Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> drilling my own rer hubs?
blaize
post May 6 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,866

In the middle of a 5 lug conv. all the prices I have seen are around 300 for redrilled rear hubs and thats plus core. so I started thinking and a drill press is only 200. Ques. is has anyone ever tried this? I presume all one needs is alot of time on setup and it cant be that tough.

Thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MattR
post May 6 2004, 11:28 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

Im doing the same thing, and Fat performance in Orange, CA is significantly cheaper. I think they charge 40 bucks a hub minus studs.

www.fatperformance.com
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 6 2004, 11:29 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

I havent done it, but my concern would be: how you are going to hold the hub while drilling. Most people use a Bridgeport mill with a monster holding table and some kind of tool steel fixture. If you get it wrong.. you will eat wheel bearings and lose fillings... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

B
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 6 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

accuracy will suffer unless you have a proper fixture with the new bolt pattern and hardened drill guides/bushings

i wouldn't recommend it at all since the rear hubs are not hubcentric and the wheel relies on the studs for it's location. if you are off too much, major wheel balancing problems will happen, that is if you can get the wheel mounted onto the studs if too far off or if the studs are not perp. with the hub surface

the spot drilling on the far side can be done with a drill press as long as you can safely hold the part.
+Quote Post
airsix
post May 7 2004, 12:22 AM
Post #5

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE(blaize @ May 6 2004, 09:08 PM)
all the prices I have seen are around 300 for redrilled rear hubs and thats plus core.

Wow. Have prices gone up that much? Rich Johnson did mine for $180 including studs. (2 yrs ago)

I would not dare try this without a large mill and a rotary table. I'm afraid that trying this job with even a top-quality drill press will just result in a pair of really ugly paper-weights.

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 7 2004, 12:32 AM
Post #6

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I wouldnt do that to my car.. and if I did, I would kick myself every day for trying to be cheap.

Dont do it yourself, its just one of those things you just dont do yourself.. ( like Knife edgeing the crank. or regrinding the cams...)

Get someone else to do it who knows what their doing and has done it before.

Andrew
+Quote Post
MattR
post May 7 2004, 01:59 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589

And, you have to wonder how good a 200 dollar drill press is. If I had a 10,000 dollar bridgeport sitting in my garage ("if"), I would only start to consider it, but without quality machinery and the knowledge to do it, you are bound for disaster.
+Quote Post
thesey914
post May 7 2004, 02:58 AM
Post #8

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 66

I just took mine to a local engineer. Doesn't need to be someone who works with cars for that matter. It a very straight forward job for any machine shop. Should be inexpensive. Re-drilling, spot facing and pressing in the new studs was about 70 quid , maybe $100 back then.
Hard bit will be getting the buggers off the trailing arm.

I have to salute the "have a go" attitude though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
RON S.
post May 7 2004, 09:12 AM
Post #9

9140430841, FINALLY RUNNING

Member No.: 724
Region Association: South East States

I did a set on my six a few years back.
What I did was draw up a Round drill template on AutoCad. Od was same od as rotor,Id was same size as hub,so it would slip over nicely.
I eyeballed the template to tranfer punch the holes between the vanes in the rotors.
Removed the template,laid the rotor flat on the drill press,and drilled right thru.
When done I chamfered all holes top & bottom to try to minimize cracking.
With the drill template.2 rotros took less than 30 minutes,start to finish to do.
Also,the material that rotors are made of is very soft,there no need to lock the rotor down while drilling.I held it by hand.
Ron

Attached File(s)
Attached File  FRTRTEMP.dwg ( 24.68k ) Number of downloads: 41
+Quote Post
RON S.
post May 7 2004, 09:20 AM
Post #10

forgot to mention.
The templates were lasered out.
Ron
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 7 2004, 09:36 AM
Post #11

914 Freak!

forgot to mention.
The templates were lasered out.

minor detail eh??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

FAT used to use an old 5 lug Fuch for thier template, the hard part with that is centering the wheel to the hub.

If I had a 10,000 dollar bridgeport sitting in my garage ("if")

i do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif), ok, it didn't cost that much, it was only $1200 for an older NC Bridgeport.....converting to be able to use only 1 phase is turning out to be more expensive than I orginally planned (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
phantom914
post May 7 2004, 09:42 AM
Post #12

non-914-owner non-club member

Member No.: 1,708

converting to be able to use only 1 phase is turning out to be more expensive than I orginally planned

Mueller,

Why? Won't the static converters work for you? The motor loses some power, but I doubt it would ever matter.

Andrew
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 7 2004, 09:49 AM
Post #13

914 Freak!

for the main motor, I bought a VFD (varible freq. drive, this takes in 220v 1 ph and outputs 3 phase) and for the stepper motors, I'm going to re-wire the transformers to run off of 220 single phase...not a big fan of static converters, or at least not for a CNC machine
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 7 2004, 09:53 AM
Post #14

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

QUOTE(RON S. @ May 7 2004, 07:12 AM)
I eyeballed the template to tranfer punch the holes between the vanes in the rotors.

Sounds like you're talking about cross-drilling the rotor surfaces. The original post is about drilling the five-lug pattern in the hub.

Are you sure that the $300 is only for the hubs? Does it include studs and wheel bearings as well? I seem to remember one of our competitors in San Luis Obispo selling a kit for $3-something, but it included much more than just the hubs.

--DD
+Quote Post
phantom914
post May 7 2004, 09:56 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 7 2004, 07:49 AM)
for the main motor, I bought a VFD (varible freq. drive, this takes in 220v 1 ph and outputs 3 phase) and for the stepper motors, I'm going to re-wire the transformers to run off of 220 single phase...not a big fan of static converters, or at least not for a CNC machine

Oh. I don't have CNC. If you already have a converter, why do you need to rewire the stepper motors for single phase?

And how is the VFD different than the 1 phase motor/ 3phase generator setups (forget what they are called) , or rather how is it better?

Andrew
+Quote Post
RON S.
post May 7 2004, 11:30 AM
Post #16

Dave,
You are right,
I misread the post.
My Bad.
Ron
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post May 7 2004, 12:26 PM
Post #17

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Send them to me. I'll do them for $80.00 plus $2.00 per stud if you want them studded. That's a "Ben" Plus Shipping.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 7 2004, 01:12 PM
Post #18

914 Freak!

thats a good price...you should jump on it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Andrew,

The VFD, is an inverter, it mimics the 3 different legs, what is nice is the controller can change the frequency, so instead of 60hz, I can slow down or speed up the motor with just a few clicks of a button

the VFD cannot be used on transformers, it is only for motors. The static converters cheat by using resitors and caps, but they are really not a true 3phase. Rotary converters are basicly a 3phase motor that is turned into a generator to supply the 3phase, these work really well, but can get expensive and they suck up more electricity.
+Quote Post
phantom914
post May 7 2004, 03:51 PM
Post #19

Mueller,

Cool. Did you not have a variable speed head on your mill, or did you just want to be really cool? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) How much do VFD's run?

Andrew
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 7 2004, 05:16 PM
Post #20

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I did my fronts on a bench top drill press. I used my wheel spacers for a templet. I did the rears on the car. Used the spacer as a templet. I used one of the factory 4 hole bolts to align spacer, and the pin that slides out of the end of my digital caliper to check the spacer (which was machine cut) alignment to the rotor all around. I have a round table on the drill press. I could easily spin the table and drop the bit into the next hole without moving the drill head. Worked for me. I had to bring the fronts to a machine shop to spot face the back side of the fronts. the web was in the way on the head on the lug stud.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 06:44 AM