Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DIY Strings Alignment Setup
Bartlett 914
post May 17 2011, 06:02 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(wobbletop @ May 16 2011, 11:26 PM) *

QUOTE(fasthonda @ May 15 2011, 09:14 AM) *

You need to take the track width into consideration or the strings will not be parallel. The rear track width of the 914 is 1 icnh greater than the front. You need to add 1/2 inch when setting the distance from the front hub vs the rear to achieve parallelism.

That's close but the camber difference between front and rear will make the distance slightly different than the difference in track.

Not if you measure at the center of the wheel.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tradisrad
post May 17 2011, 09:19 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 6,815
Region Association: Northern California

how to string align from smart racing.

I am a little confused on his instruction where he says " Toe-in: the measurement is longer on the leading edge of the
wheel than the trailing edge of the wheel." This seems backwards to me and he has it switched with "Toe-out: the measurement is shorter on the leading edge of the wheel than the trailing edge of the wheel." Is he correct with his terminology?
+Quote Post
yeahmag
post May 17 2011, 10:22 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,946
Region Association: Southern California

And here are some videos from yesterday's trip to Streets of Willow with PCA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIr2D6OsyYY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Ontk23idE
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 17 2011, 12:05 PM
Post #44

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(tradisrad @ May 17 2011, 08:19 AM) *
Is he correct with his terminology?

Yes, he is correct. The distance on the front edge (leading edge) of the wheel will be larger for toe-in.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
yeahmag
post May 17 2011, 12:09 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Remember it's the distance from the *outside* of the car to the wheel... So toe in will have a greater distance from the string to the front half of the rim:

| /

vs toe out which will have less distance from the string to the front of the rim (in relation to the back of the rim):

| \

-Aaron
+Quote Post
tradisrad
post May 17 2011, 01:14 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 6,815

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 17 2011, 11:05 AM) *

QUOTE(tradisrad @ May 17 2011, 08:19 AM) *
Is he correct with his terminology?

Yes, he is correct. The distance on the front edge (leading edge) of the wheel will be larger for toe-in.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

ah (or should I say duh), from the string. I am more familiar with toe plates...
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 17 2011, 01:39 PM
Post #47

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

QUOTE(yeahmag @ May 17 2011, 11:09 AM) *

Remember it's the distance from the *outside* of the car to the wheel... So toe in will have a greater distance from the string to the front half of the rim:

| /

vs toe out which will have less distance from the string to the front of the rim (in relation to the back of the rim):

| \

-Aaron

Just to clarify, your words make sense but your stick figures threw me because I usually see figures with front of car at top of diagram. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Look at your feet on the ground. Pivot on your heels, move your toes in. Toe in.
I walk like a duck, I like a little toe out so I can turn quicker. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.ustudy.in-3573-1305661169.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
enderw88
post May 17 2011, 03:23 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 12,960
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(tradisrad @ May 17 2011, 07:19 AM) *

how to string align from smart racing.

I am a little confused on his instruction where he says " Toe-in: the measurement is longer on the leading edge of the
wheel than the trailing edge of the wheel." This seems backwards to me and he has it switched with "Toe-out: the measurement is shorter on the leading edge of the wheel than the trailing edge of the wheel." Is he correct with his terminology?

See the attached diagram. Remember you are measuring from the OUTSIDE of the car, not the centerline.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
karnak
post Jun 15 2011, 08:37 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 12,090
Region Association: Canada

Good info here. i have done a string alignment and then taken it to a shop and they had little to do.

however, i have to ask, since it seems hard to find here on the forum but this may be the best place for it...

[if i set the car up per the stock specs, all will be fine for the street...] but if i want to autocross the car then a different set of specs should be used.

does any body (from experience) want to post what they have used / found to be a good autocross setup...?

thanks!
Gary
+Quote Post
yeahmag
post Jun 15 2011, 08:43 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

1/16" to in in the rear. 1/8" or more toe out in the front. As much caster and camber as you can get in the front. 2 degrees in the rear of camber.

I muck with it all the time though...
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jun 15 2011, 08:44 PM
Post #51

Twodollardoug

Member No.: 12,492

this is the website i used to string align my car with. http://raystrax.com/ha/914/Align914_Forward.html he also gives suggested specs.
+Quote Post
dion9146
post Jul 22 2011, 02:12 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 2,071
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jun 15 2011, 10:44 PM) *

this is the website i used to string align my car with. http://raystrax.com/ha/914/Align914_Forward.html he also gives suggested specs.

I've string aligned my car a number of times before with limited success, but I really never executed a level of precision that I should have. I used the above method this time to redo my alignment again due to a nasty vibration that I was starting to get around 73 mph.

The only thing I did that isn't in the instructions involved building a set of 3" platforms to sit level under each tire allowing me to reach up under and adjust the tie rods without needing to lift the car. This made a huge difference and probably allowed me to get it right this time.

I took it for a short drive around the block and everything felt good. Then yesterday I drove it to a client meeting, and I was running late. I got on the highway and hammered it - decided not to look down until I started to feel a bit of vibration - 110 mph. I think it worked this time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

D
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: scooter73

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 02:44 PM