Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> firewall shift bushing, did I ruin one?
tat2dphreak
post May 11 2004, 08:51 AM
Post #1

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

when recently putting my new engine and side-shifter into my '72:

I pulled the old(tail-shifter) linkage out, ( I thought I got all of it anyway...)
I used a "press" (long bolt/nut with very large washers) to put the firewall bushing in... only to realize I had to pull the bushing off again because I left a rod in the tunnel (doh!) it came out easy and went back easy... then I went to put the side-shift linkage together... only to realize I had to pull this bushing AGAIN to put the front shift rod in... I also noticed that the shift rod fit the bushing very tight! I know I am using the right bushing (one made to put a side-shifter into a pre-'73 car) but I'm afraid that by pulling the bushing and putting it in too many times, I've damaged it... do I need another one before I put the linkage in?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 11 2004, 12:01 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

You get a lot more leverage to move the shift rod when you use the gear shift lever. As long as it isn't really sticking in the bushing, and as long as it doesn't pop out of the firewall hole, you should be fine.

You did look at the bushing before you re-installed it each time, yes? Just a quick glance to make sure you didn't break some part off of it?

--DD
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post May 11 2004, 12:11 PM
Post #3

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 11 2004, 12:01 PM)
You get a lot more leverage to move the shift rod when you use the gear shift lever. As long as it isn't really sticking in the bushing, and as long as it doesn't pop out of the firewall hole, you should be fine.

You did look at the bushing before you re-installed it each time, yes? Just a quick glance to make sure you didn't break some part off of it?

--DD

yes, it looked ok, but was seemed tight on the rod, and much looser on the firewall...

thanks, I'll keep a watch on it for sticking and popping off... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 07:27 PM