Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Here is what a Winshield trim tool looks like, Many could probably make there own
aircooledboy
post Jun 2 2004, 08:17 PM
Post #1

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've noticed glass related Q's here pretty often, and recently the topic of windshield trim removal came up on another thread. Racer Chris made a damn good tool of his own, especially for never having seen one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) It occurred to me that many of the same people who are removing windshields are the same type of people who would probably have the ability to make this tool if they knew what it looked like. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Soo... here is what a "reveal molding trim clip tool" looks like.
For scale, the base of the triangle that makes up the tip is exactly one inch, the point on the left is 3/16 deep, and the one on the right is 5/16. Often one point works better than another depending on a lot of variables. Ya just try one, and if it don't woyk, try da udda.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Jun 2 2004, 08:23 PM
Post #2

It drives me NUTS when writers don't know the difference between "there" and
"their." I can't believe I did that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Jun 2 2004, 08:32 PM
Post #3

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

And "winshield". Man I am retarded tonight. I'm gonna go watch South Park before I post again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/givemebeer.gif)
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jun 2 2004, 08:39 PM
Post #4

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

s'okay.

lots of people can't read any better than you can type

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Levi
post Jun 2 2004, 08:42 PM
Post #5

Lick my nuts

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,783

QUOTE(aircooledboy @ Jun 2 2004, 06:17 PM)
moulding
woik,

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif)
Oh but you missed a few... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
4WheelDrifter
post Jun 2 2004, 08:46 PM
Post #6

Having a mid-life crisis @ 35

Member No.: 1,934

Tool with a tool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)

j/k
+Quote Post
lmcchesney
post Jun 3 2004, 07:16 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,381

Thanks Aircooledboy.
How thin is the tool? I can imagine how to use the tool Chris made, but how would youl use this tool?
L. McC
+Quote Post
Phoenix-MN
post Jun 3 2004, 09:35 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,590

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Levi
post Jun 3 2004, 09:46 AM
Post #9

Lick my nuts

Member No.: 1,783

QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Jun 3 2004, 07:35 AM)
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Huh??
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Jun 3 2004, 11:17 AM
Post #10

It is very simple to use, but a little tricky to desribe. I'll get my crayons out and see if I can draw a diagram. You slide the tool under the trim, so that one side of the point or the other is parallel to the trim, you slide the tool until it contacts a trim clip. The top edge of each clip is beveled to allow the trim to push it back when you install the molding. The point of the tool will slide slightly between the clip and the molding at the bevel. You rotate the tool, and it pulls the clip back, releasing the trim. On the first clip or two, you push lightly down on the tool as you release the clip, which raises the trim a little (due to the bend in the handle), and prevents the trim from getting re-grabbed by the clip until you have released enough clips to prevent the tension created by the other clips from pulling the trim back down.

As far as thickness of the tool, it is pretty thin (16 gauge maybe??), and hardened. But, the truth is at long as what you make it out of will not bend when you use it, the thinner the better.

Couple important details:
1) The trim on a 914 is VERY soft. You must be careful not to bend it as you are working with it. Even moderate soft bends will be tough to straighten out so they do not show, particularly on nice well polished pieces.

2) The good news is the clips on a 914 are very small and low in holding force relative to most clips of this type. You shouldn't have to crank on them to get them to release, and if you are patient, you can get the trim off w/o bending it.

3) It is very common for windshields which have been replaced to have whatever sealer was used to install it have oozed into the channel around the glass so that it is holding in the trim somewhat. This it not as big a problem as it sounds though. You just need to take a ultility knife with the blade fully extended, and run it up and down the problem areas a few times under the trim. Again, patience is a virtue here. Use a new sharp blade, and you can free up even the hardest urethane glued trim.

Well, apparently the gerbil fell off his wheel in the POS scanner here, so I had to take a picture instead, and the quality ain't that great.

No laughing at the retarded kid's drawing skills here:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Jun 3 2004, 11:36 AM
Post #11

slightly better pic of scribble:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
4WheelDrifter
post Jun 3 2004, 03:01 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Jun 3 2004, 11:35 AM)

Well you just proved that theory, I read it like it was typed correctly. I think I just entered the Twilight Zone.
+Quote Post
andys
post Jun 3 2004, 03:13 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

Ok, Chris, your sketch finally tells the whole story!! Thanks a bunch. Perhaps this should go into the Classic's section.

Andy
+Quote Post
4WheelDrifter
post Jun 3 2004, 04:30 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(andys @ Jun 3 2004, 05:13 PM)
Perhaps this should go into the Classic's section.

Andy

Andy, good idea. Just remove my stupid comments.
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Feb 4 2005, 02:15 PM
Post #15

robots!

Member No.: 3,020

that is a beautiful drawing! looks like a simple enough job with that special tool. thanks alot for the cool how-to! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif)
+Quote Post
MattR
post Feb 4 2005, 02:21 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

Dude, where did you get that "scratch pad"??? Thats effin hilarious!!!
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Feb 4 2005, 03:07 PM
Post #17

Seeing that drawing still makes me giggle. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) It is a damn good thing "drawing" is not part of my job description. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/w00t.gif)

The pad came from my 500 year old, gravel voiced, never less than 3 cigarettes burning at a time, beer drinking, NASCAR loving secretary. God Bless her. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 01:54 AM