Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fire extinguisher, Often seen mounted inside teeners
rohar
post May 13 2011, 09:19 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,685
Region Association: None

After comming up on a friend of mine parked on a straw bail outside turn 3 at SCR in a Viper, he was pretty happy I had a hand held.

So was his wife. Damned exhaust systems get hot on those things.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 14 2011, 07:48 AM
Post #22

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I am pretty sure I am going to have an on-board extinguishing system installed in my car during the build. I will try to make it as low profile invisible as possible.

I have nightmares of that picture of the nice yellow six in flames.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post May 14 2011, 08:15 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have Halon extinguishers in all my cars, but I'd also consider the foam type extinguishers as they will smother the fire and help cool down the area to prevent reigniting of the fire. My extinguisher did help save a friend's 914-6 years ago when it got a carb fire coming off the track, so I always carry one as insurance.

As halon is getting more hassles from the EPA, the foam may be the way to go. I got mine from an outfit called Fire Fight. They are popular with the RV set, and are on the internet (http://www.firefight1.com/). Some of their products are automatically activated when a fire is detected, and would be nice to have mounted in the engine compartment. I mounted some of there products in the engine compartment, by the generator, and in back of the fridge in my GMC RV, and feel safer as fires are a problem in RVs as well.
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post May 14 2011, 07:58 PM
Post #24

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

I had a 3 year old extinguisher just fart a few little clouds of dust on me when I needed it for a garage fire. Had to go for the garden hose. Don't assume your fire extinguisher will actually work...

I squeezed the metal handle so hard when it did not work that I bent it all to sh*t.

Not sure what the gauge was reading when I tried to use it, but I wish I had checked it now and then.

Went out and bought new ones that day, and spent some money on good ones. Get one for your garage, kitchen and bedrooms while you are at it. Its a lot cheaper and easier to clean up than a raging fire no matter what type you get.

People who build and sell cheap sh*t fire extinguishers should be issued one of their products when they get to hell.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

John
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 10:08 AM