Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> my 914 is causing me to be depressed :(, car is going to be "ugly" for WCC..compr
Mueller
post May 3 2004, 09:40 AM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

So how could such a fun and wonderful car cause depression?????

Well, I finally realized that for the time being, I'm not going to have a show winning, awe inspiring, "I've-got-to-have-one-of-these" 914's......it ain't going to happen to me anytime soon. I see the car's that Brad and others have built and I so want my car to be perfect with everything shiney and new, but I guess I've got to know when to throw in the towel and face the facts that in order to have a 914 that at least runs, I've got to just start putting it together as-is

I had so many plans for doing this and that and I finally came to the conclusion that it's not that big of a deal right now, I've driven bigger pieces of cr@p 914's before (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
(Frank'n'fender at the first Roadglue event !!!!! )

I think the biggest problem is knowing where to start, my garage is a big f'n mess, i have yet to make room to get the 914 into the garage (I have come to conclusion that the 911 will have to stay parked outside for a few weeks.

Am I the only one that can just stare at all the work ahead of me and start to get a panic attack thinking it's never, ever going to get finished?

I end up not working on the car (or whatever project that I am staring at) because I get upset or depressed knowing that the time i have to do something, I will not be able to finish completly, so instead I do nothing or so it seems......

I think we need a support group for those of us that want really, really nice 914's, but know that for some reason, the gods have decided that we always be driving a half-ass'd 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

i'm off to the garage to drop a trailing arm on my big toe, the new pain will ease the ache in my heart (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
ArtechnikA
post May 3 2004, 10:05 AM
Post #2

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 3 2004, 07:40 AM)
I think we need a support group for those of us that want really, really nice 914's, but know that for some reason, the gods have decided that we always be driving a half-ass'd 914

the alternative is my approach - just park it for 20+ years.
i think i'd rather be driving ANY 914 than an econobox.

one of the reasons i like my 911 is that it is NOT perfect, and i do not have to obsess about it every time i have to park it some place. i've had show cars, and i just do not need the aggravation right now - i need a fun driver and this car is doing it for me.

(i'd rather it were a 914, but it's not. i'll cope.)
+Quote Post
phantom914
post May 3 2004, 10:15 AM
Post #3

non-914-owner non-club member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,708

Am I the only one that can just stare at all the work ahead of me and start to get a panic attack thinking it's never, ever going to get finished?

I end up not working on the car (or whatever project that I am staring at) because I get upset or depressed knowing that the time i have to do something, I will not be able to finish completly, so instead I do nothing or so it seems......

Herr Mueller,

You are not alone. I have yet to purchase a 914 , partly because I think (know) the same would happen to me. Actually, it already does with all my other projects.

Would it cheer you up if we named this syndrome after you? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Oh well, gotta go. I have another car project to do, need to start up the mill.

Andrew
+Quote Post
Rusty
post May 3 2004, 10:17 AM
Post #4

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 3 2004, 07:40 PM)

Well, I finally realized that for the time being, I'm not going to have a show winning, awe inspiring, "I've-got-to-have-one-of-these" 914's......

//snip//

I think the biggest problem is knowing where to start, my garage is a big f'n mess, i have yet to make room to get the 914 into the garage (I have come to conclusion that the 911 will have to stay parked outside for a few weeks.

I think we need a support group for those of us that want really, really nice 914's, but know that for some reason, the gods have decided that we always be driving a half-ass'd 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Mike,

I know exactly how you feel. I spent lots of effort working on Elwood... the wrench time and paint was all mine, and I was *so* proud. When I got to the MUSR... I looked around. All I could see is beautiful concour cars and then I saw the warts on mine. Places where I had rushed, or not block sanded enough, or just ran out of skill, money or time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

No one said a disparaging word about Elwood, but deep down I felt like my efforts weren't enough. Sure... the gatherings are about the people, but you want to arrive in something you're really proud in. It can be discouraging. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Brother... I understand.

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Levi
post May 3 2004, 10:23 AM
Post #5

Lick my nuts

Member No.: 1,783

I will not be able to finish completly, so instead I do nothing or so it seems......

OH buddy, I can relate to you on this one.....
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post May 3 2004, 10:31 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Mueller,

I know exactly how you feel.

I was unemployed for a time last year and I spent easily 40 hrs a week working on my 914 and a little bit on the other cars... There was never a dull moment... Makes me miss not having a day job. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) Now I can't get squat done.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 3 2004, 11:23 AM
Post #7

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I think it's the rare people who can actually tackle the tasks, one thing at a time, and finish them without getting depressed!!

Why do you think my car sat for four years, pretty much without me touching it?

You've got to figure out some method that works for you. I have ones that used to, but they don't seem to be working for me any more. But I used to be able to concentrate only on what was next, and forget the rest. One thing at a time, and I was actually able to get things done. I'm hoping to be able to regain that focus in the future, so I don't have any more episodes where the thing sits.

Sad to say, the drugs only helped a little. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) The Celexa seemed to help day-to-day stuff, at least enough for me to function, but motivation was still not my middle name. Actually, I think the notion that I was doing something actually helped at least as much as the drugs did. The placebo effect works most marvellously on mental problems.

But my suggestion is: Work out a plan that will get your car in a driveable state. L-jet, Megasquirt, carb'ed, turbo'd, supercharged, naturally aspirated... Whatever!! Decide right now what it will take to get your car running reliable for the WCC. Forget all the other "neat stuff" you want to do--just put it into a mental box labeled "After WCC".

Then make a list of things that absolutely have to occur in order for you to get that done. While making the list, you may need to revise your plan. ("Hmm, I don't think I'll have time CAD up that turbo intake manifold and weld the exhaust both--perhaps I need to fall back to naturally aspirated!")

Copy the first task, with its sub-tasks, from the list onto a piece of paper, all on its own. Hide the list, stick the piece of paper on the wall where you can easily see it. Stare at the paper, look at that first task. Then get to it. Check off each sub-task when you're done, then go to the next one.

Hopefully compartmentalizing things like that will help you get through things, one at a time.

Remember, that's just a suggestion. It's a way that worked for me in the more-distant past.

...Or you could just have the car towed off to someone else, and give them a bunch of $$$ to "make it all right"...

--DD
+Quote Post
SLITS
post May 3 2004, 11:29 AM
Post #8

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696

Rusty and incomplete (yellow) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) cars are faster (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) or take my attitude of I don't give a flying flip if it's pretty or not as long as it runs (unlike some others).
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post May 3 2004, 11:35 AM
Post #9

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

i have the same problems, herr mueller

i like dave's suggestion. just go through it methodically, and don't sweat the small stuff at this point! hell, stick a tired old 1.7 in it, get some scrap parts to finish her off, and enjoy the WCC!

it's okay if you don't have a perfect car. almost NONE of us do! the important thing is just to dig in. do SOMETHING.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
3liter914-6
post May 3 2004, 11:49 AM
Post #10

Master of Clueless Posts

Member No.: 1,238
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 3 2004, 11:40 AM)

Well, I finally realized that for the time being, I'm not going to have a show winning, awe inspiring, "I've-got-to-have-one-of-these" 914's......it ain't going to happen to me anytime soon.

Mike,

Hang in there. I know exactly where you're at. I spent an hour last night sitting in my engine compartment looking at the firewall and just feeling overwhelmed. I still have all this FI wire routing, igntion wires, etc etc to figure out. Plus I have absolutely no rear suspension on the car, and no parking brakes. Just a huge laundry list of things to do and less than a month now until I need to have it on the road. The thing to remember is that we're all in the same boat. We all want to have the nicest 914 at the WCC, but that honor only goes to 1 lucky concours weenie, and even his (or her) car isn't going to be perfect. Lawrence took Elwood to the MUSR and no-one said anything about all these flaws that he saw. Why? Because while Rusty was intimately familiar with every square inch that he lovingly coated, and focused on the blemishes, nobody else even knew they were there. We all have things we're insecure about on our cars, our bodies, whatever, but odds are we make them out to be a lot worse than they really are.

Whether we're posting about it or not, it's pretty obvious we all go through these little bouts of depression with regards to our cars.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post May 3 2004, 12:11 PM
Post #11

neo life

Member No.: 159

Mike,

Take a break and assess what you've been able to accomplish. You've done great. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Wait till you have kids... I couldn't even make my first iHOP breakfast that is only a couple miles from my house! I worked all week to help get the house ready for my daughter's 3 hour Spring Party and still could not break away for an hour breakfast.

I have a one car garage full of boxed "stuff" I am not allowed to get rid of. Much less value than my car but who cares if it rusts away and the sun rots the interior. At least you have the ability and the means for specialized work. I can't find many people who can/will work on my car (install remote oil filter, electric fuel pump, susp. conversion, etc...) I considered myself lucky when Brad was available and I actually had money. I think the stars were in alignment.

Maybe there should be evening meetings so we can work on AA membership. Just kidding! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post May 3 2004, 12:32 PM
Post #12

aircraft surgeon

Member No.: 1,797

I see the car's that Brad and others have built and I so want my car to be perfect with everything shiney and new, but I guess I've got to know when to throw in the towel and face the facts

Hmmmm... an acute case of 'Porsche-Envy' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

I'm a full year before I'll have anything remotely resembling a running 914 (see: DirkWright's Disorder/Disease). DD is absolutely correct in saying that you need to make a written "game plan" to help achieve your 914 goals. When building aircraft, which is "slightly" more complicated than rebuilding a 30 year old 914(definitely cleaner work), we use "planning" (not being a smart-ass, that's the name for the paperwork). It is more or less a written step-by-step procedure to ensure that ALL of the assembly is done, and in the correct order.

So next time your out staring at the car and the enormous amount of stuff to do, grab a notepad, a beer, and a stool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) . Turn that depression-session into something constructive by making your own set of 'planning', it'll help a lot in letting you know where you stand. It's much quicker getting to a place you've never been if you're using a map (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post May 3 2004, 12:42 PM
Post #13

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Mike, I think everyone here would be more impressed and pleased with the fact that you actually had the thing running and there, than it be on the jack stands looking like a future "10". Besides, who the hell cares what we think? And now, In my best Brad voice, If there is a chance that it can be driven to the WCC, then get off your butt and DO IT! If ya need help, yell HELP!!!! you know you'll get it.

Best regards, and best of luck, Curt

Oh, you can always take it back apart after the weekend.
+Quote Post
dinomium
post May 3 2004, 12:49 PM
Post #14

Git on a chair son, all the good stuff is goin over yer head!

Member No.: 74
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

At least you will be going to WCC!:(
I just am happy that we have this site, or I would be even MORE mental! All three of my 14s are in peices. Misery (not driving) does love company and
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
Keep on truckin Mueller!
+Quote Post
Joseph Mills
post May 3 2004, 01:28 PM
Post #15

on a Sonoma diet now...

Member No.: 39

Mike,
I drove my 914 to MUSR last year with the license plate ducktaped to the rear window (which is the way it's been since I put it there after installing the fiberglass bumper over a year ago). No one said a thing. But come to think of it, maybe they were speechless. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I'm sure glad I didn't miss the MUSR over it.

Last month I FINALLY got the plate on the bumper. Who knows how long it will be before I install the plate lights. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

My car is no beauty queen... never will be. But it does keep getting faster and faster.

I guess I don't have any advice for you. Just wanna let you know you're not alone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I also wish I were lucky enough to go to WCC.
+Quote Post
skline
post May 3 2004, 02:05 PM
Post #16

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I have to agree with everyone, if you saw my car you would all say there is no way you can get it done for the WCC. But if I dont try, I will never know. The entire suspension is off the car right now except for the drivers front. I just picked up the radiator and hoses to install, the engine is in pieces but I have most of the parts. Body work is not done so the car will most likely be all in primer for the run. I have just about everything I need to assemble it, time is the only factor at this point. I have to work too so that kind of puts a damper on it. I dont expect to get it all done, but there is no sense in putting it all together just to have to take it back out to weld in chassis kits or something when I have it apart now and its just as easy. I will finish it later but for now, I just want to make it drivable and safe to do so.

I think I can, I think I can..........
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 3 2004, 02:45 PM
Post #17

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

thanks everyone...I guess it's easy to wallow in self pity once in a while (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Like JP mentioned in another post, the Fed-Ex delivery has given me another shot in the ass to get home tonight and crank away and make some serious progress.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

the wife is out of town, so no excuss or reason I cannot burn the midnight oil putting the car back together........keep that coffee pot going and crank up the radio (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post May 3 2004, 02:58 PM
Post #18

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Heh,heh...........
I have Autocross Mondays. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I keep rolling over in my mind where I screwed up....or worse, can't put my finger on any mistakes, but was still too slow.
Getting old don't help. I know I've already "lost a step" (or 10) and it's only gonna get worse, so I'm running outta time.

About 3-4 days before the next event, I start getting pumped again. When that no longer happens, I'm in deep caca.
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post May 3 2004, 04:00 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Hey Mike,

I know just where you're coming form (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Basically, we just lack skills, tools, space, time, or what ever to tackle these things the way we'd like
(and we will take nothing less than perfect)

Even when you start on a small and simple project, you'll always find that it's a lot harder than you expected.
A bolt will break, threads will wear, you're always a $5 dollar part short of completing something, or you just don't have the tools you need, or you're halfway down a project when you realize you're doing it back-assed and/or just ruined a part

Face it, we are amateurs and we want to do stuff even the best pro's would drewl over

I'm not saying we can't do it, but we'll take between 4 to 10 times as long as a pro, no matter how good you can swing a wrench

Hang in there. Because we'll get there eventually and man are we gonna be proud (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
Hi_Fi_Guy
post May 3 2004, 04:02 PM
Post #20

Tuetonic terror

Member No.: 1,019

I completely understand the depression thing. I have owned my 914 for 3 1/2 years and have not driven it yet. The car has been in the restoration shop for a year and a half costing me more than my 2002 Boxster.

I finally got to hear the Raby 2270 fire today.... wow!

Hopefully the car will be finished and ready to drive in time for WCC although it will most likely be running stock 30year old interior as time and $$$ are running out to get the entire car ready. The exterior,chassis, & drivetrain looks brand new.

I got the "April" bill from Patrick Motorsports today so I understand the depression (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) Hopefully it will all be worth it when I get to drive the car.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 09:53 AM