Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> EFI for 1k, programable
r_towle
post Mar 27 2011, 03:00 PM
Post #1

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Does it exist yet?

Ideally, 1k for ITB's, EFI and harness.

Anyone...and no Megasquirt please..

Looking for something to start with...then like any good drug, get hooked and pay more to play.

Rich
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 27 2011, 04:58 PM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

No.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 27 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #3

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

You can buy a number of entry level ECU's with harnesses for <$1k, but ITB's are definately not going to come in under that mark. ITB's are expensive enough that In fact, unless you adapter motorcycle throttle bodies, I am condident you would spend more than that piecing together a MS system with them.

Off the top of my head, Adaptronic, DTA, Performance Electronics, and Spectre (EMS Pro) all offer resonably priced ECU's. Also, at the pricepoint you are looking at, I really wouldn't discount pre-assembled MS units or Microsquirts. The last MS product I played with was 2.5+ years ago and I wasn't super impressed by the quality, but from what I have seen of late, they seem to be maturing into extremely nice products. Part of my disatisfaction was post likely related to my inexperience. Right now I have friends whose DD's run with them. I do like the Adaptronic e420C, the one on our racecar has been bulletproof, its only limitation is the lack of individual cylinder trim, and a slightly different correction tabel setup.
+Quote Post
CG-914
post Mar 27 2011, 07:09 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,526
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Mar 27 2011, 08:36 PM) *

You can buy a number of entry level ECU's with harnesses for <$1k, but ITB's are definately not going to come in under that mark. ITB's are expensive enough that In fact, unless you adapter motorcycle throttle bodies, I am condident you would spend more than that piecing together a MS system with them.

Off the top of my head, Adaptronic, DTA, Performance Electronics, and Spectre (EMS Pro) all offer resonably priced ECU's. Also, at the pricepoint you are looking at, I really wouldn't discount pre-assembled MS units or Microsquirts. The last MS product I played with was 2.5+ years ago and I wasn't super impressed by the quality, but from what I have seen of late, they seem to be maturing into extremely nice products. Part of my disatisfaction was post likely related to my inexperience. Right now I have friends whose DD's run with them. I do like the Adaptronic e420C, the one on our racecar has been bulletproof, its only limitation is the lack of individual cylinder trim, and a slightly different correction tabel setup.

are there links for these?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 27 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #5

Custom Member

QUOTE(CG-914 @ Mar 27 2011, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Mar 27 2011, 08:36 PM) *

are there links for these?

Seriously?
You have heard of Google, right?

Rich
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Mar 27 2011, 07:44 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

Double that number & this is an option, although I know of nobody who has used this.

You can check their catalog, they do have a 914 ultra competition FI system for sale.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 27 2011, 08:52 PM
Post #7

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

QUOTE(echocanyons @ Mar 27 2011, 06:44 PM) *

Double that number & this is an option, although I know of nobody who has used this.

You can check their catalog, they do have a 914 ultra competition FI system for sale.

This is the cheapest option out there. A complete system for $1700. You will spend more on Megasquirt and misc parts to fab up a system. Plus this system looks cool.
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Mar 27 2011, 09:29 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

If you want to stay anywhere near that price Megasquirt is your only option. The cheapest ITB's I know of (that are actually made for our appliction) are the cb performance 48MMs but those are still $530 just for the pair of bare TB's. Add injectors, fuel rails, manifold, linkage, velocity stacks, filters, and a TPS and you are already close to 1k before even looking at an ECU or harness.

Using MS as the ECU you could pull it off for around 1k, anything else and best case is about twice that.

What are you currently running carbs or d-jet, and what is your reason for wanting to go to aftermarket injection?

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 27 2011, 01:00 PM) *

Does it exist yet?

Ideally, 1k for ITB's, EFI and harness.

Anyone...and no Megasquirt please..

Looking for something to start with...then like any good drug, get hooked and pay more to play.

Rich

+Quote Post
JamesM
post Mar 27 2011, 09:33 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

I am not to familar with the others but from what i remember the Spectre EMS pro IS a Megasquirt 1 based ECU. Whenever you see a low cost ECU look really close, good change it is megasquirt based.

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Mar 27 2011, 04:36 PM) *

+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 27 2011, 09:42 PM
Post #10

Its alive

Yep. It is MS1 based. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, but while MS-based, it does have a warranty so I don't consider it the same. When people say they don't want MS, I usually assume their aversion is because of the lack of factory support.

The others are not at all related to MS.

This is totally OT, but, if anyone here is into controls and really wants to go hardcore custom with their engine controls look into the Adaptronic e1280. It has custom function scripting ability.

This isn't a paid plug (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) , just a satisfied customer, but I would recomend the Adaptronic stuff if anyone wants to spend a bit more money. I've dealt with the guys at Adaptronic, and they are awesome. Even though they are located in Oz so the timezones are really spread, they have answered and question we (my FSAE team) have had in literally a matter of hours.
+Quote Post
wertygrog
post Mar 27 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #11

wertygrog

Member No.: 5,114
Region Association: Southern California

I did a Megasquirt setup on my type 4 turbocharged sand rail for well under 1 kilodollar and it works great. I took the venturis out of my 40IDF's and BAM there's your ITB's.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 27 2011, 11:39 PM
Post #12

Its alive

If you already have carbs thats a great solution. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) My dad and I are planning on doing that with his 911's Zeniths so we can stealthily retrofit EFI.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 28 2011, 08:16 AM
Post #13

Custom Member

QUOTE(wertygrog @ Mar 28 2011, 12:31 AM) *

I did a Megasquirt setup on my type 4 turbocharged sand rail for well under 1 kilodollar and it works great. I took the venturis out of my 40IDF's and BAM there's your ITB's.

Details...pics of carbs...please.
Sensor location?

Rich
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Mar 28 2011, 08:28 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

A guy at work just gave me some 41MM TB's off a GSXR. Looking for webber intakes now to update my MS2.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 28 2011, 09:02 AM
Post #15

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

I would guess I have $750 in Jenvey TB's, + some EFI components used such as TPS, injectors, etc. Another $1250 to SDS for the system with harness delete. About $500 so far to Jeff Bowlsby to build a custom harness. Some misc. stuff that isn't cheap but I can't think of now...
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Mar 28 2011, 10:44 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 10,019

The CB option as stated above, is very inexpensive IMO ......... it may even be possible to remove manifolds and linkage from the kit to get a better price, if one already has them.

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1665
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 28 2011, 11:19 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

What a great deal. People I know that have utilized CB performance engines are happy, but in any event you should ask CB performance for references.

FYI when we put FI on "222" we were plowing new ground.

We used the Link System from New Zealand. Paul Harvey, Performance Development, did the harness (*), which was developed from scratch, we used TWM throttle bodies and fuel rails. There are braided and high pressure lines everywhere all of which cost $$. Of course we needed a high pressure fuel regulator, filter and very high performance fuel pump, plus all the other accessories, i.e., 02 sensors, etc. We use CB maniforlds.

And then we had the nose bleed of developing a fuel map on the dyno which costs, in itself, more than twice what CB charges for their entire system, let alone all the HW.

The CB approach looks to be a very cost effective and a huge positive is that it is "matched," i.e., the homework is done. If you went this way you should seriously consider having them do the initial tuning as well.

(*) I have the diagrams if you'd like to see them

PS The most positive thing about FI is that once it is done, your done. No more messing with tuning regardless of where you are, i.e., sea level or off running a hill climb at 5000 feet.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 28 2011, 11:39 AM
Post #18

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

MS based systems (and others) also require a laptop computer and a lot of trial and error tuning the system. The CB system claims a plug and play adaptability.

I have made fuel and ignition maps from scratch. Not a bunch of fun but can be rewarding when it runs right. It is very time consuming.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 28 2011, 12:16 PM
Post #19

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Nothing beats SDS for ease of tuning. Nothing
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Mar 28 2011, 12:37 PM
Post #20

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

and what about the quote : simple f/ i kit from / laptop less !

cb

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=278
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:50 AM