Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buying a '75 1.8, Approximate Value?
BMartin914
post May 30 2004, 11:16 AM
Post #1

|||

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,128
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I recently came across a 75 1.8 for sale. The only problem is that the car is several hundred miles away.
I have correspoded with the owner and plan to see the car in a few weeks.

The owner describes the car as being in "very good condition." The car supposedly has very little/no
structural rust, battery tray rust, long. rust, etc. The car does have one very visible spot of rust
on the pass side rear qtr panel. Rust through caused by a loose piece of sealing foam. The car also has
the typical 1st gear synchro problems -- tough to get into 1st when stopped, shifts fine when shifted
slowly.

I am trying to feel out the value of this car. I am thinking $2500-2800. What would others offer for a car in
similar condition?

I have a couple of pics that i will post to give folks some idea of the car.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post May 30 2004, 11:18 AM
Post #2

|||

Another Pic

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post May 30 2004, 11:20 AM
Post #3

|||

Interior Pic

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 30 2004, 12:38 PM
Post #4

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Welcome to 914club. I saw that you had joined the local Colorado email list.

personally I'd want to get into that car lower than $2500. It's hard to really say for sure without looking at it myself though. I would also highly recommend you find someone local to the seller that knows 914s go and have a really good look at it. Unless you plan on making the trek yourself with the possibility of turning around and going home and NOT purchasing the car.
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post May 30 2004, 12:48 PM
Post #5

|||

I am waiting for some more pics of the "trouble areas" for rust before I make the drive. According to the owner, the seals, etc. have all been maintained/replaced to prevent rust.
+Quote Post
brant
post May 30 2004, 03:53 PM
Post #6

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47

Nice to meet a potential denver teener....

I'd have to recommend that you play it conservatively on the rust and have it looked at by a knowledgeable teener person.... there are quite a few people on this group that would lend a hand, and also a mutual respect that no one would "steal it from you"

roughly what area is the car in?

with the rust issue... I don't think its possible to be too careful... Most people that haven't restored, painted, or spent the cash to have someone do the work, do not even realize how much these cars rust... Not to sound to negative, but its a bad sign that there is any visible rust... I'd hate for you to end up with a car that made you miserable or cost you a fortune due to rust...

most of the seals in these cars have absolutely nothing to do with the areas that rust... so the owner's comments may mean it is a well cared for car or it may mean that he is clueless.....

good luck either way
brant
+Quote Post
Levi
post May 30 2004, 04:14 PM
Post #7

Lick my nuts

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,783

Hey any of you Denver boys know a 914 owner that Works for one of the local NAPA store's ??
My oldest son lives in Denver and gets his parts there and was just talking to him the other day....I'm just curious.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post May 30 2004, 04:30 PM
Post #8

|||

The car is located in Northern NM (Santa Fe area)

When asked about rust the owner told me that before he bought the car he looked at it very carefully. He tells me that he has owned Porsche cars in the past and knows what to look for (when it comes to rust) and also knows how to prevent it.

It is his belief that he has done everything he can to keep the car "tight" in order to prevent leakage and rust. I think that he has only owned the car for 3-5 years.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post May 30 2004, 04:38 PM
Post #9

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

The owner can say what he lkies, read previous postings on this website.
If the car already has rust it"has" rust. You have to go and look at the car to know if it is worth $2500.
Take advantage of the world wide network that the 914 club provides by having someone who lives near the car look at it for you. Even if you have to pay for there gas money or buy them lunch it is money well spent.
CCLINPPI
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post May 30 2004, 04:58 PM
Post #10

|||

I think that that is exactly what I will do.

$2500 too much for a 90% rust-free (75 1.8) car?
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 30 2004, 05:14 PM
Post #11

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20

Hey any of you Denver boys know a 914 owner that Works for one of the local NAPA store's ??
My oldest son lives in Denver and gets his parts there and was just talking to him the other day....I'm just curious.

Sounds like Grant. Red 914 2.0/4 and works at NAPA. I don't think he's a member here though.

$2500 too much for a 90% rust-free (75 1.8) car?

It could be a good buy. Depends on what the rest of the car looks/runs/drives like.
+Quote Post
Levi
post May 30 2004, 05:23 PM
Post #12

Lick my nuts

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,783

QUOTE(Gint @ May 30 2004, 03:14 PM)
Sounds like Grant. Red 914 2.0/4 and works at NAPA. I don't think he's a member here though.

I think my son said he had seen a red car in the parking lot at the NAPA store. the guy told him he was in a local club.
I was just curious.
Thanks..
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post May 31 2004, 07:55 AM
Post #13

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47

BMartin914

The seller is right in 1 of the 5 or so areas that the cars rust.... ie: yes sometimes the seals allow water to leak into the passenger compartment and the water sits under the seats and rust the floor pan... However this is not necessary a seal as much as it is attributed to how the rear window is glued in...

So thats one item, problem is that its (in my opinion) the lesser of the evil rust areas.. The more common items are below the batter tray where there is absolutely no seal to replace. The engine lid is open for air flow, and the bottom of this area is also exposed to the road, so it doesn't matter what "seals" the guy replaces it either is rusty or is not. More a matter of how the charging system worked in the past, the amount of rain the car was exposed to, and how meticulously the owners have serviced the battery area.

Another big (structural) rust area is the longitudinals. Again, this is not a matter of rubber seals. They are intentionally open to facilitate drainage. Problem is that the road wheels tend to pack dirt up into this area. If All of the previous owners bothered to remove the rocker panels annually and clean the dirt out then the car is likely pretty good.. but otherwise the dirt up there can turn to mud and hold moisture against this frame.. then the structural integrity is compromised. In a climate like NM it may be dry enough that cumulated dirt, never got damp and didn't rust... but its hard to say. removing the rockers is kinda a pain in the but, and not a service item that the average joe would get done by grease monkey.....

let me get my directions out and email you tomorrow or later today.
brant
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post May 31 2004, 09:46 AM
Post #14

|||

Thanks for the info. I have discussed all of those areas with the seller and he says that there is no serious rust. I won't believe that until I get some more pictures or feedback from someone who has SEEN the car and has no stake in its sale.

I have no idea how well taken care of the car was before it was purchased by the CO. For some reason I doubt that a kid (the driver) would have had the forethought to remove the rockers and clean them out. I also doubt that the PO would have done this, judging from the rear qtr rust.

The owner seems to have had experience with rusted out floor pans in a late 60s Porsche. So he has some perspective.

Thanks Brant, let me know what you need and I will help you out as much as I can!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 03:13 PM