Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Late model Miata mirrors
jridder
post May 18 2004, 07:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 656

I like the styling of the original 914 mirrors. However, mine are a little "wobbly" and the one "power" option that I like is power mirrors (or at least ones I can remotely adjust while I'm seated). I saw a reference to Miata mirrors on the board and looked into them.

I got some off Ebay from a 2000 Miata. They were silver, and my car is yellow, so I repainted them. That has been a major pain in the ass. I smoothed out all of the Mazda part numbers on the outside bottom of the mirror as well as a flashing line around the mirror from when they were molded.

I can't find spray paint that is the correct shade yellow as my car. I suppose I need to go to the dealer to get it (it's a GM color). I just rattle canned it and have called it "good enough" until I get a repaint (which I probably need after stretching the rear fenders in the future).

On the driver's side I was able to use the stock rear mounting hole for the rear mounting hole of the new mirror. However, I wouldn't recommended this project for those that aren't ready to really rape their doors. I had to drill additional hole for the front mounting screws, another for a locating stud and a big one for the wiring to pass through. I still need to drill two more to get the wires into the car.

The passenger side required yet another hole since the mounting holes on the mirrors are not symmetttrical (not even close). I welded some M6-1 nuts to some plates and JB welded the plates inside the doors. This should hold well enough since it only needs to hold while I'm tightening the bolts.

I'm not finished yet and still need to do the wiring and run it through the doors and body. Then I hve to mount the switch and wire it up.

BTW, the mirrors shown in the image posted by "East Coaster" in this thread - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=ST&f=2&t=9152 - are early model Miata mirrors, not late model. I prefer the more angular late model style to the early, rounded style.

Jonathan

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jridder
post May 18 2004, 07:03 PM
Post #2

Front view.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jridder
post May 18 2004, 07:03 PM
Post #3

Top right.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 18 2004, 07:10 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

that looks better than i thought it would!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
lagunero
post May 19 2004, 03:12 AM
Post #5

Donkey Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,531

Thanks for the post jridder. I've been looking for those exact mirrors for sometime now and even bid and lost (maybe to you) on ebay. Although they look as good as I thought, I'm not ready to massacre my virgin doors. They do look sweet.
+Quote Post
East coaster
post May 19 2004, 06:55 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 487
Region Association: None

Did you wire them up yet? Just wondering what you used for switches and where you put them. BTW - They look cool!
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post May 19 2004, 08:52 AM
Post #7

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

Very nice look, much better than I guessed! like a "sleek" flag mirror!
+Quote Post
jridder
post Aug 2 2004, 01:16 PM
Post #8

I have been using the Miata mirrors for the last month or so. I still haven't wired them up, but they are nice and stable with my stiffly sprung car. I was not able to use them in the position pictured above. They need to be rotated out at the rear of the mirror. This means that you can't use any of the stock mounting holes. Since this is the case, it would probably be better to also mount them a little further back.

I haven't seen what a Miata door looks like without the mirror on it, but it must have a recessed mount for the mirror. On my 914 the plastic bezel sits up about an 1/8". I got some 3/6" thick black, closed cell, foam rubber from a hardware store and made new gaskets. This looks pretty good.

Jonathan
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:25 AM