Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Autocrossing for Newbies, General Advice
lapuwali
post May 4 2004, 08:38 PM
Post #1

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

I noticed in the "experience" thread that several people have no auto-x experience. I can't go to the WCC this year (prior commitments), and while I've never auto-x'd any 914, nor have I auto-x'd at all in 10 years, I used to do so quite extensively. Some general advice for first timers:

Walk the course, preferably with ONE person who's done this before. If there's a group walk, do that, then do it again.

When walking the course, the chief aim is to figure out which way the course goes. It's amazing how, when you're in the car, strapped in, all spun up, that you can get lost and see nothing but a sea of disconnected cones. When walking, if there's a what looks at all like a tricky bit, squat down and try to view the course from the perspective you'll have sitting in the car. This can help you remember which direction the course goes later.

Experienced people will also look at things like where bumps are, and may even try to map out their entire run mentally before they even start. With enough experience, you can decide where shift and braking points will be. If you really know your car well, you find this successful even the first time out, but for a first-timer, concentrate on figuring out where the course goes.

The first run is essentially to validate the walk. You'll know where the course really goes, where the slow bits are, where the fast bits are. You'll have a basis for discussion with other drivers who've also made their first runs.

I always took it relatively easy on my first run, and then used what I stored up during that run to plan the first real run. The second run, I'l go as fast as I dared, deliberately overdriving the car. This confirmed where all of the slow bits are, and sometimes would let me know where a bit was that was faster than I thought. The third run (and a fourth, if there was one), was to tidy things up and really set a time.

If you've ever wanted to spin your car in front of all your friends, this is the ideal opportunity.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 3)
EdwardBlume
post May 4 2004, 08:43 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I'll post the course here before you see it down.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 4 2004, 09:48 PM
Post #3

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Really? Cool, then I can study.

Are you making the course for the WCC auto x?

Andrew
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post May 4 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #4

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I agree with lapuwali.

I'd like to add that since I began AX I've learned what the car can do on wet & dry pavement, how far to push it and what to do when I've pushed it too hard. The other plus to AXing is it really piques your reactions to whatever happens at that split second. You can use that knowledge while in traffic. I've been able to react faster in emergencies & miss getting in an accident due to AXing.

......b
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 10:06 AM