Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Short Shifters, Rennshift or Much Cheaper Weltmeister
mwyatt
post May 10 2004, 01:11 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 516
Region Association: Southern California

I installed the Weltmeister in my side shifter last year and it does exactly what it says it does - makes the shift throws about 20-30% shorter. It will not make your car shift any better or worse. And yes, the shift lever is also shorter and your hand doesn't fall onto it quite as easily. I had to adjust the linkage a little bit when I first installed it - but now that I am used to it I find that it works well.

For those fortunate enough to have the Rennshift - other than making the shift throws a little shorter, does the device make any other appreciable difference (excluding appearance)?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post May 10 2004, 01:30 PM
Post #22

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mwyatt @ May 10 2004, 11:11 AM)
does the device make any other appreciable difference (excluding appearance)?

IMO - yes, Bigtime -- especially with the reverse lockout.

the spring centering makes traffic shifting completely intuitive. to shift from first to second, just move the lever up - the spring takes the lever right into the 2/3 plane. to upshift into 3rd, just pull the lever back. you do have to press against the spring to get up into 4th - but you adapt in a flash.

downshifting to 3rd, you just pull back and let the spring find 3rd for you.

there is no slop - the ball joint pivot in the shifter is tight. i haven't tagged reverse coming up out of 1st since i installed the product, and now that i've retrofitted the lockout, i know i won't be going there accidentally under stress. (you can, however, still shift from reverse to first if you need to - rocking out of a hole, for instance.

crisp, precise shifting is a big part of the overall sports-car driving experience for me, and this product makes it happen. it is not a pill cure for sloppy mechanisms and floppy driveline mounts; you have to fix those first if they're worn.
+Quote Post
seanery
post May 10 2004, 01:43 PM
Post #23

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

Rich is right, it's nice. I haven't heard any negative on James' shifter from someone with it properly adjusted.
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post May 10 2004, 02:17 PM
Post #24

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(airsix @ May 10 2004, 09:58 AM)

ps - jporsche914 - I snort a laugh every time I see your "homo" avatar. That cracks me up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I did that too... ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) snort! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) )

.....b
+Quote Post
4WheelDrifter
post May 10 2004, 04:43 PM
Post #25

Having a mid-life crisis @ 35

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,934

QUOTE(airsix @ May 9 2004, 09:17 PM)
The condition of your motor/tranny mounts will also affect your shifting to a large degree. If you have old worn mounts replace them with 911 sport mounts. New tranny mounts improved my shifting more than new shift bushings did.

-Ben M.

Ben, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) PO replaced all the bushings before I bought my 914 and I just replaced the totally shot motor mounts in my car and it shifts pretty good though throw is still long. Not nicking reverse going to 2nd anymore.

I'd like the Rennshift when I have the $.
+Quote Post
jporsche914
post May 10 2004, 07:48 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 1,769

Thanks alot guys. I guess i will be saving my money for the Rennshift. In the mean time replace the bushings.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 01:55 AM