Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HELP!, Now recharging batteries in Albert Lea, MN
rnellums
post May 30 2011, 07:20 PM
Post #1

Professional Enthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

SO my teener broke down as I was driving out of South Dakota. I was able to get it towed for free to Mitchell, SD. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

Here is what is broken: The bolt that attaches the Impeller hub to the crankshaft has sheared off inside the crankshaft. This caused the impeller hub to fall off the crankshaft and caused the generator to stop functioning as well as engine cooling to cease. Once the hub fell off the crankshaft, the woodruff key fell out too.

Here is my situation: the car is parked at a transmission shop here in Mitchell. I have a full set of sockets and wrnches, as well ass assorted 914 tools, but no jacks or jackstands. I have removed the forward engine tin, as well as the belt, impeller and hub. I have also removed the front half of the impeller shroud.

My plan of attack: I want to ask the transmission shop to use an extractor to remove what is left of the bolt with the engine still in the car. if they can remove it I will need to locate a new woodruff key, at which point I should be able to re-install the impeller using a new bolt and a lockwasher since the old bolt is shot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

My Plan B: if I can't remove what is left of the bolt, I plan to rent a U Hauls truck and trailer and pull the car the rest of the way to Muncie, Indiana.

I would really appreciate some input on whether my reasoning is sound, if I'm an imbecile, or if I'm SOL

thanks in advance,

Ross
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 30 2011, 07:24 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Tow it and drop the motor. It will save you much agravation and possible further damage.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post May 30 2011, 08:32 PM
Post #3

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 30 2011, 05:24 PM) *

Tow it and drop the motor. It will save you much agravation and possible further damage.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 30 2011, 09:29 PM
Post #4

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Anyone know how much a oneway rental for a u-haul would cost from Mitchell to Muncie? That's close to 900 miles. plus gas...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

I would try to fix it if I were you. Even if you had to hire a stall in the tranny shop and pay their guys to help for the day. If nothing is damaged except a bolt you can get a woodruff key at the hardware store.

PM me if you need parts. I'm about 6 hours away if your desperate and UPS will do one day shipping from here. I'll pm you my cell.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
wertygrog
post May 30 2011, 09:37 PM
Post #5

wertygrog

Member No.: 5,114
Region Association: Southern California

This sounds like an easy fix. A woodruff key can be found at any hardware store. You should be able to extract that bolt, worst case with the engine out.
+Quote Post
Prospectfarms
post May 30 2011, 09:43 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,801
Region Association: Upper MidWest

That is a pretty serious issue that's located in tough spot, and its put you in a tougher one.

Whether to attempt a field repair depends on some facts missing from your narrative. How's the weather? How much money do you have? If the answer is "not a lot" I suggest cutting your losses and renting a truck. It's against the law, but with a couple of 2x 12's and a come-a-long, you could roll your car into an 18' box truck and be home in a few days. Just be sure you tie it down well.

If I recall correctly, lots of important parts inside a 901 transmission turn even when you are coasting in neutral, which makes sense given the transaxle is part of the gearbox. Get some expert advice before putting your car on a tow dolly.

Is there a stub of sheared-off bold sticking out on to which someone could spot weld a nut? Has anyone from the shop where you're parked looked at the problem?

Using an easy out at that spot entails engine removal IMHO. Maybe they'd let you use their lift?

One time my ancient Volvo wouldn't start in a Wendy's parking lot in a very small town in Tn. I was hundreds of miles from my home an had about 24 hours to get to the Miami airport for an overseas flight.

I walked two miles to a junkyard to buy a starter. They didn't have one, but one of the guys gave me a ride to another junk yard seven more miles down the road. That yard had a crate-full. We tested them with an old battery until we found the best one and then someone else gave me a ride back to my car. I was on the road an hour later.

You just never know.

Good luck!
+Quote Post
rnellums
post May 30 2011, 10:28 PM
Post #7

Professional Enthusiast

unfotunately there isn't any bolt still sticking out of the engine. I am nervous about asking the shop to do too much work because I have the distinct feeling that once they start taking parts off it I wont be allowed to lay my hands on it till its fixed and they have all my $$$. I am planning on having the shop guys look at it tomorrow. The weather has been awful all week, but it is supposed to turn nice for the rest of the week.

I feel like I have to at least try a repair while I'm here, if that goes south, its up into a box truck as suggested. My current plan is to prep the engine for complete removal so that if the shop is uncomfortable with attempting the repair in-situ it should cost an arm and a leg to remove it.

Rick, I really appreciate your offer and will be sure to take you up on it should the need arise.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post May 30 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

See if AAA will do the tow if you buy a membership.
+Quote Post
stugray
post May 30 2011, 11:56 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

I would help if I could. I have all the parts & tools you would need.
I also have a trailer.

You would have to get ~580 miles from where you are to Longmont, CO. though.

Stu
+Quote Post
rnellums
post May 31 2011, 05:35 AM
Post #10

Professional Enthusiast

I already used up my 200 mile tow from AAA, so thats right out. Stu, I originally came from Denver, its just looking like I shouldnt have gone to yellowstone on my way to Indiana.

-Ross
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 31 2011, 05:52 AM
Post #11

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20

Ross... man that sucks! Talk to the shop, but if they're really unwilling to let you work on your own junk in their shop I think that will cost you in the long run. That bolt is going to be bitch to get out.
+Quote Post
Prospectfarms
post May 31 2011, 06:00 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 12,801
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Gint @ May 31 2011, 07:52 AM) *

Ross... man that sucks! Talk to the shop, but if they're really unwilling to let you work on your own junk in their shop I think that will cost you in the long run. That bolt is going to be bitch to get out.

+Quote Post
914 shifter
post May 31 2011, 06:38 AM
Post #13

airhead

Member No.: 12,111
Region Association: North East States

good luck with your endeavor keep us posted (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
majkos
post May 31 2011, 07:33 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,729

dam Ross! this sucks!
ok thats over

Man up! could be a easy fix,
but plan for not so easy access to the bolt

whats bugging me is this is the SECOND time the key broke
an unheard thing (broken key) the first time.

definly keep us in the loop of what's what

wouldn't hurt to be friendly with the guys
show them it's just a fancy VW
need jackstand to be safe

hang in there dude
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post May 31 2011, 07:53 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Upgrade your AAA and it will give you a longer tow. I think the plan is called premium
+Quote Post
mojorisen914
post May 31 2011, 08:39 AM
Post #16

Visit your local strip club

Member No.: 6,403

QUOTE(majkos @ May 31 2011, 09:33 AM) *

dam Ross! this sucks!
ok thats over

Man up! could be a easy fix,
but plan for not so easy access to the bolt

whats bugging me is this is the SECOND time the key broke
an unheard thing (broken key) the first time.

I'm wondering what went wrong from your fix on the last one? Something strange is going on there.
I wouldn't put the car in the back of the rental truck. If that thing gets moving around in there; it would cost a lot of damage and the rental company will screw you. No where really to even tie one down correctly. Rent a trailer too and tow it on the trailer.

Keep us posted bud.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 31 2011, 09:27 AM
Post #17

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Guy's renting a U-Haul truck is outragously expensive. I did that when I flew out to LA and bought a 59 MGA. I drove the car about 10 miles after paying for it and heard a rod knocking. The rental place wanted 1K for the truck and another $ 400.00 for the trailer plus gas cost about $ 550.00 to get us home. We could have had a hauler transport the car for less but the biggest part of the deal is it would have cost us $ 600.00 each for plane fare to fly out of LAX on short notice.

I talked the rental guy into letting us take the 17' truck without the trailer. We went to Home Depot and bought two 2x10's, some 2x4's, a cordless screw gun and some ratchet straps. We found a loading dock we could back the MGA up on, Backed the truck up to the dock, placed the planks as ramps and drove into the cube truck. We screwed the 2x4's to the wood floor in the cube truck and used the ratchet straps to hold the car to the 2x4's screwed to the floor like chalk blocks . We placed plastic under the car to catch any oil drips which was the rental guys only real concern. He said you can haul anything you want in the truck but don't get any oil on the floor. People need to haul furniture in there...

Anyway, you can do it. The trick is getting it loaded.

So, for $ 1400.00 you could pull the engine, rent a truck from home depot to haul the engine to a machine shop and hve them extract the broken bolt, fix the keyway and pay the tranny shop to reinstall the engine. $ 1400.00 could go along way to getting you back on the road. Just MHO.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Ferg
post May 31 2011, 10:06 AM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Ross, that sucks, wish I could help.

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 31 2011, 11:47 AM
Post #19

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

If you can beg another 50 miles or so out of AAA you can get to Sioux Falls. There you might be able to find a VW/Porsche shop that will know what to do. The engine drop is a 30-45 minute job. Unfortunately, the only thing in Mitchell is the Corn Palace and seeing that isn't worth the aggravation of seeing the signs every 100 yards on the freeway as you approach Mitchell from either direction...

Edit: check that. I was off by almost 50%. Sioux Falls is 73 miles away from you. TDS Auto Repair works on VW and should be able to help you out...
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post May 31 2011, 12:50 PM
Post #20

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Lotsa ideas, little real life experience. If the bolt broke and the fan came off, the hub, and most likely the crank, are toast. You can't find metric woodruff keys just anywhere, especially in the middle of SAE country. Even if you could, the key merely locates the pulley on the crank, it doesn't actually hold anything. The "hold" is supplied by the wedge taper fit of the hub to the crank, and that's no longer a likelihood. I see a rebuild in the works, not a field repair. Store the car, find a ride home, come back for it with a trailer.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 08:56 AM