Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Was Reminded of something last night
Scott S
post Apr 8 2011, 02:37 PM
Post #1

Small Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 633

Based on something I witnessed last night, I feel the need to throw out a big thanks to all of you that continue to support our dumb little cars, and been a part of creating/maintaining an amazing community. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

In light of all of the recent BS, I was reminded last night on how great we all have it in this little “world” – both 914world, and the Porsche world in general. It really brought me back to center. My reminder is coming from watching another marques local chapter literally whither up and die. This sad event is all due to not bringing new people into the fold - or even worse -alienating those who actually are interested in joining up. The 914 group is the exact opposite of this – you offer welcomes and acceptance immediately. You are genuinely happy to receive new members. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) If a member later turns out to be a jerk,so be it - it is dealt with at that time.
In the case of this other club, they are leery of new faces, and the members make sure you know their self perceived prominence/rank within the organization – be that the number of years they have been involved, who they know or what they own. In my 5+ years of membership with this other group, I have sadly watched many good/knowledgeable/fun new members simply disappear due the horrible clique environment. Hell, if it was not for the parts discounts some vendors offer the members, I wouldn’t re-up either. I’ll bet the average age of membership is pushing 70. They are comfortable with the status quo and that is that. When the issue is brought up for discussion, they tentatively agree, but their actions never change. It’s embarrassing – especially if you happen to be the person that suggests to someone that they should join up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I know the overall Porsche group has its share of pinky lifters, check book mechanics – snobs – but we (especially in the 914 group) also have equally as many folks (if not more) that are younger, doing great restos and fantastic modifications that keep this “world” fun - and maybe more importantly – interesting on so many levels.

I should send the other club a thank you for reminding me how good it is around here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

So…..

THANKS!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Apr 8 2011, 02:48 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

I assume you are talking about the Hello Kitty Fan Club, yeah they have gotten really snotty lately...
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Apr 8 2011, 02:57 PM
Post #3

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Ferg @ Apr 8 2011, 01:48 PM) *

I assume you are talking about the Hello Kitty Fan Club, yeah they have gotten really snotty lately...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I agree 100% Scott. This IS a great place and 914 people are generally amazing at helping out when there is a need. Much of what can be experienced here is very rare. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Apr 8 2011, 02:58 PM
Post #4

Small Member

They are such bitches! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
jeff
post Apr 8 2011, 03:11 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,570

70 hrs average? Is it a club for those motor driven chairs? I've been thinking of joining the new club DAMM (drunks against MADD mothers) anyone here part of that?
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Apr 8 2011, 03:16 PM
Post #6

Small Member

I just re-read my post and thought the combination of stating the average age of the other organization with the statement that we have some younger folks could come across wrong.

I did not intend that to mean younger is better. I meant that these great projects being done by a younger crowd will most likely give exposure to another younger generation, that otherwise would not be all that interested in what may be perceived as just a 70's era wanna-be Porsche. Gotta keep passing the torch.

Sorry about that...
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 8 2011, 04:32 PM
Post #7

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Yeah! Where ya think all you youngsters get your knowledge from? From us old farts. That's where!!!! Same place I learned most of mine from. Lol!
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 10 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #8

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

I grew up with old VW's, then on to 356's, 912's and 911's, but didn't quite fit in with the Wine & Cheese crowd.

I've had tons more fun with and received more hands-on help from 914 folks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Apr 10 2011, 09:53 PM
Post #9

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I completely agree scott! I immediately felt welcomed by all the colorado guys from the first. I'll never forget that ride in the D-Type!
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Apr 11 2011, 12:42 PM
Post #10

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

....Cool piece,it's good to get grounded!Knowlege just get's handed down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 02:03 AM