Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Climb in there, first step for any new purchased 914
Trekkor
post May 22 2004, 11:09 AM
Post #1

I do things...

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I suggest that you get as far in the engine compartment as you can.

Look at everything closley. Feel ALL the hoses and touch all the connections. Make a list of all the cracked or brittle hoses, gaskets or seals that are even suspect. Pop off the air cleaner box to get a closer look.

If you haven't replaced it yourself, it could be original.

Reason I bring this up? I'm now after 6 months in this car doing this and finding all kinds of funk.
Cracked and split hoses, loose and leaking cold start injector, missing thermostat cable, cracked engine compartment seal, etc.

Chase down all the gremlins. Kill the naughty vacuum leaks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

A full scale top end hose and gasket seal replacement can be done in an afternoon with just a little effort and money . Result is a clean, smooth running 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Nov 12 2004, 11:57 PM
Post #2

I do things...

And crawl under the car and twist all the fuel lines to be sure they aren't leaky.

KT
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 13 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Nov 13 2004, 03:13 PM
Post #4

I did it MY WAY

Member No.: 2,757
Region Association: Southern California

What size fuel lines?

I think I'm in DIRE need for one... might as well replace all... but what a PITA this is gonna be. I know I have a leak somewhere on the right side of the engine compartment, it's leaking down... possibly from the components below and behind the battery tray. Is that the fuel regulator/filter? Or???
+Quote Post
brp914
post Nov 13 2004, 03:57 PM
Post #5

Unregistered

This isnt really a PITA. You want PITA try replacing ign. switch in 911. Actually I would escalate that job to royal PITA. Dont fret. Get yourself several meters of 7mm fuel line from Perf. Prod. and redo your engine compartment. Its common for the extensions to the injectors to leak, although I've also the injectors leak and if so they are junk. There is not a regulator or filter behind and below the battery, atleast not on a stock injected motor.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Nov 13 2004, 06:13 PM
Post #6

I do things...

I just replaced ALL the rubber fuel lines under the battery tray. Major bummer. Got a fuel shower. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

There is a fuel filter under there ('74 2.0 ). It has it's own little clip in "house". Change it too. Write the date on it in permanent marker.

First plug the fuel supply hose to end any further showering. They make a plastic fuel line kinking pliers with a lock to do this.

I stuck a pencil in the end with a hose clamp.

I say replace them all and start fresh.

KT
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 02:38 AM