Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> To cam or not to cam.., What are the specifics?
moparrob
post Apr 26 2011, 07:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,663
Region Association: None

My engine is a stock (big port) '78 SC 3.0 from which I have removed the CIS injection. I have purchased some Weber 40's with 36mm venturis and manifolds that have been ported to match. I'll also be running some 1 5/8 headers (I know, they may be a tad big...)

I have been getting a lot of flack from a buddy for not re-camming the engine while it is a long block and out of the car. He claims I am leaving around 30 hp on the table by not stepping up now and doing it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i954.photobucket.com-11663-1303867828.1.jpg)

The car, at this point, will be strictly street driven but I would like to maximize torque and street/canyon potential. I have never driven a 914-6 before, so I really don't know what to expect if I don't cam it.

So two questions arise. Which would be a good cam grind and how much should I expect it to cost?

I see Porsche has some stock grinds, and others (like Elgin) grind cams to various specs. What would be a preferable cam design for this setup?

What are parts costs alone?

If I brought my long block to a reputable shop what could I expect to pay for labor and ancillaries like cam chains, gaskets, etc? A ballpark figure would be OK at this point.

Has anyone here done this specific upgrade from an early 3.0 with CIS to Webers, either with or w/o cams?

All feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 11:02 PM