Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How To: Rebuild A Door, Make your doors like new again!
jfort
post Jan 18 2021, 08:46 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 18 2021, 11:13 AM) *

I'd like to recommend this thread for the Classics, as it is excellent.

One update though: I used white lithium grease on everything first time I did this years ago, and it gummed up to the point a lot of things too much effort to use—I was worried about breaking something.

So I just did it again, and research led me to try use sparing amounts of Wurth HHS-2000 / HHS-K Penetrating High Temperature Lubricant. What a difference: Everything works even better than it did last time—it all feels new.

Now, if I can just figure out how to clean all the gunk out of my early window regulators…

By coincidence, I just purchased the WURTH spray lubricant and sprayed a finger today. It is interesting. Runny liquid at first so I can see how it gets in places. But then there is almost waxy coating. I can see how it would be effective in our doors. I saw it in a YouTube doing maintenance on a Panamera.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
flat4guy
post Jan 18 2021, 09:10 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 20,484
Region Association: Northern California

Did the clips break when removing the top piece of the door trim? Mine trim needs some re gluing but I am afraid to remove without buying any clips.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 18 2021, 09:24 PM
Post #23

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(jfort @ Jan 18 2021, 09:46 PM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 18 2021, 11:13 AM) *

I'd like to recommend this thread for the Classics, as it is excellent.

One update though: I used white lithium grease on everything first time I did this years ago, and it gummed up to the point a lot of things too much effort to use—I was worried about breaking something.

So I just did it again, and research led me to try use sparing amounts of Wurth HHS-2000 / HHS-K Penetrating High Temperature Lubricant. What a difference: Everything works even better than it did last time—it all feels new.

Now, if I can just figure out how to clean all the gunk out of my early window regulators…

By coincidence, I just purchased the WURTH spray lubricant and sprayed a finger today. It is interesting. Runny liquid at first so I can see how it gets in places. But then there is almost waxy coating. I can see how it would be effective in our doors. I saw it in a YouTube doing maintenance on a Panamera.

Sounds like bicycle "dry lube". Goes on wet, the carrier evaporates and then the paraffin way remains. Companies like Wurth have good stuff but nothing proprietary.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 19 2021, 12:26 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

So…I spoke to my mechanic today. I may be redoing my door lock trio—as he noted the HHS is okay but can gum up with time. He also mentioned a horror story, in which customer applied it to the window guides (vertical) and the HHS aged into something that paint thinner wouldn't remove.

Said it's good for hinges, but that he's fallen in love with Corrosion X (available on Amazon). Just ordered a can to see what it's about.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 07:23 AM