Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Early rain tray - pre '74, Just to get it documented here
Pat Garvey
post Jun 3 2011, 07:20 PM
Post #1

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

This has been my Quixote for the last several years.

There were two 914-4 rain trays. The early one (pictured) was used from the beginning to sometime in early 73, when it was replaced with a much better form.

I've been attemptimg to find the partno for this long discontinued part, but have had no success. Would have posted it elsewhere.

This early form of rain tray was/is flat-bottomed and supported by L-shaped metal trusses riveted to the engine lid (underside). It's different from the later form, which had molded in horizontal support structures.

Most, if not all of the early trays suffered from from vibration cracking at one or more of the mounting points - probably why it was replaced.

The pic is of my original 72 tray. Note that it has a major split at one of the mounting points. I've bought 5 now & only 2 are better. Niether is good enough for my 914 & I've sent a "mule" to mikey914 for consideration.

Wish I new the partno though.
Pat

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 23)
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jul 24 2011, 12:58 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

Methinks we will need more than 5 subscribers for this piece of Porsche unobtainium to be reproduced. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 25 2011, 07:44 PM
Post #22

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jul 24 2011, 12:58 PM) *

Methinks we will need more than 5 subscribers for this piece of Porsche unobtainium to be reproduced. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Probably so.

So, lets figure this out. There were, by by reckoning, some 40K 914's produced between 69 & early 73 with these trays. I mean worldwide. Let's assume that 10% of these cars still survive. That's 4K trays of that vintage possible.

We all know that many of the 10% remaining cars have been "modified". Yet they still need rain protection. Let's say that 10% of those that haven't been modified, or wish to be restored properly have given up on the original because it hasn't been available for years have gone with the later tray ( a direct replacement authorized by the Factory). A very good replacemnet, by the way.

But let's just imagine that there are even half that number who lust for the original tray. By my reckoning, we're looking at a "possible" run of 2-300 of these trays for officianodos. I think it makes it a possible moneymaker. I wonder how many purists there are out there worldwide. I know that I will pay whatever Mark decides, because I have no choice.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 11 2011, 06:31 PM
Post #23

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif)

Bump of sorts
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Aug 11 2011, 08:40 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 11,782
Region Association: None

Yeah, I was excited to see the thread in the garage.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=137834

I'd definitely be ready to buy one made of fiberglass. It seems ideal by the info I found here as far as heat resistance.
http://www.bgf.com/fiberglass_cloth/default.asp

It seems like it would need some coating, paint? Would it need to be heat resistant paint?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 09:17 PM