Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> EFI for 1k, programable
r_towle
post Mar 28 2014, 09:45 AM
Post #21

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

back from the past....

Have the prices come down yet?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 28 2014, 10:12 AM
Post #22

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

if the linkage isn't right you'll have the SAME nagging issues. software and no amount of money thrown at a system will cure them. i think closer to $3k is what the full meal deal will run when all is said and done.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Mar 28 2014, 10:56 AM
Post #23

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Nope. But MicroSquirt gets you an ECU for $300 and it's what's running my Turbo 1.7.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 28 2014, 10:56 AM
Post #24

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

You could also use old 80s GM EFI, the port injection stuff, is simple, a MAP, TPS, AIT, CTS, and a feed for the trigger off a dizzy. A few hours at a Pick and pull you have your stuff. Another couple hours of dyno time with a person that knows how to program this stuff and your done. LOL thats as cheap as it gets.

Or build your own intake, with single TB, is by far the easiest. I have used Motorcycle TBs off a Ducati 1200cc units. You have to get the manifold spacing right. Cut weld tip, or build custom manifolds, not as had as you might think. You can do it out of fiberglass and carbon fiber. With a little bit of foam as the core. You design them form the inside out. Build the runners out of foam, build the mounts out of Al plate, drill all our holes etc... Glue the runners to the plates, and then wrap the foam with packing tape. And epoxy, and glass them up. a couple layers of fiberglass then wrap in carbon. Very lite part, and not bad if you want to build a custom intake. Yhn gut the foam, its a lost casting method. Great for one off parts terrible for production.

If it was me, an your dead set of ITBs. I would go motorcycle, custom intake, and then use a Microsquirt. They are rugged prebuilt, limited, but pretty nice package.

Or if you want to learn, efi your lawn mower or other small engine. a four stroke 2 cylinder engine will give you all the same issues as your 914 engine. In some ways even more. And if you blow it up its not as bad as dumping a type-4 engine.

Or get a cheap beater car that is EFI, rip out the factory ECU, and install, Micro, Mega, SDS, HalTech, and find it used.

Megasquirt even makes a PnP unit, which is not bad way to learn into a factory engine.
+Quote Post
1stworks
post Mar 28 2014, 11:29 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 15,718

QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 28 2014, 10:56 AM) *

You could also use old 80s GM EFI, the port injection stuff, is simple, a MAP, TPS, AIT, CTS, and a feed for the trigger off a dizzy. A few hours at a Pick and pull you have your stuff. Another couple hours of dyno time with a person that knows how to program this stuff and your done. LOL thats as cheap as it gets.

Or build your own intake, with single TB, is by far the easiest. I have used Motorcycle TBs off a Ducati 1200cc units. You have to get the manifold spacing right. Cut weld tip, or build custom manifolds, not as had as you might think. You can do it out of fiberglass and carbon fiber. With a little bit of foam as the core. You design them form the inside out. Build the runners out of foam, build the mounts out of Al plate, drill all our holes etc... Glue the runners to the plates, and then wrap the foam with packing tape. And epoxy, and glass them up. a couple layers of fiberglass then wrap in carbon. Very lite part, and not bad if you want to build a custom intake. Yhn gut the foam, its a lost casting method. Great for one off parts terrible for production.

If it was me, an your dead set of ITBs. I would go motorcycle, custom intake, and then use a Microsquirt. They are rugged prebuilt, limited, but pretty nice package.

Or if you want to learn, efi your lawn mower or other small engine. a four stroke 2 cylinder engine will give you all the same issues as your 914 engine. In some ways even more. And if you blow it up its not as bad as dumping a type-4 engine.

Or get a cheap beater car that is EFI, rip out the factory ECU, and install, Micro, Mega, SDS, HalTech, and find it used.

Megasquirt even makes a PnP unit, which is not bad way to learn into a factory engine.

Good stuff!!!

+Quote Post
2mAn
post Mar 28 2014, 11:36 AM
Post #26

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644
Region Association: Southern California

on my watercooled 1.6 build Im using CBR600F4i throttle bodies, and megasquirt. I got the ITBs for $45 shipped. Im sure I'll be under $1000 when its all said and done. If I were to go with a programmable EFI setup for an aircooled motor, I would be looking at Microsquirt.
+Quote Post
ablesnead
post Mar 28 2014, 03:41 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 16,395

Mario at Vdubengineering has the whole kit...or a piece at the time like I am buying it with basic conservative maps installed ..uses the ms or micro squirt..cb itbs...real nice fuel rails ect....trigger kit for crankfire and cop is 140.00...made of stainless looks nice....vw guy doesnt have a 914 but uses type 4s in vws...
+Quote Post
ablesnead
post Mar 28 2014, 03:46 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 16,395

the dubshop.net my bad
+Quote Post
Sfreeman615
post Mar 28 2014, 04:04 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 17,033
Region Association: South East States

Micro Squirt:

http://www.useasydocs.com/quickstart.htm
+Quote Post
post Mar 28 2014, 07:29 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245

Very informative!
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Mar 28 2014, 07:35 PM
Post #31

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 27 2011, 02:00 PM) *

Does it exist yet?

Ideally, 1k for ITB's, EFI and harness.

Anyone...and no Megasquirt please..

Looking for something to start with...then like any good drug, get hooked and pay more to play.

Rich

I think the idtb are not ness
The cleanest setup I've seen was taken off a vw.rabbit
And put in a 914 , so if I were doing it ( never happen as long as my d,jet keeps goin)
Id go to pick apart , get a rabbit fuel injection system and I'm sure I'd stay on budget
Over all this new fangled high tech b,s

Shout out to the cheap sob

" who do you think you are ,mickey spillane , your not a writer
Your a killer. Yes sir , a killer !
+Quote Post
post Mar 28 2014, 07:39 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

[quote name='914forme' date='Mar 28 2014, 09:56 AM' post='2017248']
You could also use old 80s GM EFI, the port injection stuff, is simple, a MAP, TPS, AIT, CTS, and a feed for the trigger off a dizzy. A few hours at a Pick and pull you have your stuff. Another couple hours of dyno time with a person that knows how to program this stuff and your done. LOL thats as cheap as it gets."

First of all, I have next to no real knowledge on this modern FI stuff.

Regards to the above suggestion....that's exactly what I'm trying to do now.
I've been talked into trying to adapt a Honda Civic ODB1 ECU to run on my new type 4 engine.
I've search and found out that Mark produces a "trigger " wheel for the fuel injection.
If he reads this posting, I have a question for him.
Can I simply utilize that trigger to communicate / fire off the injectors?
You see...I do mean I have no knowledge.

Thanks for any future input.

+Quote Post
post Mar 28 2014, 07:39 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

[quote name='914forme' date='Mar 28 2014, 09:56 AM' post='2017248']
You could also use old 80s GM EFI, the port injection stuff, is simple, a MAP, TPS, AIT, CTS, and a feed for the trigger off a dizzy. A few hours at a Pick and pull you have your stuff. Another couple hours of dyno time with a person that knows how to program this stuff and your done. LOL thats as cheap as it gets."

I've been talked into trying to adapt a Honda Civic ODB1 ECU to run on my new type 4 engine.
I've search and found out that Mark produces a "trigger " wheel for the fuel injection.

Thanks for any future input.......sorry as my finger was too fast...thus the double post.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 28 2014, 09:08 PM
Post #34

Okay this should be fun.

If your the kind that learns by doing then here is my suggestion.

Pickup a Megasquirt Kit, build the dang thing, its not hard, take your time follow the instructions.

Then pickup One of these and use it to learn what happens when you change parameters and input values. It is a great way to learn ,and if you blow something up, your out very little. Not like putting a hole in a piston.

Biggest problem you have with using a near EFI system, is the engines VE is different, it can be worked through but it is not as easy as bolting on an modern EFI. If you want a basic system then K-jet conversion is a great choice as it is a mechanical analog system. Used for several years on VW, Porsches and several others, very simple in nature, and very easy to keep running.

There are several good books out now on EFI.
+Quote Post
edwin
post Mar 29 2014, 01:02 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 10,384
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

I used a Haltech sprint 500 when I converted my car a couple of years ago.
It cost me a bit then but I'm pretty sure if I planned really carefully I could do the same setup under $1000.
I used weber 38idf carbs and gutted them, Mitsubishi dissy and LS1 coils.
My dad wants me to do his 2ltr kombi for him and I'll use the oem fi manifold rather than ITB as it didn't gain me anything on what I assume is a stock rebuild.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
type47
post Mar 30 2014, 08:18 AM
Post #36

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 28 2014, 05:35 PM) *

The cleanest setup I've seen was taken off a VW Rrabbit and put in a 914 ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...onic+conversion

Attached Image
Attached Image
best of all, it's a NO BRAINER (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 30 2014, 08:47 AM
Post #37

If your using Carbs, epoxy all the holes except the idle bypasses. Gut them make the bores as clean as you can. Do not forgot that you ned a vacuum tap in each bore, an build a vacuum manifold so your MAP can pickup a more stable signal.

Carbs are a great way to build these, you just don't need all the junk.

Plan and simple its way easier to do a manifold and a single TB.

Key is go out and have fun, and learn something new.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 30 2014, 10:26 AM
Post #38

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(396 @ Mar 28 2014, 06:39 PM) *

Thanks for any future input.......sorry as my finger was too fast...thus the double post.

Brad and I talked briefly about a setup like this. Bottom line... You can use the EFI off any engine on a 914 IF you can duplicate all the sensor input/output. This does not mean it will run well. Once you duplicate sensors, you are at the mercy of the ECU fuel map. Most likely it will run but will not be matched to the engine you are putting it on.

Early ODBI systems have almost no fuel correction. A 2005 or later ODBII system with WB O2 would correct better. But is is still not setup for an air cooled engine.

If you want to play with OEM EFI systems, pick one with a big aftermarket support group. Honda, Subaru & Toyota have great support for flashing ECU's. And web sites like this one for technical info. The newer the ECU, the more support there usually is. Early ECU's use a ton of vacuum lines to make everything work and smog correctly. I would stay away from 1990's ECU's except GM.

I could take the Audi/VW ECU (2000 MY) I have and rework it for a T4 but the cam and crank signals would require some creative internal modifications. All the other sensors just bolt on somewhere.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Mar 30 2014, 11:41 AM
Post #39

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

So it seems the general topic: OE FI troubleshooting / FI tweek'ing / FI replacement / Mega - Microsquirt implementation, has reached a point of critical mass ?
Time has taken its toll on 35+ yr old parts, OE supply has dwindled or disappeared.
Aftermarket support & options for "PnP kits" has improved & costs have come down (some).

Admins, is it time we devote a sub-forum to aggregate the collective wisdom, experience and solutions?
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 30 2014, 12:25 PM
Post #40

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Mar 30 2014, 10:41 AM) *

Admins, is it time we devote a sub-forum to aggregate the collective wisdom, experience and solutions?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

This might be a good idea... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:14 AM