Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Leaner can mean cooler running, mixture experiments
mightyohm
post May 10 2004, 10:40 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(DNHunt @ May 10 2004, 06:11 AM)

When trying to tune to leaner running conditions and very light load the duty cycles of the injectors are so short tuning becomes impossible. A/F ratios would bounce between 13 and 17 and the car would buck slightly. Say good bye to lean cruise.

Dave,

You're not running a flyback board, correct? Do you think it would help with the short injector pulsewidths?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post May 10 2004, 10:55 AM
Post #22

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Group: Members
Member No.: 598

Jeff

I'm not running a flyback board, I'm running a resistor pack and a High resolution code that allows 10X more resolution in tuning times. That helped helped some but the really is that short duty cycles are very hard to tune.

Dave
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post May 10 2004, 11:55 AM
Post #23

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Injectors are mechanical devices, after all, and they don't have super quick opening and closing times (on the order of 1-2ms for each, so minimum useful pulsewidth is roughly 4ms). You could help yourself out by just raising the fuel pressure some, and lowering all of the pulsewidths to compensate. That may be enough to gain some headroom in the idle range. What fuel pressure are you running now?

I've heard a rule of thumb that states that 20%-80% is the range of duty cycle that allows reasonable control. However, that's also an old rule of thumb, and injectors have changed some in the past 20 years.
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post May 10 2004, 01:56 PM
Post #24

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

I hope I didn't mislead anyone. I'm perfectly happy with the way my car runs. It wants to run a lttle richer than I thought I could achieve at light load. So, I use a little extra fuel. It drives real well.

The point I was trying to make was I assumed I could get the engine to run leaner than stock because I could control the injectors better than the D-jet system. Not so, the limiting factor was the injectors. Possibly the engine would run leaner and stay cool but I couldn't do it.

I suppose that more tuning (changing the fuel pressure and injector pulse widths or changing injectors) could have helped but, I was satisfied so I stopped and have driven it for over a year.

Dave
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 10 2004, 04:47 PM
Post #25

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(TimT @ May 9 2004, 04:54 PM)
....I hope your car has full ignition advance at 55mph...

Most 914s aren't, unless you've got non-stock gearing, a non-stock distributor, or tiny little tires. 55 MPH is about 2800 RPM. That's 200 RPM below the point where max centrifugal advance is reached in most 914 distributors.

--DD
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 07:38 PM