Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Credit card safety for online purchases, cool service...
ss6
post May 16 2004, 10:08 AM
Post #1

fun city...

Group: Members
Member No.: 221

FYI - Maybe you guys already know about this, but I just discovered a very useful service for those of us who shop online and thought I'd pass it on to you.

MBNA, among others, has a service that will produce a one-time credit card number (linked to your actual credit card) that you can submit for on-line purchases. The value is that your actual credit card number stays private and doesn't wind up a sitting duck thanks to a vendor's un-secured customer database (or a larcenous vendor, etc, etc.). The one-time number is a valid credit card number, so vendors don't need any special software, etc, etc. You can download an app that generates the number(s) locally.

I had to close an account just recently due to international fraud just after a domestic on-line 914 related purchase; wish I knew about this last month.

Here's the New York Times article that hooked me up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/16/business...ney/16cred.html

Here's MBNA's ShopSafe site:
http://www.mbnashopsafe.com

Chances are your card is issued by MBNA (or one of the other biggies mentioned in the article), even if it is logo'd under your local bank's name.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
ss6   Credit card safety for online purchases   May 16 2004, 10:08 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 10:01 AM