Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Updating my '73's fuel system, SS lines & relocating the pump
76-914
post Mar 24 2011, 11:41 AM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

While my drive train is out I decided to do some fuel upgrades. Once I had removed the tank to R&R hoses I decided to upgrade to the 75-76 style sans the 2 port pump. Why? Why spend the extra $$$, now. When this pump goes out I will change to the 2 port style which will require pulling the tank again, but so what. So now that the tank was out I ordered up a set of 8mm SS lines and required appurtanances from Rotary914. On a '73 the fuel lines are different sizes which makes it a little easier to slide on of the new 8mm lines into the grommets. Robert's video suggest 2 men to change these lines out but I had just myself. I found that by removing the shifter base bolts and turning the base 90 degrees I could push/pull the SS lines (one at a time) with a pair of vise grips with one hand while guiding the end thru the front grommet with the other hand. As Robert says in his video, "WD 40 is your friend".
Attached Image

Attached Image

Next was to relo the fuel pump to avoid the vapor locking syndrome. I had asked around and heard both sides but figured this car may be in a hotter climate some day and I'll save the next owner a tow charge. Besides, it's one less fire starter in the engine bay. So as you all know, here was it's home beneath the battery (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) and adjacent to the hottest burning cylinder and oil cooler (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
Attached Image

I wanted to locate the pump in the same place as my 76 but it wouldn't work out for me so I located it on the psg side. I was able to re-use the existing shock/vibration mounts. BTW, these are still available thru Aircraft Spruce. The blue tape was just a reference to the spare tire cover/lid so that it would be concealed and out of harms way. I will locate the filter beneath the tank (I know, I know) because I will be pulling the tank in 2 yr's to examine the hoses. As an experiment in longevity, I am using the new Goodyear hose in a side by side test with the German hose. e.g. 5/16" vs. 8mm on gravitational side and 1/4" vs. 7mm on the pressure side.
Attached Image

And the backside. Notice the grommets. You could use some old larger sized hose for this, also.
Attached Image
While I'm at it I will relo the vapor cannister but that's another thread.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 24 2011, 05:52 PM
Post #2

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Nice and clean; I like the grommets too.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Mar 24 2011, 05:59 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 24 2011, 04:52 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I need to do the same thing. Nice work.
+Quote Post
jeff9146
post Apr 5 2011, 03:38 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,313
Region Association: None

Nice job !
I am planing to do the same on my 6 (carbed) and also fiting stainless steel pipes through the tunnel. In that case, as I have no return from the carbs, I think that the return pipe in the tunnel is not necessairy, the return from the pump can be done directly to the tank. Am I right ?
Thanks for your help,
Jeff
QUOTE(windforfun @ Mar 24 2011, 03:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 24 2011, 04:52 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I need to do the same thing. Nice work.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 5 2011, 03:51 PM
Post #5

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

I felt ashamed when I saw how dirty that area was so I'm posting a pic after some soap & water.

Attached Image

Edit: I can't imagine why you would need a return.
+Quote Post
silver74insocal
post Apr 5 2011, 04:00 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 11,073

is that a filter i see going under the tank? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) heres to hoping it dont crap out on you sir (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:17 PM