Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> @#*$@# Inconsistent Idle
jdogg
post May 10 2004, 03:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 204

Ok, dammit. I have fixed all vacuum leaks (had to weld up the intake plenum), adjusted the ECU to factory setting, adjusted the valves, timed it, tweaked the air bleed, and the damn thing still idles inconsistent as hell. (2.0 Djet)

I have removed the decel valve, AAR valve and the cold start valve. Pertronix ignitor, timed to 27 degrees BTDC.

At start up, it purrs nicely after about 30 seconds at 1000 rpm.

After driving, any one of 3 things will happen, with no consistency:

1- idle will return to 1000 fine, or

2- idle will return to 1000, then steadily slow and will die if I don't stab the gas, or

3- idle will race up to about 1700 and will not come back down

What the hell is going on? The only thing I can even remotely think of is a worn throttle shaft that may allow some air in when it is in a certain position. But that would seem to me to be maybe a little more consistent?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 3)
Brad Roberts
post May 10 2004, 03:58 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

The throttle body could totally be sticking. You damn near described it too a tee. This is pretty easy to check. You can normally see one set "line" of junk that the plate stops on. See if you can see yet another line above or below the first one you see. I have 2-3 customer cars doing this right now. They live with it because it is nowhere near as bad as you have described.

B
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post May 10 2004, 04:36 PM
Post #3

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 10 2004, 02:58 PM)
You can normally see one set "line" of junk that the plate stops on. See if you can see yet another line above or below the first one you see.

You're talking, "litterally", a build up of stuff like corrosion & gunK? Can this be sanded off or will it create a larger bore big enough to allow air to bypass the plate? My throttle body was so bad it was stuck closed. Had to PB Blast it & scrape the inside to free it up. I then sanded it smooth. Did I create a bad thing? I figured on looking for another body in better condition. I've heard of boring the bodies. If this is done a larger plate would need to be installed, right?

......b
+Quote Post
jdogg
post May 10 2004, 06:44 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 204

Brad- When I had the TB off, I did notice some build up of black residue under below where the plate would be at closed throttle position. I sprayed it with some carb clean, some came off, but more stayed.....hmm, I'll pull it back off and clean it up good and see if that helps.....
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 06:22 AM