Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> my 914 is causing me to be depressed :(, car is going to be "ugly" for WCC..compr
Mueller
post May 3 2004, 09:40 AM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

So how could such a fun and wonderful car cause depression?????

Well, I finally realized that for the time being, I'm not going to have a show winning, awe inspiring, "I've-got-to-have-one-of-these" 914's......it ain't going to happen to me anytime soon. I see the car's that Brad and others have built and I so want my car to be perfect with everything shiney and new, but I guess I've got to know when to throw in the towel and face the facts that in order to have a 914 that at least runs, I've got to just start putting it together as-is

I had so many plans for doing this and that and I finally came to the conclusion that it's not that big of a deal right now, I've driven bigger pieces of cr@p 914's before (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
(Frank'n'fender at the first Roadglue event !!!!! )

I think the biggest problem is knowing where to start, my garage is a big f'n mess, i have yet to make room to get the 914 into the garage (I have come to conclusion that the 911 will have to stay parked outside for a few weeks.

Am I the only one that can just stare at all the work ahead of me and start to get a panic attack thinking it's never, ever going to get finished?

I end up not working on the car (or whatever project that I am staring at) because I get upset or depressed knowing that the time i have to do something, I will not be able to finish completly, so instead I do nothing or so it seems......

I think we need a support group for those of us that want really, really nice 914's, but know that for some reason, the gods have decided that we always be driving a half-ass'd 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

i'm off to the garage to drop a trailing arm on my big toe, the new pain will ease the ache in my heart (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
Jenny
post May 3 2004, 04:08 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

I'll bet if our SO's paid us hourly to work on our cars, they'd all be done a whole lot quicker. Problem is this isn't our day job (for most of us anyway). It's hard to work all day, then come home and work all night when you don't have a "bossman" looking over your shoulder making sure you finish by the deadline.

Mike, think of this as a business investment. You have to get a running 914 to the WCC for bearing's sake. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) It will pay off in the long run. If my 914 was back together and complete, I'd come help on yours. Not sure how much good I'd do, but there you go! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Jen
+Quote Post
John Kelly
post May 3 2004, 04:37 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 640

Hi Mike,

My gullwing door mid engine flared Ghia can be overwhelming if I think about how much there is to do, so I just get what I can done...wait for the muse to match the time and money and chip away.

I've had a few cars that I fixed up nice with paint and body work that I agonzied over...trying for perfection so nobody could slam it. A waste of time! My car will be funky-eclectic, not shiny, but hopefully of interest. Please myself first is my moto when spending so much time on something. There are always those who will slam your efforts, but rarely do they have a car they have invested the time in. They don't know what kind of compromises you have to make to actually get a car on the road.

If you do the best you can do with the time, energy, money, skill and imagination that you have, fuck them! Wait until you see the pile-o-shite I'll be driving this summer (I hope). It will make you feel good about your car. I've spent thousands of hours on striving for pefect body work...never again. I'm spending my time on shape and function not anal-retentive detail that pleases someone else. My fantasy is to put a car in a show and have a sign seen only from underneath that says "what the fuck are you looking under here for?" Hang in there. Better to be driving a car that is half finished than to never finish.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
+Quote Post
drew365
post May 3 2004, 06:18 PM
Post #23

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

Read the thread about Rich918-S and what he is facing to get his 928 powered car done. That guy is climbing a steep mountain. If that doesn't get you enthused then the project may be more important than the end result. Which would you rather do, tinker or drive? Tinker or drive? Tinker or drive? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post May 3 2004, 06:20 PM
Post #24

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

I dont think any of us ever considered how much this WCC has inspired us to at least make a valiant attempt at completing work on our projects. The Alien has motivated each of us to various levels.

It will be a real privilege to see each of the cars that attends the WCC, especially knowing how much effort each of us has expended in making that the goal.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post May 3 2004, 06:33 PM
Post #25

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Hey, I dropped a valve seat 14 days before the last MUSR. With our head asshole on my butt, I pulled my first 914 motor, had the heads rebuilt, reasembled it and reinstalled it in 8 days and drove it to hot springs 4 days after that. If a dumbass like me can do that, all you guys can do it!!!!!!! I just wish I could go too. Goddamn work!
+Quote Post
DrifterJay
post May 3 2004, 07:06 PM
Post #26

I break stuff...

Member No.: 737

my teener has an engine shelf thats trashed...suspension is sagging....previous motor had never ran farther than 20 miles since I bought it....new 2056 engine had a fucked up head.....after spending 3 months of pay on it.....my car will likely not run longer than 4 hours during the day without a charge....replaced the alternator....no go...I hope a new voltage regulator will work.....well see....also waiting on shop to repair the head....no interior....(got a corbeau seat...lol)...no front trunk floor....no seals...everywhere I look there is something that needs to be repaired...cant open the passenger door...trunk hinges busted....all cables toasted.....battery is bungied in the trunk....I Will Be There.....hell at least the stereo works good....did I mention I work 80 hrs a week outside in the desert....(still nothing like the guys in iraq...)....I have .60 cents in my checking account....payday was last friday...I love my car...shouldnt I be partying and having sex with random women at clubs at the age of 18? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post May 3 2004, 07:15 PM
Post #27

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hell atleast you are going! I can't go due to work so quit your bitchin....I am sure whatever 914 you drive people will say nice things about except maybe Brad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

My cars paint just gets more primer and less orange every year, wtf why is that??

Jeroen, have you gotten any further on your new 914? Now thats a huge project. I heard you are buying a new house with a bigger garage so you can finish the car! Trying to keep up with Karl! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Geoff
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post May 3 2004, 07:29 PM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Done close to nothing since x-mas on the 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Things are looking brighter though...
A client of mine (who has a body repair shop) will take care of the major welding
He has 2 "spare time" projects to finish and than it's my car's turn
It should be done by juli, cause he needs the space then for a project of his own (building a yacht)

His words: "you worry too much, I'll have this fixed in no time" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I kinda feel like a sissy having the work done, but I'm getting real close to the 5 year mark and other than a huge parts collection, I'm basically still at ground zero

Once the major welding is taken care of, I can actually start building.
I'm sure I'll run into some other stuff here and there, but I'm not expecting any big dissapointments

So... I need to drop the engine/tranny and strip the last parts off the car a.s.a.p. to get it ready for transport (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
dralf
post May 3 2004, 07:30 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 1,597

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
Cheer up

I too get down some times as I have started working on my recently bought 1975
2.0 baby. Yesterday I went to see if I could bleed my rear brakes in anticipation of getting all the parts for the front brakes. I want to drive that car soooo bad now that the weather has turned nice, but just my luck the bleader valves are rusted to hell and broke. Even the bolts holding the brakes to the rear arm are frozen...
It will set me back 150 bucks easily and another weekend, but this morning I realized while setting in the Chicage Airport, Wow, I have something to look forward to, something to get both excited about and once finish, I will have a sense of accomplishment. I rarely get that from work any more. THat 914 is a wonderful mistress. It is there waiting for you to bring presents and foreplay !!

So do not dispair,
It is a journey to be enjoyed,

Al
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 3 2004, 08:30 PM
Post #30

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Am I the only one that can just stare at all the work ahead of me and start to get a panic attack thinking it's never, ever going to get finished?

Welcome to my world. If it weren't for Brad pushing me, my car would still be sitting in the garage, crumpled and rusting. When I do get out to the garage, I spend a lot of time looking and less time working. It all makes for very slow progress.

Come on Mike! Just get the damn thing running. You can move on from there with the little stuff. Prioritize from running -> safety -> cosmetic. Don't let me hear that you didn't make WCC in a 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 3 2004, 08:55 PM
Post #31

Mike Ginter

Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Jeroen Posted: May 3 2004 @ 07:29 PM )
I kinda feel like a sissy having the work done, but I'm getting real close to the 5 year mark and other than a huge parts collection, I'm basically still at ground zero

I don't feel a bit bad about it. If I hadn't hauled it off to B and his boyz, it would still be sitting here. For who knows how long... Don't feel bad about that Jeroen. You'll be *really* happy you do it when it's on the road.
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post May 3 2004, 09:02 PM
Post #32

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

QUOTE(DrifterJay @ May 3 2004, 05:06 PM)
...shouldnt I be partying and having sex with random women at clubs at the age of 18?

yes. yes, you should. forget the car for an evening or two.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post May 3 2004, 09:12 PM
Post #33

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Mueller, you can ride shotgun in my teener if you want.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 3 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #34

Resident German

Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

how about this mikey ...

just dropped off anne at the orinda bart station, get back on the freeway (24) through the tunnel.
right after the tunnel the freeway makes kind of a wide left turn sweeper, then a slightly tighter right turn sweeper, then a slightly tighter left turn sweeper.

around 8:30 pm, fairly light traffic so i push the little girl,

- first sweeper 80 mph, like on rails,
- second sweeper, i'm now weaving lanes to get around a bunch of volvo's, 95mph,
- third sweeper, left lane is clear, floor it dude, 110 mph, damm she's feeling good!

and guess what, while you're behind the steering wheel, you can't see the outside anyways, but you sure can see that grin on your face in the mirror ...

moral? don't worry about the looks, drive her!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
dinomium
post May 3 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #35

Git on a chair son, all the good stuff is goin over yer head!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 74

That weekend I am going to sit in my car in the shop and make varooom vrooom sounds and watch Le Mans 20 times! I might have some beers...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Sorry to be missing the Big Show...
+Quote Post
red914
post May 3 2004, 11:15 PM
Post #36

...i believe in coyotes and time as an abstract...

Member No.: 1,641

is there room for company at your theatre, dino? i could bring some refreshments... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
dinomium
post May 3 2004, 11:18 PM
Post #37

Shane, you are ALWAYS welcome! I might have to uprade to the DVD version!
+Quote Post
ablose58
post May 3 2004, 11:24 PM
Post #38

rust never sleeps

Member No.: 1,422

Hey dino, I could come over and we could take turns driving mine around the block and change drivers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Maybe that way we won't feel soo bad either! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) AL
+Quote Post
dinomium
post May 4 2004, 12:12 AM
Post #39

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) We just might have to have our own "Sour Grapes" auto movie afternoon and Hot laps in Al's green machine...
+Quote Post
ablose58
post May 4 2004, 12:16 AM
Post #40

rust never sleeps

Member No.: 1,422

Sounds like fun dino! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Yeah I may be a sour grape for not being able to go to WCC but you know what they say: when life gives you the grapes, smash'em up and make wine! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) AL
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 11:35 PM