a thread where someone was simply trying to get a price on his race car. You old farts who no longer own 914s should take your BS elsewhere if you can't play nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 31 2011, 11:48 AM
Post #16

Irrelevant old fart

You're right, Jon, I apologize.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Mar 31 2011, 02:24 PM
Post #17

914 Wizard

OK, so what size springs should I run for AXing? Grant told me but I forgot... also, what type of tires. I need heat faster than slicks if possible...
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Mar 31 2011, 02:55 PM
Post #18

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

It really depends on how the rest of your system is set up. I had 275lb springs on mine and it felt great when paired with everything else I have. I think JP had 275 or 300s on his.

How wide can you go on tires? One race engeneer told me that the Hoosier A6s are about a second to two seconds slower than fresh cantilevers. That seems ridiculous to me but I am in no position to quesiton this guy. I have run RA1s, V710s and A6s and the grip was better with each tire. So if you can fit the cantilevers they will have the best stick.
+Quote Post
jjackson
post Mar 31 2011, 06:27 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 12,246

Car looks great!Poor market to sell unless you need the cash or the other car that you mentioned.Good buyers market.The tires you mentioned above are all radials except for the cantilever GY.They all (the radials) require more camber -2 Plus bordering on 3.The cantilevers like closer to one degree.In our testing, our cars like the bias ply tires with less negative camber.Our car is 1900lb and we are lighter sprung than the above mentioned figures.The ability to Match a car to your paticular driving style-and fine tune as courses require-seems more important .I've read a lot of conflicting setups on this forum-Everybody justifies their paticular setup and expense.There is no replacement for seat time.J Jackson
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 31 2011, 07:22 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(RobW @ Mar 31 2011, 01:24 PM) *

OK, so what size springs should I run for AXing? Grant told me but I forgot... also, what type of tires. I need heat faster than slicks if possible...

Real simple reason for using cantilevered tires. You can get take off (used once for qualifying) at half price.

I'd ask around Rob and find a couple sets of springs and just try them. Take pictures of the car in different corners and you'll figure it out.

I might have some for you to borrow. I'll check.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 07:19 AM