Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cascade Lakes, Hill Climb
Randal
post Jun 14 2011, 09:24 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 750

QUOTE(jjackson @ Jun 14 2011, 05:02 AM) *

QUOTE(BKLA @ Jun 14 2011, 12:27 AM) *

OT - is your ginther screen from patrick MS? Could you post a pic of the fit at your front bar?

Great shots of the event BTW! Are you coming back up for the Oakridge hill climb?

Randal,pix of the car look great.That sure does look like a fun event.Did you beat the mini? JJackson

That was a great event. Fun people and cars.

I ended up with a 1:593 and he was at 2:01 and change. Think I was a couple of seconds below the 2008-2010 record for the class, we'll see when the results come out.

There is a bunch of time left on the hill for 222, but only to be executed with solid course knowledge and perfect lines. As usual you make up time by carrying the speed out of one corner to the next. For example 222's speed running up to the first set of cones, following the scary twisty bits, was 10mph higher on my low run. The big hp boys were over 90 mph at the speed trap, I was 86 mph and I could have gone faster.

Speaking of off in a flash - on my 2:00 minute run on Saturday I had a total brain fade on turn 11. The brain fade came after making a perfect run up to turn 10 (4th gear), braking at the 3 marker, getting the downshit, which I had missed earlier, and making the corner. And this is a really fast corner. I was so happy about getting all the bits right I forgot about turn 11 (a left) and just early apexed. Well in the next second here I am rushing towards an off - and saying bad words. To make a long story short it's fairly steep there and somehow the car came back. Pretty exciting, but definitely a lesson.

PS... I've never had the car in 4th gear before, but can report it just keeps pulling. I just love this motor, especially now that I have a few more few more revolutions to use. I was shifting at 6500.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jun 14 2011, 10:46 AM
Post #22

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

Do we have another 914 winning its class? Not too shaby for nearly 40 year old cars.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jun 14 2011, 11:52 AM
Post #23

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 14 2011, 09:46 AM) *

Do we have another 914 winning its class? Not too shaby for nearly 40 year old cars.

LOL! Just make sure you show up to a 2 car class with another 40 year old car has a motor 500 cc's less than you!

Hey can you guys remind me when a 914 won the last national championship SCCA autocross or road race event? ....excluding vintage races. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jun 14 2011, 03:55 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE(BKLA @ Jun 13 2011, 10:27 PM) *

OT - is your ginther screen from patrick MS? Could you post a pic of the fit at your front bar?

Great shots of the event BTW! Are you coming back up for the Oakridge hill climb?

Got the Ginther screen from High Performance House in Redwood City.

Not sure if I can come to Oakridge or not. Where exactly is Oakridge?
+Quote Post
BKLA
post Jun 14 2011, 06:08 PM
Post #25

Really old member

Member No.: 4,590
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 14 2011, 02:55 PM) *

Oakridge is SE of Eugene, about 100 miles north of Medford. I believe it's called the lairison rock hillclimb. It's on the where2race lists, I believe on July 2/3 weekend. It was on my list this year...

I'll give Rich a call at HPH on the screen! Thanks!!!
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jun 14 2011, 06:15 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE(BKLA @ Jun 14 2011, 05:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 14 2011, 02:55 PM) *

Oakridge is SE of Eugene, about 100 miles north of Medford. I believe it's called the lairison rock hillclimb. It's on the where2race lists, I believe on July 2/3 weekend. It was on my list this year...

I'll give Rich a call at HPH on the screen! Thanks!!!

The travel budget will be about all in after two trips to Oregon in two weeks and I was planning to run with AAS on July 4th weekend.

I do want to run Larson Rock near Eugene. This is one tough hill climb, from what everyone was saying at Cascade Lakes.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jun 14 2011, 09:11 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

The two guys from Canada just posted a great video of Cascade Lakes.

Finally a HD video that really shows the road.

Very technical course, as you'll see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcgOwkv66o
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jun 15 2011, 09:06 PM
Post #28

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 13 2011, 12:44 PM) *

Dave has a new car that he built over the winter, which winter I'm not sure. But it's a Lotus 7 clone, but wider and slightly longer. Looks from the back more like an opened wheel Sprint Car. Opened wheeled.

The frame is pretty beefy so the overall weight is around 1900lbs. He is running a LS something with somewhere north of 450hp.

He got the plans for the lotus frame off the web somewhere.

Very impressive car and crazy fast with handling.

Not sure whether Dave is comfortable in the car yet...

Sonny has built a new car, with lots of stuff from his old car. It's a Cobra clone that weighs in about 2,300lbs. The motor is a 427 small block putting out some serious big hp.

Both Dave and Sonny had Randy from Grants Pass do substantial aluminum components (flares / front ends / panels), so both cars are pretty trick.

FYI Sonny got in front of Bill Cooper on Sunday by a bit more than a second. Cooper said he didn't have any more left on the hill so Sonny got the King of the Hill award. This was a big event for Sonny as Copper has got him on a bunch of hills.

The big fast boys are in a class all by themselves. They could take a nap after finishing before the rest of us got to the top.

Nothing like experience and a really fast fast car.

Those guys are true gear heads! Sonny was trying to get me to buy his Vette at Hoopa. I love Sonny's driving style he is a maniac! He was the guy complaining about Ashland and stupid slaloms! What kind of times did they set?

+Quote Post
Randal
post Jun 16 2011, 09:51 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

It is such a shame that the HD video cameras don't record good sound. That is all that is missing from the Mustang run.

The Brown Brothers (sponsor?) Mustang has over 600 rwhp.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jul 11 2011, 10:46 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE(jjackson @ Jun 14 2011, 05:02 AM) *

QUOTE(BKLA @ Jun 14 2011, 12:27 AM) *

Randal,pix of the car look great.That sure does look like a fun event.Did you beat the mini? JJackson

Here are the results:

http://www.nhahillclimb.org/2011Results.html

222 did get past the Mini.

Next year he's going to put in the bigger motor. He has 2.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jul 12 2011, 08:39 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jun 15 2011, 08:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 13 2011, 12:44 PM) *

Dave has a new car that he built over the winter, which winter I'm not sure. But it's a Lotus 7 clone, but wider and slightly longer. Looks from the back more like an opened wheel Sprint Car. Opened wheeled.

The frame is pretty beefy so the overall weight is around 1900lbs. He is running a LS something with somewhere north of 450hp.

He got the plans for the lotus frame off the web somewhere.

Very impressive car and crazy fast with handling.

Not sure whether Dave is comfortable in the car yet...

Sonny has built a new car, with lots of stuff from his old car. It's a Cobra clone that weighs in about 2,300lbs. The motor is a 427 small block putting out some serious big hp.

Both Dave and Sonny had Randy from Grants Pass do substantial aluminum components (flares / front ends / panels), so both cars are pretty trick.

FYI Sonny got in front of Bill Cooper on Sunday by a bit more than a second. Cooper said he didn't have any more left on the hill so Sonny got the King of the Hill award. This was a big event for Sonny as Copper has got him on a bunch of hills.

The big fast boys are in a class all by themselves. They could take a nap after finishing before the rest of us got to the top.

Nothing like experience and a really fast fast car.

Those guys are true gear heads! Sonny was trying to get me to buy his Vette at Hoopa. I love Sonny's driving style he is a maniac! He was the guy complaining about Ashland and stupid slaloms! What kind of times did they set?

The slaloms before 4 and 12: Yea, it would be interesting without them. My guess is that 222 would be going well over a ton and Sonny probably 30-40mph past that.

If you had a failure going into 4 be sure to bring a putty knife to scrape your car off the mountain.

Removing the slaloms before turn 12 wouldn't be as bad, but if you went off at 12 they'd need a dog team to find you in the forest.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 03:08 PM