Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CW question Sound pad installation
rick 918-S
post Apr 24 2011, 07:57 AM
Post #1

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I asked this over on the Originality and History forum but no one was over there this morning. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yawn.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif)

I have a 1973 with the sound pad on the bulkhead. There are tabs at the top that bend over the pad to secure the top edge of the pad below the window.

Q) Do the metal tabs get the black plastic covering or are the left painted metal?

User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 24 2011, 08:00 AM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

all I have seen is just painted metal that cuts your fingers really nicely.
Only seen the plastic covers when it matters....on that piece (inside and out) it was just painted metal on all the ones I have ripped out and thrown away (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Just the fact that you are in the Originality and Concours forum raises alot of concern....
Rich
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 24 2011, 08:02 AM
Post #3

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 24 2011, 09:00 AM) *

it was just painted metal on all the ones I have ripped out and thrown away (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Just the fact that you are in the Originality and Concours forum raises alot of concern....
Rich

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) Good morning Rich. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif) I'll post pics later. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 24 2011, 08:10 AM
Post #4

Custom Member

finally warm enough to go work on mine and while it will never pass judgement at a real Porsche car show, as I get older, I am more motivated to make more of a show car versus a fast car that is not perfect.

I get it...both growing.

You know what I want to see more pics of.. (from one closet artist to another) is that shingle job you did on the side of the shop...

Rich
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 24 2011, 08:15 AM
Post #5

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 24 2011, 09:10 AM) *

finally warm enough to go work on mine and while it will never pass judgement at a real Porsche car show, as I get older, I am more motivated to make more of a show car versus a fast car that is not perfect.

I get it...both growing.

You know what I want to see more pics of.. (from one closet artist to another) is that shingle job you did on the side of the shop...

Rich

I'll send you some photos via email. Back on topic, I painted the engine bay in the Ravenna car. Getting ready for the engine soon.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 24 2011, 08:17 AM
Post #6

Custom Member

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 24 2011, 08:35 AM
Post #7

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Rick, the original ones on my early 73 2L had one with the plastic cover still on, & the rest I suspect came off over time with age/cracking of the plastic & pulling the pad. All the tabs on the bottom that hold the harness still have the plastic covers. So AFAIK the top tabs did too.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Just getting to these posts after traveling Sat. & I'm on the road in Sallisaw OK & on severe T-storm watch in the motel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) , & I'm still on CA time! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 24 2011, 08:38 AM
Post #8

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 24 2011, 07:35 AM) *

Rick, the original ones on my early 73 2L had one with the plastic cover still on, & the rest I suspect came off over time with age/cracking of the plastic & pulling the pad. All the tabs on the bottom that hold the harness still have the plastic covers. So AFAIK the top tabs did too.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Just getting to these posts after traveling Sat. & I'm on the road in Sallisaw OK & on severe T-storm watch in the motel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) , & I'm still on CA time! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)

PS - Pat G in O&H probably can't answer that one, since his 72 & all 70-72 MYs had no pads! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Apr 24 2011, 08:47 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I painted them on the creamsickle and the paint cracked when I bent them back and forth to get the pad back in.
+Quote Post
MDG
post Apr 24 2011, 08:53 AM
Post #10

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018
Region Association: None

On my '73 I have three of the pad clips that still have the black covers on them so I assume at one point they all did.

+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 24 2011, 09:41 AM
Post #11

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(MDG @ Apr 24 2011, 09:53 AM) *

On my '73 I have three of the pad clips that still have the black covers on them so I assume at one point they all did.

Thanks guys, I think this is the answer I was looking for. I'm going to cover them. Those basterds are sharp. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
MDG
post Apr 24 2011, 09:54 AM
Post #12

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

I'd also replace the pad as well if you weren't already doing so, Rick.

Those old pads are a freakin' ton and act like a sponge. There are ones out there that look very close to original, weigh less and are of modern construction - you can get ones foil backed with kind of like dynamat on one side and the traditional look black facing out.
+Quote Post
tod914
post Apr 25 2011, 08:50 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

On my 73, they are body color, but the outer facing surface is painted satin black. I would think they came that way from the factory being there is no indication they were ever undone. My 74, the tabs were also black, but I can't recall if they had plastic or not covering them (cant tell by one picture I have, too blury). Johnny's white car in the Orginality Engine section, also look like they are painted black.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
MDG
post Apr 25 2011, 09:01 AM
Post #14

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

I wondered about that too. Like I said my '73 has a few with the cover but I don't know if that means they came that way and the others were lost or someone stuck them on. The ones that don't have the covers have the outer part of the tab painted black like Tod's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
tod914
post Apr 25 2011, 09:11 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Mike the only plastic sheaths I recall seeing on my past 914's were for the electrical harness'. Not to say the backpad didn't come with them, and were removed at some point in time.
+Quote Post
tod914
post Apr 26 2011, 12:45 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Mike the only one I noticed that is all body color, is the one by the battery tray. Maybe that one had a cover? Rick, they look like they are painted with a brush as opposed to spray, if that's of any help for your restoration.
+Quote Post
MDG
post Apr 26 2011, 06:35 AM
Post #17

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

QUOTE(tod914 @ Apr 26 2011, 02:45 AM) *

Mike the only one I noticed that is all body color, is the one by the battery tray. Maybe that one had a cover? Rick, they look like they are painted with a brush as opposed to spray, if that's of any help for your restoration.

Yes, just checked and mine are the same as described above. And yes on the painted by hand look.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 26 2011, 07:01 AM
Post #18

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(MDG @ Apr 26 2011, 07:35 AM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ Apr 26 2011, 02:45 AM) *

Yes, just checked and mine are the same as described above. And yes on the painted by hand look.

That's wierd. Mine were not painted and did not have a plastic covering. So hand painted sounds like the correct answer if your were black. I may cover them anyway. It's safer.
+Quote Post
MDG
post Apr 26 2011, 07:41 AM
Post #19

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 26 2011, 09:01 AM) *

I may cover them anyway. It's safer.

When it comes time to put the pad in my '73 I will too. I don't really care if it's original or not and this is a better idea. As well as saving a potential finger slice it will help prevent the tab from cutting into the pad.

I took off the three covers that are on my tabs to check and they are painted black underneath as well.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:33 PM