Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Windshield frame damage, Has anyone here replaced one entirely?
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 8 2004, 12:49 PM
Post #1

That's my ride.

Group: Members
Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

I found that my windshield frame has damage. It seems that the car was in some kind of accident where the frame got pushed in, beaten and battered.

The previous owner did a bondo job on it, and I've since removed all the bondo and discovred some pretty sad metal. Luckily there is not any serious rust, just a small amount of surface rust on the inside of the car by the dashboard where the hoop joins to the body. Its at this point where the bending of the hoop cracked off paint and exposed bare metal.

Question is, how do I repair this? Do I replace the whole windshield hoop, do I try to work the metal so it becomes smooth? Should I take it to a shop and have them check the alignment/pull out the frame on a celeste rack?

Here are some pictures...

-Tony

This is the worst of it, the bottom of the frame has some ugly damage. I guess this could be fixed but I don't know how. Maybe welding small pieces of metal over it? Or removing the bad parts and welding in new metal????

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 8 2004, 12:49 PM
Post #2

That's my ride.

In this one you can see the gap between the frame and the window is not quite right.... However, this may just be that the window is misaligned. I need to check this.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Jun 8 2004, 12:52 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Checking the alignment may not be a bad idea if you suspect the car was in a rollover accident. Maybe people here will be able to tell you areas to look at for warping/creases. However I suspect time on an alignment table costs $$.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 8 2004, 03:45 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

click on the 914Info link on top of each page on this BBS and go to the body-dimensions page.
you'll find all you need to check and see if the frame is tweaked.

i recall Mark de Burger posting about a complete windshield frame replacement a few weeks ago.

ask him or do a search on the board.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Jun 8 2004, 04:12 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I think Mark just replaced the top portion of the hoop.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jun 8 2004, 04:14 PM
Post #6

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

cut the hoop off and go speedster style.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 8 2004, 06:00 PM
Post #7

That's my ride.

i recall Mark de Burger posting about a complete windshield frame replacement a few weeks ago.

Jkeyzer is right, that was a partial repair. It seems like the full replacement is a more daunting task, because it requires setting up the measurements. Although with those measurements you pointed to, I could probably build up a jig from scrap metal to hold it in place while welding.

I will check those dimensions tonigt and see where I stand. I'm wondering if I decide that I need to pull the frame out, how I might do that. It seems as though it would take a lot of force to move the frame evenly.

Seeing as how I have two fenders and a hell hole to repair, I'd like to avoid a whole windshield frame replacement if I can, while making the car look nice still....

-Tony
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 11:04 PM